Bama fans should demand preventative discipline from Saban

Hoopie

SHOULD NICK SABAN BE FIRED???????? HECK YES HE SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AM I SAYING THAT B/C I AM SCARRED THAT HE WILL BEAT US???????? HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so you are saying it for your genuine concern of our football program and the university.....riiiiiiight.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, i'm sure CNS made it perfectly clear that dealing cocaine was acceptable. wow Chizad, you really set me straight. i guess you always did what your parents told you when you were young. you never ever EVER did anything they told you not to do, or they taught you that you shouldn't do. well, if you did then i guess they were complete failures as parents because they are supposed to be respected and feared enought that you knew not to screw up.

you can tell somebody plenty of times not to screw up. but they still choose to do it. Jimmy Johns is 21 years old. he knows dealing cocaine is wrong, and he knows it is not acceptable. i love how this is totally CNS' fault, its really interesting.....

Jimmy Johns' parents know him for 21 years.....they're not at fault

Mike Shula knew him/coached him for at least 3 years.....he's not at fault

Nick Saban coaches him for a year.....this is all his fault, and he's horrible for not stopping it

its none of those three above people's fault. Jimmy Johns knows what he did was wrong, and he always knew. the fact that TPD stated that he never wanted any of the coaches, team, or administration to know about it kind of shows that he knew what the consequences would be if caught.

You keep making this sound as if this one incident was the only slip up with the law your team has had in the last year. Ten arrests in a year, not counting the textbook 5, or however many arrests he had in the first six months he took the helm, which if I remember correctly was quite a few. To use your parent metaphor, if you have one kid get in trouble, maybe there was nothing you could do. But if you have 10+ kids who can't stay out of cuffs, then maybe you didn't lay appropriate ground rules down. Maybe when you didn't come down hard enough on the first kid who got arrested, didn't "ground him", you set a precedent that you don't care what they do. There will be no consequences for their actions. One thing leads to another. Next thing you know you have kids fighting cops, and headbutting their way through the back of a cop car. You do nothing. One of your kids gets charged with a felony for holding someone up at gunpoint for $11. You do nothing. Next thing you know, the boundaries get pushed until someone thinks they can get away with dealing coke without facing any consequences from their head coach.

Trust me, being close to student athletes, knowing whether or not you will be punished by your coach for your actions is a very real factor in your behavior. You all could see it until it works against your favor now that you have the most unruly team in the nation, Fulmer Cup champions. You sure knew it when you called Tuberville soft for "only" suspending Blackmon a half a season for minor in possession. The only offense in recent memory that an Auburn player committed, yet it's brought up constantly as an example of how Tuberville just has no control over his team.

Pathetic.

yes, you're exactly right. CNS has told the team that they are allowed to do whatever they want and there will be no consequences. wow, i'm glad you have such insight into our program. out of the 9 players arrested, two have been kicked off the team (Johns, Elder), three were not full-time starters (Deaderick, Upchurch, Fanney), two were walk-on freshmen who were arrested after the season (Darrah, Vane) and will likely never see the first down in a game, one had his charges dismissed (Johnson), and it is questionable as to why Castille was arrested, and many here said he shouldn't even be suspended for it. what should he have done, kicked every single one off of the team? not sure what the deal with DJ Hall was, but i will say i wasn't happy about how that was handled. and we will have to see how Prince Hall's suspension plays out.

i inaccurately stated that Blackmon had been arrested twice for the same thing. i was obviously wrong about that. the only other thing i brought up was about Groves' arrest for domestic violence and that it was swept under the rug, and there was no suspension or anything for that. i would rather our players not screw up, but if they do i wouldn't want it swept under the rug. i would like to know.

Ok. You're right. Saban is infallible. Clearly his discipline methods are unrivaled. Just keep doing what you're doing, Bama. Tradition.

How can you not WAKE UP and see that CNS is seriously SCREWING your program up? Do you really think that we say things like "CNS needs to be fired" because we are scarred of him? Are you freaking kidding me? WE OWN HIM! CTT had a winning record against him while at LSU and now at Auburn. Trust me you arrogant, ignorant, pompous bunch of retards............WE HOPE HE STAYS A BAMMER for a VERY LONG TIME.

