Question for dems - delegates?

Tigermike

This election will come down to delegates and it will be close. So what will happen with all those "contested" delegates from the states where Hillary (I think) was not supposed to be and she did anyway and won. Michigan & Florida? Are there others? How will that be handled?

The loser and his/her supporters will be screaming to high heaven.

That is the interesting question.Will the Democartic Party stand up to the Clintons and say NO.These were the rules on Fla and Mich going in,and everyone knew them.Who knows how it is going to play out.It won't be good the longer it drags out.

Nancy has something to say about it.

Pelosi: Voters will determine Dem, not party leaders

By Mike Soraghan

Posted: 03/05/08 12:47 PM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) expressed confidence Wednesday that Democratic primary and caucus voters will settle on a presidential nominee before the Democratic convention in August, with no need for party leaders to weigh in.

“The electoral process has to work its way,” Pelosi said in a session with reporters Wednesday morning. “I was never among those who thought this would be resolved by now.”

Superdelegates, she said, should weigh a number of factors, including whether Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) or Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) won whatever district the delegates represent, as well as “their own belief.”

Pelosi, who is to serve as chairwoman of the convention in Denver, has scrupulously maintained neutrality in the race. She also declined to weigh in on whether Clinton or Obama should pick the other as a vice presidential nominee. (That is something I have predicted for over a year. We will see.)

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), who appeared with Pelosi, said the state-by-state battle for the nomination is good for the party, and no one should “short-circuit” it.

“This is a good process,” he said.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/pelosi-vo...2008-03-05.html

That is the interesting question.Will the Democartic Party stand up to the Clintons and say NO.These were the rules on Fla and Mich going in,and everyone knew them.Who knows how it is going to play out.It won't be good the longer it drags out.

I have wondered about this myself. Either way they go it will be bad news for the party. If you allow those delegates to be seated then you have the Obama camp and supporters crying bloody murder and if you don't seat those delegates it looks as if to say to those states and people "we don't care about your vote and your opinions" which would make the party look bad. Maybe there are some longtime Democrats on this board that can better explain (not how you want it to go down, but how it will) how this is going to break down.

Archived