Where have we heard this before?

RunInRed

Any one else a little uneasy that his positions seem to move with the political winds?

-----------------------------------------------

McCain Vows to Hold Line on Taxes

By Zachary A. Goldfarb

Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the likely Republican nominee for president who is seeking to shore up support among conservatives, said today that he would not raise taxes under any circumstances.

"In fact, I could see an argument if our economy continues to deteriorate, for lower interest rates, lower tax rates and certainly decreasing corporate tax rates, which are the second-highest in the world," McCain said on ABC's "This Week."

Even though McCain has neared locking up the GOP nomination, he still faces wariness among many fiscal conservatives because he voted twice against President Bush's tax cut proposals. Democrats have been using the tax issue, too, to take aim at McCain's reputation as a straight-talker, noting that he originally opposed the tax cuts, but later supported them, and now wants to make them permanent.

"I admired Senator McCain when he stood up and said that it offended his conscience to support the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy in a time of war," Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) said last week. "But somewhere along the road to the Republican nomination, the Straight Talk Express lost its wheels, because now he's all for those same tax cuts."

McCain replied that he has wanted the tax cuts to be made permanent "for a long time" but that he has also long argued that Congress needs to restrain spending.

"Spending restraint is why our base is not energized. Spending restraint is why we are having to borrow money from China, and we've got to have spending restraints," McCain said. "But to impose on the American people what essentially would be a tax increase of thousands of dollars per family in America is not something I think -- well, I'm sure would be bad for the economy of this country."

:blink: This guy almost sounds as stupid as dubya when he speaks

He is perceived as hypocritical o nthe tax cuts because he voted against them twice, but now is wanting to keep them.

It would make a little more sense to be against them if the economy was healthy, but why raise taxes during a time in which alot of people believe that we are in a loom and gloom recession?

And why are you concerned that McCain might not keep his word on no taxes? Taxes doesn't seem to be a huge issue with you as Obama wants to raise taxes on the "rich" which already pays about 35% in income tax.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

McCain is correct when he says we have the second highest corportate income tax. It's roughly 39.3 %. Japan is the highest at 39.5%.

Ireland is the lowest at 12.5%

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1471.html

It's not a question about taxes. It's a question of character and principles. I find it pretty humorous that the Repub line about John Kerry (flip flopper) is about to come full circle and smack the party in the face. JM is changing his positions literally on a daily basis as he tries to "unite the party." But the more ironic part was that this statement was made on the same day Bush 41 gave his endoresment (read my lips: "no new taxes"). Some times it's fun just to sit back and laugh. The right on this board are going to have more than their hands full trying to defend this guy's multiple and ever-changing positions through the years as November approaches.

We don't need tax increasese, all we really need is spending CUTS. Not decreases in the amount of spending increases, but actual cuts....spending less next year than we're spending this year or the year before.

Archived