We tried to tell them the Shula was screwing up their program as well and they all said the same thing. "You're just scared of him because he's bringing bammer back and recruiting lights out"......bammers live in a state of denial. That's their #1 problem....

yes, i'm sure CNS made it perfectly clear that dealing cocaine was acceptable. wow Chizad, you really set me straight. i guess you always did what your parents told you when you were young. you never ever EVER did anything they told you not to do, or they taught you that you shouldn't do. well, if you did then i guess they were complete failures as parents because they are supposed to be respected and feared enought that you knew not to screw up.

you can tell somebody plenty of times not to screw up. but they still choose to do it. Jimmy Johns is 21 years old. he knows dealing cocaine is wrong, and he knows it is not acceptable. i love how this is totally CNS' fault, its really interesting.....

Nick Saban coaches him for a year.....this is all his fault, and he's horrible for not stopping it

its none of those three above people's fault. Jimmy Johns knows what he did was wrong, and he always knew. the fact that TPD stated that he never wanted any of the coaches, team, or administration to know about it kind of shows that he knew what the consequences would be if caught.

You keep making this sound as if this one incident was the only slip up with the law your team has had in the last year. Ten arrests in a year, not counting the textbook 5, or however many arrests he had in the first six months he took the helm, which if I remember correctly was quite a few. To use your parent metaphor, if you have one kid get in trouble, maybe there was nothing you could do. But if you have 10+ kids who can't stay out of cuffs, then maybe you didn't lay appropriate ground rules down. Maybe when you didn't come down hard enough on the first kid who got arrested, didn't "ground him", you set a precedent that you don't care what they do. There will be no consequences for their actions. One thing leads to another. Next thing you know you have kids fighting cops, and headbutting their way through the back of a cop car. You do nothing. One of your kids gets charged with a felony for holding someone up at gunpoint for $11. You do nothing. Next thing you know, the boundaries get pushed until someone thinks they can get away with dealing coke without facing any consequences from their head coach.

Trust me, being close to student athletes, knowing whether or not you will be punished by your coach for your actions is a very real factor in your behavior. You all could see it until it works against your favor now that you have the most unruly team in the nation, Fulmer Cup champions. You sure knew it when you called Tuberville soft for "only" suspending Blackmon a half a season for minor in possession. The only offense in recent memory that an Auburn player committed, yet it's brought up constantly as an example of how Tuberville just has no control over his team.

Pathetic.

yes, you're exactly right. CNS has told the team that they are allowed to do whatever they want and there will be no consequences. wow, i'm glad you have such insight into our program. out of the 9 players arrested, two have been kicked off the team (Johns, Elder), three were not full-time starters (Deaderick, Upchurch, Fanney), two were walk-on freshmen who were arrested after the season (Darrah, Vane) and will likely never see the first down in a game, one had his charges dismissed (Johnson), and it is questionable as to why Castille was arrested, and many here said he shouldn't even be suspended for it. what should he have done, kicked every single one off of the team? not sure what the deal with DJ Hall was, but i will say i wasn't happy about how that was handled. and we will have to see how Prince Hall's suspension plays out.

i inaccurately stated that Blackmon had been arrested twice for the same thing. i was obviously wrong about that. the only other thing i brought up was about Groves' arrest for domestic violence and that it was swept under the rug, and there was no suspension or anything for that. i would rather our players not screw up, but if they do i wouldn't want it swept under the rug. i would like to know.

Ok. You're right. Saban is infallible. Clearly his discipline methods are unrivaled. Just keep doing what you're doing, Bama. Tradition.

well since you know everything, what should he have done? i'm not saying CNS is the most strict disciplinarian ever, but what do you think should have been done in all 9 of those situations?

How can you not WAKE UP and see that CNS is seriously SCREWING your program up? Do you really think that we say things like "CNS needs to be fired" because we are scarred of him? Are you freaking kidding me? WE OWN HIM! CTT had a winning record against him while at LSU and now at Auburn. Trust me you arrogant, ignorant, pompous bunch of retards............WE HOPE HE STAYS A BAMMER for a VERY LONG TIME.

