Search For Baseball Coach Heating Up

Sorry, just realized it's premium content. I got it in an email.

TCU coach and College of Charleston Coach mentioned as contenders.

What happened to Bobby Pierce? AU not interested or was he not interested? I think that he is one of the better coaches in Div. I. Wish we could have landed him!

What happened to Bobby Pierce? AU not interested or was he not interested? I think that he is one of the better coaches in Div. I. Wish we could have landed him!

Join the club. A few of us are wondering why Pierce is not being mentioned that much. He has made comments before that insinuated he would be interested in the job.

The other coaches that have been mentioned are good candidates also, especially Dunn. One of the candidates mentioned, Tom Walter, does not impress me that much, at least compared to other candidates being talked about. I keep wondering why we are looking at Baylor, TCU, etc, when we have proven, successful coaches with SEC experience close by and would take the job if offered.

Maybe I am just being pessimistic, or just plain skeptical, but why do I have a bad feeling the Jacobs and the PTBs are going to mess this up? Somebody please make me feel better about this.

I've heard that the Baylor, TCU, and CoC coaches are all great for one reason or another. All are proven winners and have done so with less resources and talent that could be had at AU. They said on the radio the TCU guy has broken 5 school records for wins in a season 5 years in a row. Obviously, if their program is historically bad, that stat isn't so great, but it still shows signs of progress from year to year.

I've heard the CoC guy said the deal would have to be very sweet to make him leave his current school. I don't look for him to be here, but it could happen.

I am starting to have concerns about this coaching search. It is pretty much known, and they have been basically quoted as such that Dunn and Pierce would come to Auburn if offered the job. Some said Lowe has hinted the same thing. Pierce and Lowe are proven coaches and Dunn, though he lacks the experience of the other two, has shown he can coach and he can surely beat other SEC teams. So, the question is, why are we looking elsewhere still? I understand we have to test the waters outside the state, but by doing that too much, are the PTBs at Auburn making those three feel like they are not their top choices? Did something happen in the interview process with them that may be keeping them from being offered or taking the job?

Archived