Under Bush, Bin Laden gets his wish

RunInRed

What should have been done in the past 8 years, which was not is pretty straight forward:

1) Pass legislation that mandates higher fuel economy standards

2) Set building efficiency goals

3) Require renewable energy levels

4) Invest in clean energy technology and energy R&D (biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerating the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promoting development of commercial-scale renewable energy, investing in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid). This investment could further be assisted by developing clean technology venture capital funds supported by the Governement

5) Devote resources to develop clean coal technology

6) Establish a national low carbon fuel standard

7) Establish grant programs and offer tax credits for early adopters of new technologies

That's a start and what should have been going on over the alst 20 years. But again, it takes leadership.

You forgot drilling in ANWR and off the coast. :poke: ...something I think brought up by Reagan, but of course rejected. Don't we all think establishing our own self sufficiency, or a majority of it, back then would be helping quite a bit right now. Every administration has failed to see out ahead of this vast global demand and the economic fall we are in. Heck, you know things are bad when Starbucks is closing 600 locations!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be precise, Starbucks is closing 600 locations because they over built not because things are so bad.

But yes I did catch your sarcasm.

What should have been done in the past 8 years, which was not is pretty straight forward:

4) Invest in clean energy technology and energy R&D (biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerating the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promoting development of commercial-scale renewable energy, investing in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid). This investment could further be assisted by developing clean technology venture capital funds supported by the Governement

7) Establish grant programs and offer tax credits for early adopters of new technologies

That's a start and what should have been going on over the alst 20 years. But again, it takes leadership.

These are good ideas if they are executed correctly, why don't we do these AND what I suggested.

Red....... If you REALLY believe Bush is the sole reason for what ails this nation in regards to oil, then please......

if you have a degree from Auburn, give it back! You are looking more and more like a sidewinder each and every day.

It doesn't matter who was president...

NONE of them could have curbed demand from emerging markets. None of them could have kept speculators AND america from realizing that we were paying WAY WAY too little for gas for a loooong time.

NONE of them could have curbed demand from emerging markets. None of them could have kept speculators AND america from realizing that we were paying WAY WAY too little for gas for a loooong time.

So if we had an alternate form of energy and didn't have to rely as much on fossil fuels, how would this not curb demand?

So if we had an alternate form of energy and didn't have to rely as much on fossil fuels, how would this not curb demand?

When is that alternate form of energy going to be available?

Uhhh, that's why all the car companies are trying to build electric cars etc. But again, I KNOW you want to blame the president for everything...this has NOTHING to do with the president. You just can't get past that can you.

Why isn't Clinton culpable? Why isn't congress culpable? Why is it JUST this president?

I'll tell you why...at the end of the day, you don't care about policy, you don't worry about educating yourself on why the commodities markets work...you just want to blindly hate.

Ignorance is bliss.

.you just want to blindly hate.

Ignorance is bliss.

BG describes himself...

I don't blindly hate anyone. I'm not on here trashing congress, or trashing Bill Clinton. It's not a presidential issue. We've had SUPER FREAKIN CHEAP gas/oil until very very recently.

To blame past administrations is a freaking laugh.

Guest BoStillKnows

To be precise, Starbucks is closing 600 locations because they over built not because things are so bad.

But yes I did catch your sarcasm.

Starbucks knew they would close a lot of stores at some point in time. Their strategy was to open stores, even though they knew they would lose money, in order to run their competition out of business. Afterwards, they would start closing the losers. I do not agree with their business model nor their liberal attitude.

I find it a little ironic that they push their liberal attitude while taking full advantage of the free-enterprise, capitalistic, corporate opportunities the freedom of this country offers.

If Congress had made the right decision in 2002, oil would be $89 a barrel. More people could afford a $5 cup of coffee. In 2002 all of those soccer moms driving SUV's and mini-vans wanted to protect the barren wasteland in north ANWAR; but, now they are saying drill, drill, drill - just so they can get the cup of Joe from Starbucks. ;)

Guest BoStillKnows

And, does it make any sense for China to be drilling for oil in the Gulf Coast while we think we are protecting the environment. Isn't that another decision made by Congress.

This country has too many professional politicians and not enough public servants with the intelligence and concern to make the right decision for the American public and the country.

I have a lot more confidence in McCain than I do in Obama. Obama will do (say) anything to win. People criticize schools and coaches for doing it, but evidently it is okay for a politician.

Uhhh, that's why all the car companies are trying to build electric cars etc. But again, I KNOW you want to blame the president for everything...this has NOTHING to do with the president. You just can't get past that can you.

Why isn't Clinton culpable? Why isn't congress culpable? Why is it JUST this president?

I'll tell you why...at the end of the day, you don't care about policy, you don't worry about educating yourself on why the commodities markets work...you just want to blindly hate.

Ignorance is bliss.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. I've trashed Clinton, Congress, and Bush. As for why it's one man's fault...well, he's in charge and the buck stops with him. That's what happens when you are President - if you don't want the responsibility or blame, then don't run for the office.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. I've trashed Clinton, Congress, and Bush. As for why it's one man's fault...well, he's in charge and the buck stops with him. That's what happens when you are President - if you don't want the responsibility or blame, then don't run for the office.

Well, if they don't have oil down to $50 a barrel by the time Obama takes office, I'm blaming him.

Afterall, the buck stops with him.

I mean who else would you blame for a GLOBAL commodity in a GLOBAL market?

Well, if they don't have oil down to $50 a barrel by the time Obama takes office, I'm blaming him.

They will still be blaming Bush. <_<

First of all, your list:

3. Goes a lot against free market which has proven time and time again to be a stabalizing force

5. Already done but unfortunately anything with the word coal on it gets struck down whether it is clean or not. See southern company and Florida.

