Awww....poor babies......

auburnspice

link

Cheaters Feel Cheated: Patriots Fans Want Final 1:40 of Super Bowl XLII Investigated

Posted Feb 9th 2008 1:10PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, Patriots, NFL Fans, Boston, Super Bowl, New York, Featured Stories

In a humorously ironic twist, fans of the New England Patriots are demanding that the NFL investigate the final 1:40 of Super Bowl XLII because -- get this -- they feel cheated.

And no, this is not a joke.

According to the disgruntled Patriots fan who created the original petition on petitiononline.com, the game clock should not have stopped following Brandon Jacobs' fourth-and-one plunge and thus, the game should have ended on the sack of Eli Manning with 50 seconds remaining.

This fan, and the other 7,815 (and counting) who have apparently signed this ridiculous petition, were obviously too busy crying in their beer to realize that it was an administrative time-out. The referee's were determining whether or not to measure the spot -- something that requires a clocks-stoppage under NFL rules. Once the first down was determined without a measurement, the clock was wound and continued to run.

If anything, using the fan's logic, this petition proves that New England shouldn't have had 35 seconds left on their next possession. If anything, they should have had 29 seconds or less.

But hey, what can you expect from fans who say they love their team at 18-0 and then claim they were bored to tears during the greatest Super Bowl of all time?

BOOHOO!!! :bawling:

I recorded the game, and noticed several times the clock was inaccurate, but the clock on the Fox screen may not have been the official clock. On the Giants' opening drive, the onscreen clock stopped at 6:12, but was later reset to 5:01 about the time the Giants kicked the field goal.

On the Patriots' last play with the onscreen clock reading :10, it did not start for a good two seconds after the ball was snapped to Brady.

Patriot fans can cry me a river. :cry3: When the head referee called time out after Jacobs' plunge, he was doing exactly what he's been trained to do.

I'm still a Patriots fan, but I'm not crying. I'm disappointed is all. We'll try again next year. Just as Auburn will. And all teams will. The Giants D was amazing. I do have a few complaints that may have changed the result. But even as good as the Giants D played, the Patriots still had chances to win. First off, I thought it was bad play calling to pass 3 times on the Patriots go ahead TD in the 4th. They should have run the ball at least once to either run some clock out or force a G TO. Going for it on 4th and 13 after the sack instead of a 49 yard FG was also dumb. At a minimum, have Brady pooch kick it if the coach didn't have confidence in the place kicker. Then on that final Giants drive, they had more chances to make plays and didn't. There was an interception chance that went through Ellis Hobb's hands (may have been a tad too tall for him). Then on THE PLAY, they didn't sack Eli and Rodney Harrison couldn't knock the ball out of Tyree's hands. Two chances on one play. The Giants wanted it more.

My only complaints were these:

-WR (Toomer?) stiff armed cornerback in the face before the ball arrived, tapped two feet, and called a completion. It was an obvious offensive pass interference call to me.

-The fumble by Eli or the RB (can't remember - and not the one that was batted forward) that seemed to be recovered by the Pats ended up with the Giants. I dunno. I thought the Pats clearly had it.

I'm a fan of all the pro team from that area. I'm not ashamed of it. I endured many pitiful Patriots seasons before Parcels arrived and started making decent teams. At least the Celtics used to have regularly good years during the Bird years and before, and now amazingly, this year. I'm not defending the cheating, if it is even as widespread over time as some are implying. Right now, all I know of is the first quarter of the first game of this year. Nothing else is proven, and is all rumor, hearsay, and accusation. If it is proven that this has been an ongoing thing, then fine, maybe they deserve the label. But I'm confident that many teams are doing similar things and not getting caught. Just like NCAA football probation for teams. Some get caught, many get away with it.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this.

WDE anyway

I recorded the game, and noticed several times the clock was inaccurate, but the clock on the Fox screen may not have been the official clock. On the Giants' opening drive, the onscreen clock stopped at 6:12, but was later reset to 5:01 about the time the Giants kicked the field goal.

On the Patriots' last play with the onscreen clock reading :10, it did not start for a good two seconds after the ball was snapped to Brady.

Patriot fans can cry me a river. :cry3: When the head referee called time out after Jacobs' plunge, he was doing exactly what he's been trained to do.

The official time is kept on the field, by the referee. That way if the scoreboard clock malfunctions or the operator has a head space timing issue, the game can continue. Also, if the play clock is not working, the backjudge will keep it on the field.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

The official time is kept on the field, by the referee. That way if the scoreboard clock malfunctions or the operator has a head space timing issue, the game can continue. Also, if the play clock is not working, the backjudge will keep it on the field.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

I believe the Fox clock was kept by :homer:

Archived