Non-Captious Question For Obama Supporters.

For a moment, let's all not be party hacks (Yes, that goes for the Republicans on this board, too), and ponder this not-so-hypothetical question:

After a great deal of pressure by party insiders, Obama knuckles under and makes Hillary the running mate on the Democratic ticket.

How does this affect your support of Obama? and...

How does this affect the electability of Obama?

My honest opinion? Aside from Dennis Kucinich, she would be the absolute worst choice. What's more, if Obama actually won, then there would be an ongoing power struggle in the White House as the Clinton cronies wage guerrilla warfare with the Obama camp.

Your thoughts?

Obama needs to keep the working class and women vote. My solution = take Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano.

Note only would it keep those groups in play for Obama, it would force McCain to put some of his limited resources into Arizona.

Honestly though, Obama would be helped more than hurt if he was to take Clinton on the tickets.

Personally, I think choosing Hillary would be a disaster. I think he can get the support of her voters by choosing someone else with less baggage. And by baggage I mean that loose cannon, alley-cat husband of hers. The last thing on earth Obama needs is having to reign in that loudmouth this fall. If he wouldn't shut up for his wife's sake, Obama can forget keeping him in check.

Plus, right now, the GOP base is not energized. A good pick for VP could help but otherwise the enthusiasm isn't there. Put Hillary on the ticket and I think the GOP base gets fired up just to keep her out. The level of hate for her is still pretty much unabated.

Taking her would be disastrous. While Obama will need some soccer moms to vote for him, he doesn't need the baggage that is Hillary Rodham Clinton. She's said too many nasty things about him and would make for some great GOP ads that would use her words against her own running mate. It'd be beyond terrible.

If Gov. Mark Warner wasn't going to stroll into a Virginia U.S. Senate seat, I may pick him. I'd still give him a strong look provided the Democratic shift that's occurring in his state. Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer would help Obama in the interior west, an extremely Republican area where he could actually steal a few from McCain. Schweitzer is a polished speaker but will also resonate with middle age, middle class white men that voted overwhelmingly for Hillary. He doesn't come from a huge state -- but his moderate issue stances, experience as the state executive, and "outside of the beltway" attitude would play well in the Rust Belt and secure the Yellow Dogs in the southeast.

Schweitzer would be my pick. He's not too conservative that he would upset the base ala Lieberman 2000, but brings a different angle to the Obama campaign while blending into it, as well. As an example, he's a big 2nd amendment rights guy and death penalty supporter but also involved with climate change issues and like Obama, he refuses to take money from special interest PACs. Seeing that the Democratic party has not had a Rocky Mountain states politician on the ticket in over 30 years, this may be just the time to do it.

Whomever it is, it doesn't need to be Sebelius. Seeing that McCain is in the race, it's safe to say that voters will be getting enough sleep during campaign speeches. She's John McCain without the temper and dressed in drag. Boring as the day is long.

I think he would be better served with someone who has a military background and has the ability to cross party lines. Remember, the VP is the leader of the senate, and he/she has a vote. Clinton would be a drag on his campaign. That's my HONEST opinion.

And I said this without bashing him......unlike Win on McCain. Typical.

Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer

I like this guy. He's a center of the road guy. A little to the left, but center. I don't think he helps Obama in the overall electorate, though.

I like this guy. He's a center of the road guy. A little to the left, but center. I don't think he helps Obama in the overall electorate, though.

He'd likely help him in the Mountain region though.

What would be the downside of Wesley Clark?

General Clark would be a guy to look at, but I wonder if Obama would want a current politician. I would like to see a military guy in there if he were elected president.

He'd likely help him in the Mountain region though.

True. It could be a collective help out there.

HRC would be a disaster, particularly once in office. Bill would not go away.

I was a Clark guy in 2004, but I'm not sure he's what Obama needs.

If Gov. Mark Warner wasn't going to stroll into a Virginia U.S. Senate seat, I may pick him. I'd still give him a strong look provided the Democratic shift that's occurring in his state. Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer would help Obama in the interior west, an extremely Republican area where he could actually steal a few from McCain. Schweitzer is a polished speaker but will also resonate with middle age, middle class white men that voted overwhelmingly for Hillary. He doesn't come from a huge state -- but his moderate issue stances, experience as the state executive, and "outside of the beltway" attitude would play well in the Rust Belt and secure the Yellow Dogs in the southeast.