We tried to tell them the Shula was screwing up their program as well and they all said the same thing. "You're just scared of him because he's bringing bammer back and recruiting lights out"......bammers live in a state of denial. That's their #1 problem....

yet many here and on other boards rushed to CMS' defense when he was fired. "oh, it was just horrible how the university treated him, and they should have never done him that way", etc etc. "he coached for them when nobody else wanted to, and this is how they repay him." you guys pick on him for 4 years for being a horrible coach yet when we fire him, you are the first to his defense.

AM I SAYING THAT B/C I AM SCARRED THAT HE WILL BEAT US???????? HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so you are saying it for your genuine concern of our football program and the university.....riiiiiiight.

No retard.....I have ZERO concern with with SPUAT. Like I said, I hope he STAYS! But, if it were my school, I would call for his head. It's absolutely RIDICULOUS that Saban is being heralded as a hero for quickly dismissing Johns. Sorry lil' Nicky, but if the University suspends him then I guess that AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES him from playing. Nick Saban had to know something was going on, and he should be fired for having NO CONTROL of his players. Like I said though, I really really really hope he stays for a LONG TIME!

yet many here and on other boards rushed to CMS' defense when he was fired. "oh, it was just horrible how the university treated him, and they should have never done him that way", etc etc. "he coached for them when nobody else wanted to, and this is how they repay him." you guys pick on him for 4 years for being a horrible coach yet when we fire him, you are the first to his defense.

That has nothing to do with the previous post. Everyone knew he was a crappy coach but bama fans are so far up their own butt that they thought he would bring them back to relevancy. Now that he's gone and Saban has been hired, the former golden boy has become the whipping boy of your fanbase.

When people ask me what I do I say I'm a teacher. They ask what do you teach, and I say "people."

When you are a coach, you are a teacher. And when you are a teacher, you don't teach a sport or subject, you teach "the person"...not the person's skills, or the person's brain, or the person's body, or the person's ability, or the person's knowledge, or the person's beliefs.

You teach "the person." IOW, the best teachers (and coaches) care deeply about their students (players) as people and want them to succeed in everything and not just in the subject or sport they teach.

Contrary to popular belief, as a teacher I know that "cracking down" is your natural response to something like this, but it does not work with the dynamics of a group. All it does is make it miserable for the good kids and then they start to hate you while the bad kids already dont care. So you have made it worse because now you have lost the good kids too.

Cracking down works in the home because you can be very intense with discipline for a short time and that works in the home where there are 1-2 kids. But it does not work with a group anymore because it becomes a competition between kids and teacher and the kids win because you can't maintain your level of intensity for longer than they can fight you and you keep your sanity and do your job.

Just a little perspective. Maybe the problem is that Saban is not the right man for the job because he cares about winning more than he cares about Alabama.

That has nothing to do with the previous post. Everyone knew he was a crappy coach but bama fans are so far up their own butt that they thought he would bring them back to relevancy. Now that he's gone and Saban has been hired, the former golden boy has become the whipping boy of your fanbase.

i think every fanbase shares the same optimism that an administration does when they hire a coach, that the coach will do great things with the team. that doesn't always work out. i don't think a university ever hires a coach saying "wow, this guy will make us suck hard!!". he was never a head coach, so i don't think it would have been fair to say "he's a crappy coach" before he was hired. but it was apparent that he was. excellent QB coach, crappy head coach.

i think every fanbase shares the same optimism that an administration does when they hire a coach, that the coach will do great things with the team. that doesn't always work out. i don't think a university ever hires a coach saying "wow, this guy will make us suck hard!!". he was never a head coach, so i don't think it would have been fair to say "he's a crappy coach" before he was hired. but it was apparent that he was. excellent QB coach, crappy head coach.

I didn't mean we knew before he was hired. Just after he continuously ran the ball up the middle three times in a row every time he was inside the ten yard line.

It was already said best:

Wait, you guys tell us EVERYTIME we have a coach here...the whole time he's here...that he sucks at life and can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

But now, all of the sudden, they are all GREAT coaches who are just ruined by mean ol' bama?

Give me a freaking BREAK.

I think the difference is we see your coach as a 6.5 out of 10 from the beginning and you guys see him as a 10 in the beginning and a 1 at the end.

We may not be super impressed by a guy but when you swing crazily from 10 to 1 and we remain at the same 6.5 it looks to you like we are flip flopping when in fact its your nutty fanbase trying to cope with not winning a national championship or heck, 8 games is the one flip flopping.

