I work at a Gas Refienery and ....

BZ770

I work at the Chevron Refinery in Pascagoula Ms and they are spending money like its going out of style. These old refineries need to be retrofitted every 5-7 years. Do you know what all these chemicals do to metal pipes, conduits, valves etc. Makes them look they are 100 years old in such a short time. Right now they have over 3000 contractors in there working 7 days a week making 25-30 dollars an hour plus 75-100 per diem fixing and building new areas of the plant. And guess what they aren't even blinking an eye to costs. We had 3 trucks the other day bring in wire for 1 job. THese were regular delivery trucks not 18 wheelers and they had over ! million dollars worth of wire on them. I believe that you are seeing gas prices rise so that they can pay for all of this work any comments.

I don't really think that's the driver (no pun intended) of costs. I think you're looking at the result of high gas prices (huge profits) rather than the cause.

Now if we could get a few more refineries built with some of that money...

Are all those repairs a scheduled overhaul or are they a continuation of repairs from the Katrina damage?

With prices high and profits up, they can afford to make the necessary upgrades in order to make the plants profitable. If I am not mistaken they also received some tax cuts to make the up grades.

PS - Years ago I used to sell (a lot) to that plant.

Yep. That's what happens with those "excessive" gas company profits. Mostly, they get plowed right back into the company, not used to light cigars for billionaires.

Archived