Schweitzer would be my pick. He's not too conservative that he would upset the base ala Lieberman 2000, but brings a different angle to the Obama campaign while blending into it, as well. As an example, he's a big 2nd amendment rights guy and death penalty supporter but also involved with climate change issues and like Obama, he refuses to take money from special interest PACs. Seeing that the Democratic party has not had a Rocky Mountain states politician on the ticket in over 30 years, this may be just the time to do it.

Do they honestly care about Montana and it's limited number of votes in the electoral college (3 votes)? I think that Warner would put VA in play (13 votes), as well as some southern states. I just don't know if Schweitzer would help carry the south.

And what about Kathleen Sebelius from Kansas?

And I agree with everyone, I don't think he takes Clinton. I think he could take just about anyone out there, except Clinton, and still capture 55% of the vote.

Anyone of you have a good, military guy to look at for Obama? Is Biden the guy?

Do they honestly care about Montana and it's limited number of votes in the electoral college (3 votes)?

I don't think it's just about Montana. It's about Montana, Nevada, Colorado, etc. Picking a guy from that region that talks their language and concerns so to speak might help.

Remember, the electoral map is still very tight (see below). Pick off a few Western states like say Montana (3 EVs), Colorado (9), New Mexico (5) and Nevada (5)...all states Bush narrowly won (except Montana) vs Kerry the last time and the Dems could win the presidency this time even without flipping Florida or Ohio. Using the map below from the 2004 election but flipping Montana, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada, that swings 22 electoral votes to the Dems and gives them a win with 273 EVs to the GOPs 264.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/nationa...f=0&elect=0

HRC would be a terrible choice for all of the "baggage" reasons listed above but it goes even further: she completely contradicts his message of changing Washington. She is the definition of the status quo and an inconic representative of the kind of gridlock that Obama states he wants to get past. Obama definitely will move towards the center (some have even suggested Hagel) with his VP pick and that is not her.

Also, keep in mind what Obama has accomplished over the past year - he has literally obliterated the Clinton dynasty with his brilliant campaign and is in the process of completely reshaping the Democratic party. And after all this, to bring her and Bill back into the fold via a spot on ticket? Not going to happen.

This has been talked about before but let's take a second and think about what Obama needs out of a VP (this is very similiar to what JFK needed when he picked LBJ):

- Some one who can attract blue-collar, working-class, white voters

- Some one who has extensive foreign policy experience

- Some one who is ready to be President

- Some one who has the stereotypical Presidential image (think white, Christian, patriotic, elder, male)

- Some one who can help him compete in the Appalachain region (PA, Ohio, WV, etc.)

I'm not sure I know who this candidate is but it's not Clinton. The name of late that intrigues me is Virginia's Warner. Of course, I've always been a fan of Biden but his name seems to be circulating for Secretary of Defense.

Obama… Just say no to Hillary Clinton. Gov. Mark Warner makes a wiser choice - excellent business and executive branch experience.

About Mark Warner

Mark Warner served as governor of Virginia from 2002 until January 2006. His administration inherited $6 billion in budget shortfalls, and ended with a surplus that allowed the largest single investment in K-12 education in Virginia history, a reinvestment in one of the nation’s premier public college and university systems, and a record investment in cleanup of the nation’s largest estuary: the Chesapeake Bay.

Governor Warner did this by cutting budgets and making business-like reforms to state government and public schools, and eventually taking on a modernization of Virginia’s entire tax code to promote fairness, long-term fiscal integrity, and the preservation of core services. He put a focus on economic development in areas hard hit by job losses – turning around jobless rates in those regions.

Along the way, he chaired the National Governors Association, leading a national high school reform effort to meet the challenges of a global economy. He was named among Governing Magazine’s “Public Officials of the Year” in 2004, TIME Magazine’s “America’s 5 Best Governors” in 2005, and Newsweek’s “Who’s Next” issue in 2006.