I think CTT is about an 8.5. He loses points for being stubborn and playing an offense that struggles to win from behind more than one score. When he leaves I will still think he was an 8.5. Saban IMO is a 7. Loses points for bad attitude to staff and poor game time calls. When he leaves I will still think he is a 7 unless he actually fixes the Alabama organization and then MAYBE he will step up a notch or two.

Pathetic.

Johns and Elder were suspended from school. Your university seems to have to take the lead before a player gets suspension or dismissal from the football team.

Deaderick, Upchurch and Fanney weren't disciplined because they didn't start?

Johnson had a plea deal. Should that mean no discipline?

And if the DJ Hall scenario is any indication, Prince Hall will certainly return...and on his own terms according to media reports. (radio)

Dude maybe its not easy when your idols disappoint you or something, i don't know. But your coach is way weak on discipline. No matter how many times you guys collectively say he isn't, he is. He is what he is aight?

Regarding Shula:

I'm certainly not among those that say Bama should have kept Shula and don't criticise them for seeking a better coach. I thought he was only average at best when they hired him and pretty much felt the same during his entire tenure. I wouldn't have wanted him as my coach from Day 1, and I think it was a smart move to replace him. (Honestly, I sort of hoped they woud keep him for many more years ;) ).

However, I will admit to LMAO and razzing SPUAT fans for 1) firing him less than a year after giving him a big raise and an extension, 2) firing him only a year after a 10-win season and "Bama is Back" on the cover of SI, and 3) the hypocricy of praising Shula for so long as the "goldenboy" favorite son who's bringing Bama back to glory, then turning on him so viciously and blaming him for everything that's gone wrong since he was hired.

...it's amazing how some people can keep their nose so high in the air, their head up their ass, and their foot in their mouth as the same time.

I don't think CNS should be fired. However, you have to question the level of discipline if Johns was selling coke in the parking lot of the athletic facility. Obviously CNS has captured the respect of his team.

No retard.....I have ZERO concern with with SPUAT. Like I said, I hope he STAYS! But, if it were my school, I would call for his head. It's absolutely RIDICULOUS that Saban is being heralded as a hero for quickly dismissing Johns. Sorry lil' Nicky, but if the University suspends him then I guess that AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIES him from playing. Nick Saban had to know something was going on, and he should be fired for having NO CONTROL of his players. Like I said though, I really really really hope he stays for a LONG TIME!

I'm not sure if I remember or not, but did Auburn fans want Coach Pat Dye fired when one of your players (Baker)was arrested for selling drugs?

I didn't mean we knew before he was hired. Just after he continuously ran the ball up the middle three times in a row every time he was inside the ten yard line he had the ball on offense.

fixed that for you

I'm not sure if I remember or not, but did Auburn fans want Coach Pat Dye fired when one of your players (Baker)was arrested for selling drugs?

Gets your facts right before you come on here making accusations. The Baker incident happened in 98 and that was Tot's last year.

Well Bamamyheart......Coach Pat Dye had been gone for YEARS when that happened. Terry Bowden (a.k.a. Buster Brown) was at the helm when that happened and the VERY same year he was GONE!

Thanks for bringing that up, b/c it sets the perfect example for my argument. Yes, some people wanted him GONE. Also, it proves that when you let your program "run amuck" and don't have discipline within the group of young men that you are TEACHING, COACHING AND BASICALLY BEING A DAD TO then you will FAIL MISSERABLY!

Like I said b/f, I hope and pray that CNS stays at Bammer for a LONG LONG TIME, b/c as long as he is there then yall are a FREAKING JOKE and will flant and flail and rave and piss and moan about how it's EVERYBODY else's fault that in fact:

BAMA IS NOT BACK!

AUBURNJAC - have you seen Melick's article today? In a interview with tot he pretty much says there is nothing Sabahr could have done. So basically Sabahr = Tot when it comes to discipline. B)

Link

Bowden says Saban might have had no choice but to back Johns

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nick Saban has Jimmy Johns.

Terry Bowden had Robert Baker.

Bowden, who still is hurt by the 1998 arrest of Baker on one count of trafficking cocaine and two counts of distribution, says Saban may not have had much choice but to support Johns prior to the revelation of Johns' arrest on charges of selling cocaine.

Bowden says so from experience.

