1,215 troops re-enlist in Baghdad on Independence Day

Tigermike

Troops Re-enlist on Independence Day

Friday, 04 July 2008

080704_sod_med.jpg

1,215 Servicemembers from all over Iraq gather in the Al Faw Palace rotunda on Camp Victory, to re-enlist and celebrate America’s Independence Day, July 4, 2008. Photo by MNF-I Public Affairs.BAGHDAD —

Servicemembers from all over Iraq gathered here today in the Al Faw Palace rotunda on Camp Victory, to re-enlist and celebrate America’s Independence Day.

All 1,215 servicemembers celebrated by raising their right hand and pledging to continue defending the ‘land of the free’ in what is the largest re-enlistment ceremony since the all-volunteer force began in 1973, according to the Multi-National Force – Iraq Command Sergeant Major, Command Sgt, Maj. Marvin L. Hill.

“Volunteering to continue to serve our nation, while deployed – is both noble and inspiring,” said Gen. David Petraeus, commanding general, Multi-National Force – Iraq. “It is, as award citations often state, in keeping with the finest traditions of our military services.”

Petraeus presided over the ceremony and led the airmen, Marines, Sailors, and Soldiers in their oath to defend their country against all enemies both foreign and domestic on this day of celebration of America winning its independence.

"We recognize the sacrifices they make and the sacrifices their families and communities make as they serve in Iraq," Hill said. “These servicemembers know the cost of war and they are still re-enlisting.”

All together, the servicemembers pledged more than 5,500 years of additional service to their country.

“It makes me feel proud to serve this great nation,” said Spc. Zackary Cunningham, mechanic, 602nd Maintenance Battalion, Tactical Base Balad, who plans on making the Army a career.

The re-enlistees have every right to feel proud, according to Petraeus.

“You and your comrades here have been described as America’s new greatest generation, and, in my view, you have more than earned that description,” Petraeus said. “It is the greatest of honors to soldier here with you.”

(MNF-I Press Release)

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=c...54&Itemid=1

VIDEO at

That's good. I believe we significantly increased their re-enlistment bonus to get that result.

No one can be that cynical and be an Auburn fan. Face it, LE, this is what they wanted to do, and no amount of "re-enlistment bonus " could sway them to do this if it wasn't what they really wanted.

That's good. I believe we significantly increased their re-enlistment bonus to get that result.

No one can be that cynical and be an Auburn fan. Face it, LE, this is what they wanted to do, and no amount of "re-enlistment bonus " could sway them to do this if it wasn't what they really wanted.

DUH, then why did we increase the re-enlistment incentives? DUH! It's not just an adventure, it's a regular pay day too.

Why am I not an AU fan? Why am I cynical? I'm all for increasing benefits to keep our armed forces fully staffed. Hell, if you just want the ones who do it for fun, cut their benes!!

There's not enough "DUHs" in the world to adequately respond.

Here's what the gov'ment says the bonuses are for:

According to DoD Instruction 1304.29, "Administration of Enlistment Bonuses,

Accession Bonuses for New Officers in Critical Skills, Selective Reenlistment Bonuses,

and Critical Skills Retention Bonuses for Active Member," December 15, 2004, bonuses

are intended to influence personnel inventories in specific situations when less costly

methods have proven inadequate or impractical. This instruction defines the Selective

Reenlistment Bonus (SRB) as the principal monetary incentive employed for maintaining

adequate numbers of enlisted personnel with critical skills needed to sustain the career

force.

http://www.dodig.osd.mil/Audit/reports/FY07/07-077.txt

They're not all doing it for money though. The Army was experience a shortage of O-3s (Captains) this year so for certain year groups they offered re-enlistment bonuses.

One was choice of duty station, another was $35,000. I work with one of the O-3s this incentive was offered to and he took the choice of duty instead of of the 35k. So it isn't about money for all of them. I don't know if I could turn down that kind of cash, but he's going into a sweet program with his choice of duty, so I can understand.

DUH, then why did we increase the re-enlistment incentives? DUH! It's not just an adventure, it's a regular pay day too.

Why am I not an AU fan? Why am I cynical? I'm all for increasing benefits to keep our armed forces fully staffed. Hell, if you just want the ones who do it for fun, cut their benes!!

There's not enough "DUHs" in the world to adequately respond.

If it was so bad, no amount of $$ in the world would get them to resign. DUH ! Granted, they are doing one hell of a job, and compensation is only expected, but to say they're only in it for the $$ is ridiculous. DUH !!

If it was so bad, no amount of $$ in the world would get them to resign. DUH ! Granted, they are doing one hell of a job, and compensation is only expected, but to say they're only in it for the $$ is ridiculous. DUH !!

It's kinda nice NO ONE said any such thing isn't it??? :poke:

Archived