While he was governor, Virginia was named “the best managed state in the nation” by Governing Magazine, and the “runaway winner” in the new “Best State For Business” ranking done by Forbes, based on the tax structure, education system, and bipartisan fiscal management the Warner administration had put in place. Education Week Magazine named Virginia as the best place for a child to be born in terms of educational opportunity.

He’s a former high tech business person, who co-founded the company that became Nextel, as well as the largest technology-based venture capital fund in the mid-Atlantic. As a private citizen, he launched a health care foundation that’s helped over 500,000 uninsured and medically underserved Virginians obtain access to primary health care.

Governor Warner has been praised for his bi-partisan approach to politics. The Richmond Times-Dispatch said his specialty was “finding common ground” and “seizing chances from setbacks.” The Daily Press wrote in 2005 that Governor Warner’s “pragmatic, results-driven, business-oriented approach to government resonates across the spectrum of Virginia politics.”

He and his wife, Lisa Collis, and their three daughters, Madison, Gillian, and Eliza, reside in Alexandria.

link: http://www.markwarner2008.com/about

Collen Powell or does this make the ticket too dark?

Taking her would be disastrous. While Obama will need some soccer moms to vote for him, he doesn't need the baggage that is Hillary Rodham Clinton. She's said too many nasty things about him and would make for some great GOP ads that would use her words against her own running mate. It'd be beyond terrible.

Whomever it is, it doesn't need to be Sebelius. Seeing that McCain is in the race, it's safe to say that voters will be getting enough sleep during campaign speeches. She's John McCain without the temper and dressed in drag. Boring as the day is long.

I think I agree with just about everything you said.

I will, obviously, vote for Obama regardless of his VP. I really believe that, with a few exceptions, Obama will get most of Clinton's supporters. Sebelius would be viewed as a slap in the face to Clinton and I doubt many people have even heard of her.

Warner would be my first choice with Jim Webb in second. For an across-the-aisle pick, Chuck Hagel would be good.

I have a feeling it may be someone we've heard of, but, might not initially think of.

What about Bill Richardson?

I think that's the most likely pick, given that he's from the Southwest, experienced and respected on both sides of the aisle.

I think that's the most likely pick, given that he's from the Southwest, experienced and respected on both sides of the aisle.

I've always disliked Richardson. He is a jerk in person, and completely disrespectful to women.

I've always disliked Richardson. He is a jerk in person, and completely disrespectful to women.

As opposed to Obama who calls women reporters, "Sweetie"? Damn, I just made things partisan. Sorry. Only time I'll do it on this thread.

HRC would be a terrible choice for all of the "baggage" reasons listed above but it goes even further: she completely contradicts his message of changing Washington. She is the definition of the status quo and an inconic representative of the kind of gridlock that Obama states he wants to get past. Obama definitely will move towards the center (some have even suggested Hagel) with his VP pick and that is not her.

Also, keep in mind what Obama has accomplished over the past year - he has literally obliterated the Clinton dynasty with his brilliant campaign and is in the process of completely reshaping the Democratic party. And after all this, to bring her and Bill back into the fold via a spot on ticket? Not going to happen.

This has been talked about before but let's take a second and think about what Obama needs out of a VP (this is very similiar to what JFK needed when he picked LBJ):

- Some one who can attract blue-collar, working-class, white voters

- Some one who has extensive foreign policy experience

- Some one who is ready to be President

- Some one who has the stereotypical Presidential image (think white, Christian, patriotic, elder, male)

- Some one who can help him complete in the Appalachain region (PA, Ohio, WV, etc.)

I'm not sure I know who this candidate is but it's not Clinton. The name of late that intrigues me is Virginia's Warner. Of course, I've always been a fan of Biden but his name seems to be circulating for Secretary of Defense.

Wish they'd find that guy and run HIM for president.

Collen Powell or does this make the ticket too dark?

Not for me! Powell would be a great one! He's one of my favorites to ever wear the uniform. I wish he had turned Bush down and ran for office on 2004. Or now, for that matter. Powell is a personal hero of mine.

pensacola tiger

Amen to that! It would be even better if he/she were an Independent.

Archived