Big Name Recruits That Busted.

GaCoach

During the 'down time' the thought crossed my mind, which big name recruits never 'panned out' during the CTT era? Two come to my mind. LaMarcus Rowell and Tony Bell. Any others?

Leon Hart - although it may have been more the fact that there were just several better OL ahead of him.

Absolutely. I guess he was so bad I forgot about him! Consistency was his problem. He had many opportunities to start, but never stepped up.

Do juco xfers count? If so:

Greg Smith

Brandon Jacobs

I don't think you can say Jacobs was a bust.

He came in and played behind Carnell and Ronnie left after a year and now makes quite a bit of money in the league.

Greg Smith

Brandon Jacobs

He came in and played behind Carnell and Ronnie left after a year and now makes quite a bit of money in the league.

I would agree on Jacobs. Bad timing. Although, IMO, he was a cancer on the '03 team. Now if he could have been the feature guy at another time, I think he could have done well.

Smith, big time bust!

I went back and looked at Rivals for 2004 & 2005 - should be Seniors or Juniors for this upcoming year to see about star power busts.

2004 4 & 5 star players

Tony Bell - not with team

Leon Hart - ?

Lemarcus Rowell - not with team

Pat Sims - not with team - left early for NFL

2005 4 & 5 star players

Montez Billings - plays - hope to see good things this year

Tray Blackmon - plays - still 5 star

Mike Harness - not with team

Alonzo Horton - not with team

Gabe McKenzie - plays - hope to see good things this year

Prechae Rodriguez - plays

Rex Sharpe - not with team

Tommy Trott - plays - hope to see good things this year

I guess you could say that 50% of our top recruits, that we should be seeing production from now, are busts.

Greg Smith

Brandon Jacobs

Gotcha. I guess I was just thinking of "bust" as "somebody who didn't make as much of an impact at Auburn as we hoped". But I stand corrected... in terms of his career, he's no bust.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Daniel Cobb a highly regarded JUCO transfer as well?

Daniel Cobb was a side note from when the coaches went to see Johnson in JUCO. While, I agree that he was a big bust in general, I don't think he was very highly regarded.

What happened with Gabe McKenzie? Great kid on and off the field. Made some outstanding catches in 2006. Makes the game-winning TD against Kansas State in 2007. Then he just disappears.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Daniel Cobb a highly regarded JUCO transfer as well?

Daniel Cobb was a side note from when the coaches went to see Johnson in JUCO. While, I agree that he was a big bust in general, I don't think he was very highly regarded.

The coaches went to see DC and noticed Rudi Making his own holes then juking a defender, making him fall down, while Rudi ran for the TD in practice.

The coaches went to see DC and noticed Rudi Making his own holes then juking a defender, making him fall down, while Rudi ran for the TD in practice.

Yea DC was the prime target on that trip. RJ was a gift.

Yea DC was the prime target on that trip. RJ was a gift.

Oops, I always thought it was the other way around.

The way I remember hearing the story on Rudi was that the coaches went to see DC and he asked them if Auburn needed a RB. That is crazy because RJ had taken Butler County (Kansas) to the national title by rushing for 373 yards and seven touchdowns in the championship game. He should have been on alot of peoples radar. As bad as our running game was at the time, you would have at least thought we would have known about him beforehand. Maybe we should start a counter thread on "no name recruits that excelled". He would have to make the top 5.

The way I remember hearing the story on Rudi was that the coaches went to see DC and he asked them if Auburn needed a RB. That is crazy because RJ had taken Butler County (Kansas) to the national title by rushing for 373 yards and seven touchdowns in the championship game. He should have been on alot of peoples radar. As bad as our running game was at the time, you would have at least thought we would have known about him beforehand. Maybe we should start a counter thread on "no name recruits that excelled". He would have to make the top 5.

This is right. Cobb kid of helped get Rudi to AU. He told them how good his teamate was adn the rest is history.

What happened with Gabe McKenzie? Great kid on and off the field. Made some outstanding catches in 2006. Makes the game-winning TD against Kansas State in 2007. Then he just disappears.

They just don't use him for some reason. Stewart and he were co-champs in the underutilized contest the past 2 years.

Leon Hart. Insiders say he couldn't play hurt and got hurt "easily". When he signed, he cited the Au engineering curriculum as the reason. I wonder if he got an engineering degree?

I don't consider McKensiea bust. He seems to be a more agile receiver than Trott. Don't know if he is inconsistent in practice or misses asssignments or what.

Not a HS or JUCO signee, but Lorenzo Ferguson was a hyped 4 star that signed because LSU wanted him to take a greyshirt after an injury and he wanted to play immediately. Well, he redshirted with that injury instead and never amounted to much.

Also, wasn't there a kid that was a 4 star that had a similar situation with UT that signed here as a WR? I believe he was Luke Campbell's nephew, and I have never heard his name mentioned since he signed.

Also, wasn't there a kid that was a 4 star that had a similar situation with UT that signed here as a WR? I believe he was Luke Campbell's nephew, and I have never heard his name mentioned since he signed.

ulysses alexander. he transferred to howard in 2006

They just don't use him for some reason. Stewart and he were co-champs in the underutilized contest the past 2 years.

Gabe is far from a bust or under-utilized. Just because to guy doesn't catch a lot of passes doesn't mean he isn't used. Coach Ensminger loves this kid.

Lee Tilley hasn't shown much yet, considering how was regarded.

Unless a miracle happens, and I guess it could, Tilley will never see any significant PT. Very unathletic.

Another guy I thought about the other day was Deandra Green. From what I understand, he was the last of the 'questionable' character guys CTT will ever recruit.

Ask Al Borges. :rolleyes:

Leon Hart. Insiders say he couldn't play hurt and got hurt "easily". When he signed, he cited the Au engineering curriculum as the reason. I wonder if he got an engineering degree?

Yes he did.

Archived