"I was very close to Robert," said Bowden, the former Auburn coach who helped Baker get an early release from prison and into the NFL. "But that caught me way off guard, because he looked me in the eye and said, `I swear I'd never do that.'

"... You have to stick with him because he's one of your players. If you don't have anything that tells you the stories you're hearing are true, you're worse off as a coach not to back your player, because if you don't, you risk losing your whole team."

There are some fans, of course, who would say that because of Bowden's recruitment of certain players such as Baker, Tommy Tuberville inherited a mess when he was hired to replace Bowden after the 1998 season.

"Of course, you say that," Bowden said. "You always come in and blame the previous coach. Any time you come into a new situation, you stress discipline. Then when you go, the next guy blames you.

"But as my dad (Bobby) always says, if strict discipline won ballgames, Army and Navy would be playing for the national championship every year."

Then again, jobs like Alabama rarely come open unless it's a tough situation. And former coach Mike Shula may have felt he had to take some chances on some players because he was recruiting under severe NCAA sanctions.

The question becomes, why didn't Saban clean house?

"Sometimes you come into a program like an Alabama, and you don't need to go backwards," said Bowden, who took over an Auburn program that was under severe NCAA penalties. "You've got to be careful when the team you're taking over has won six or seven games and that's considered unacceptable. ... Sometimes you try to make everyone feel they are part of the program, to hold things together.

"But it might also keep you from turning the program around as quickly as you'd like. I think Nick is transparent; he wants to win. If a guy is a menace to the team, he'll get rid of him. But if he thinks a kid can be saved or is an asset to the team, he'll keep him around."

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

But really, no coach can be sure because not only does he take on 25 players every year, he takes on 25 new histories that a coach knows very little about.

"Players haven't changed," Bowden said. "Parents have. You know, I had guys who only flunked drug tests in the summer, because they'd go home and their parents smoked (dope). You don't think that doesn't drive a coach crazy?"

In the end, whether Saban handled discipline issues correctly will be judged the way every coach is judged: by wins and losses.

"If you win, you'll be perceived as having done things the right way," Bowden said. "If you lose, then it was wrong. It's as simple as that."

Ray Melick's column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com.

© 2008 The Birmingham News

© 2008 al.com All Rights Reserved.

If Pat Dye, Terry Bowden or Shug Jordan was the coach and had produced 10 arrests for every 7 wins, with a dope dealer or two in there, you bet your boots Auburn fans would have wanted him gone.

You see, when you observe something, that is called an incident. When you observe that happens repeatedly, that is called a "pattern." You don't fire coaches for incidents, you fire them for patterns, unless you are OK with the pattern...as in this case where Alabama fans will gladly overlook a complete lack of discipline in exchange for a win over Auburn.

Umm, that would be Terry Bowden and yes, I wanted him fired. But for other reasons.

I totally agree with Quiet on Shula. Incredibly average coach and Bama fired him way too soon in my opinion. I think he should have been given a raise and a 5 year extension. But, that's water under the bridge.

Boy, I'm gonna' lose all cred with this one, but I tuned in Fineschlong to hear the circus a couple of days ago and ole' Paul actually hit one out of the park. I know he was just trying to get a rise out of folks but in doing so said "Alabama hired Nick Saban to do one thing, win. Bama fans don't care how he gets there or how the image of the program suffers along the way. Just win."

Link

"But as my dad (Bobby) always says, if strict discipline won ballgames, Army and Navy would be playing for the national championship every year."

Boy, I'm gonna' lose all cred with this one, but I tuned in Fineschlong to hear the circus a couple of days ago and ole' Paul actually hit one out of the park. I know he was just trying to get a rise out of folks but in doing so said "Alabama hired Nick Saban to do one thing, win. Bama fans don't care how he gets there or how the image of the program suffers along the way. Just win."

Hmmm...interesting the different ways of saying the same thing.

And both Diddy & Tator Tot are such authorities when it comes to discipline... :rolleyes:

Link

Hmmm...interesting the different ways of saying the same thing.

And both Diddy & Tator Tot are such authorities when it comes to discipline... :rolleyes:

:noevil:

I just can not believe the out pouring of side stepping and self deception the bama fans are going through on this issue. 10 arrests and all of them are perfectly acceptable for any number of reasons.

Archived