6. Maybe if we had lower taxes on the oil companies then prices could come down, they could be better equipment and produce more on R&D but unfortunately they are being taxed out the ass and so they can't. If your company was taxed at their rate I bet you would do the same.

As far as what Titan was saying is that your title is increadibly misleading. Bush is president yes, but that is not why Bin Laden got his wish. By you same logic, with the assumtion that God is in control why not say,

WITH GOD, BIN LADEN GETS HIS WISH. Not Gods fault, but hey it was under his watch right?

This thread gets my vote for most ignorant titled thread of the year.

Again, RIR makes a post bashing Bush with the same old crap he always posts:

1) Fails to know the subject matter well enough to back it with any facts

2) Can't give a rebuttal when somebody dismisses his argument with facts, and then calls them a smartass or some other name for doing so

3) Fails to take the time to properly read what others posted when replying to their posts

4) Claims to have said things in his previous posts that he really never said

If I was our long time resident board liberals, such as Tex and Al, I would tell RIR to please shut up. I am a conservative and I could do a better job trying to advance the liberal philosophy then RIR can. If he was a conservative and talking out of his rear end that way, I know I would be asking him to go find a cave somewhere and to not come out until after the elections are over.

Give Obama 8 years and if he's done as little as Bush...blame away.

This thread gets my vote for most ignorant titled thread of the year.

Again, RIR makes a post bashing Bush with the same old crap he always posts:

1) Fails to know the subject matter well enough to back it with any facts

2) Can't give a rebuttal when somebody dismisses his argument with facts, and then calls them a smartass or some other name for doing so

3) Fails to take the time to properly read what others posted when replying to their posts

4) Claims to have said things in his previous posts that he really never said

If I was our long time resident board liberals, such as Tex and Al, I would tell RIR to please shut up. I am a conservative and I could do a better job trying to advance the liberal philosophy then RIR can. If he was a conservative and talking out of his rear end that way, I know I would be asking him to go find a cave somewhere and to not come out until after the elections are over.

Like Titan, you completely took the subject of the post out of context in an attempt to some how try to defend a failed administration you voted for twice and have spent 8 years trying to prop up by excusing every single one of their flounders.

Excusers like BG who sit and talk about "global markets" and supply and demand are nothing but appeasers for a failed party and ideology that clearly is not working. SO YOU CAN SPIN THIS TRAIN WRECK ALL YOU WANT BUT THE FACT IS BUSH HAD 8 YEARS TO ADDRESS AN ENERGY CRISIS THAT EVERY ONE SAW COMING AND DID NOTHING! GOT IT?!

Excusers like BG who sit and talk about "global markets" and supply and demand are nothing but appeasers for for a failed party and ideology that clearly is not working. SO YOU CAN SPIN THIS TRAIN WRECK ALL YOU WANT BUT THE FACT IS BUSH HAD 8 YEARS TO ADDRESS AN ENERGY CRISIS THAT EVERY ONE SAW COMING AND DID NOTHING! GOT IT?!

If that's the case, then America should be the only country being pinched right now...right?

Three things have happened since the oil price started increasing rapidly:emerging market oil consumption has increased exponentially, market speculation has increased exponentially...especially in areas where those buying up futures never inventory the product, and the dollar has weakened due to drastic fed rate cuts to counter balance the credit/housing crunch.

These things are discussed EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY on basically every financial media outlet. NONE of them are blaming the president.

You're the only one who seems to be doing so.

Why is it every time people respond with REAL WORLD reasons why oil is going up, you just bark back with hyperbole and conjecture? Why do NO leading analyists side with you and your paltry reasoning?

BG whats mindblowing is these same people have a vote.on second thought

if they are Dims maybe more than one vote. LOL

A lot of countries are being pinched...but there are a few who aren't. They are basically energy independent. Isn't America supposed to lead the world and be the brightest beacon....no leading has been happening the past 8 years. So call me a Bush hater. I call myself a realist.

A lot of countries are being pinched...but there are a few who aren't. They are basically energy independent. Isn't America supposed to lead the world and be the brightest beacon....no leading has been happening the past 8 years. So call me a Bush hater. I call myself a realist.

Again, more hyperbole. More conjecture. You haven't supplied us with any facts in Bush's policy that are causes of the current problem. You haven't because there ARENT ANY.

"A few who aren't"...that suggest a GLOBAL FREAKING PROBLEM. We are a commuter nation. We are a manufacturing nation. We use fossil fuels. We export products. We have long commutes because we live in a HUGE country.

Are you saying it's Bush's fault that we don't have mass transit infastructure that goes out to the countryside?

What countries aren't being pinched? I'd like to know which ones those are.

Everytime you respond, you show more and more you don't care about actual cause/effect...you just care about ripping the president.

I'll ask for the 415th time, why are we supposed to implement energy policies when energy is cheap? If gas is $2 a gallon, or oil is $40 a barrel, don't you think more pressing matters are at hand? And are you going to slam Obama just as hard if gas is still $4 a gallon while he's president?

And why do you keep blaming an administration that has allocated more $ for alternative fuel research than any other in history?

That's funny RIR, you are accusing others of taking things out of context. I guess giving a thread the title of "Under Bush, Bin Laden gets his wish" is straightforward and accurate title huh? I guess that title was not meant to be misleading in relation to the subject matter huh? I guess we need to take you at your word since you have not provided us with one fact to back up your opinion.

Wait, what happened to giving both sides of an argument. I guess your post, and especially the topic header you gave it, was not really one sided was it? <_<

Archived