This is your coach uat

WAR-MATT

so, i guess CNS should have defended Jimmy Johns and justified him dealing cocaine? then you guys would have railed him for that too.

no, but he doesn't have to act like it's the media's fault either.

i don't see anywhere in that article where he blames the media for what Jimmy Johns did. so, he left for a period of time because the media kept badgering him about Johns. how many ways can he rephrase and rehash "he was arrested and kicked off the team"? its like when everybody was so concerned when he oversigned the 08 class and even people here were calling him an idiot and used it as yet another excuse as to why he was a horrible coach, and he told everybody not to worry the numbers would work out. the media kept badgering him and hounding him about it. how many different ways can he tell them "the numbers will work out". and guess what? the numbers worked out. really, with something like what happened where everybody pretty much knows all you can say is "he was arrested, we kicked him off the team, he probably wasn't going to play anyways this season", are you going to stand up there and get asked the same repetitive questions for 20 minutes?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, i guess CNS should have defended Jimmy Johns and justified him dealing cocaine? then you guys would have railed him for that too.

i don't see anywhere in that article where he blames the media for what Jimmy Johns did. so, he left for a period of time because the media kept badgering him about Johns. how many ways can he rephrase and rehash "he was arrested and kicked off the team"? its like when everybody was so concerned when he oversigned the 08 class and even people here were calling him an idiot and used it as yet another excuse as to why he was a horrible coach, and he told everybody not to worry the numbers would work out. the media kept badgering him and hounding him about it. how many different ways can he tell them "the numbers will work out". and guess what? the numbers worked out. really, with something like what happened where everybody pretty much knows all you can say is "he was arrested, we kicked him off the team, he probably wasn't going to play anyways this season", are you going to stand up there and get asked the same repetitive questions for 20 minutes?

How many different ways can he say "I'm not going to be the next coach at the University of Alabama"

It seems reasonable to me, and I know this may be far fetched, that a guy who makes $4mil a year could have enough patience to answer reporters questions without pitching a tantrum like a 4 year old girl and running away to hide behind mommy's skirt.

IF Coach Tuberville had conducted himself in that manner, he would have been ROASTED by the media in this state. YOU know it...And so do the rest of us.

Your serve?

:bamaspin:

Isn't this the first time he's spoke about it with the media? He's making you guys look foolish trying to cover up his short falls. No pun intended. B)

Isn't this the first time he's spoke about it with the media? He's making you guys look foolish trying to cover up his short falls. No pun intended. B)

so, what exactly should we have expected him to say since "he is no longer with the team" obviously is not good enough?

It seems reasonable to me, and I know this may be far fetched, that a guy who makes $4mil a year could have enough patience to answer reporters questions without pitching a tantrum like a 4 year old girl and running away to hide behind mommy's skirt.

IF Coach Tuberville had conducted himself in that manner, he would have been ROASTED by the media in this state. YOU know it...And so do the rest of us.

Your serve?

i don't think the problem was they were asking questions, i think the problem is asking the same repetitive question except re-worded over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Maybe if Satan would just answer the question instead acting like a

fly on a HorseRWS the Press would not repeat the questions. :poke:

Maybe if Satan would just answer the question instead acting like a

fly on a HorseRWS the Press would not repeat the questions. :poke:

Bingo! We have a winner! Game-Set-Match ! ! ! :au::cheer:

so, what exactly should we have expected him to say since "he is no longer with the team" obviously is not good enough?

The problem is that he is involved with this situation, which is partially his doing, and he doesn't have the gonads to stand there and face the music. For good or bad, he is the leader of this team, and he has to be willing to face whatever happens. Saban has always been a total jerk to the media, so these reporters were probably waiting to get their pound of flesh out of him. Still, a real man (especially one making 4million/year) could have stood up and taken his medicine.

Your serve?

i don't think the problem was they were asking questions, i think the problem is asking the same repetitive question except re-worded over and over and over and over and over and over again.

That's what journalists do. You don't think every coach in this league (or any major conference) has had to deal with the same thing?

Of course he knew that "the numbers would work themselves out".......s***, he had had many many arrests prior to that statement! He had all the CONFIDENCE in the world that a few more would bite the dust to the MEN IN BLUE! My God your school/coach/players/fans are the biggest bunch of tards in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE. I just hope that if aliens land on earth that they "drop by" T-town first, because they will see the mullets, sleevless shirts and rotten teeth followed by arrogance (which will confuse the **** out of them) and they will HAUL ASS to get away!

Your serve?

I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but what in the hell does he think he's getting $4 million for? The answering of stupid questions is part of it.

Your serve?

I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but what in the hell does he think he's getting $4 million for? The answering of stupid questions is part of it.

But how many times can you answer it? What more is there to say? Johns was arrested, he is no longer a football player or student at the University of Alabama. He has not been tried, so Saban can not report on that. He said that he is trying to set in place programs to stop things like this. Did they want Saban to say what a shame it was, and how he hated it for the young man? Do they want him to say, "I knew about it and did nothing, or I knew nothing about it", like that was going to happen.

Why ask questions that people already have the answers. Saban came to this wanting to give updates on the program before the season started, and all reporters wanted to ask about was Jimmie Johns.

The media is not paying Coach Saban $4 million to answer stupid questions, and the University is not paying him that amount of money to answer stupid questions from the media. If the University officals ask him stupid questions, then that is a different ballgame, and he'd better take the time to answer.

But how many times can you answer it?

Once would be nice. I think he made one statement to the effect of " he was arrested, suspended from school so I had to kick him off the team." And, "he wasn't gonna play that much so what's the big deal?"

The media wanted to know how it was effecting the team. Is that not a reasonable question? After all, it is a public university.

But how many times can you answer it?

Once would be nice. I think he made one statement to the effect of " he was arrested, suspended from school so I had to kick him off the team." And, "he wasn't gonna play that much so what's the big deal?"

The media wanted to know how it was effecting the team. Is that not a reasonable question? After all, it is a public university.

My honest opinion is that he doesn't know how it is effecting the team. If he said that the team is very upset, and not taking it very well, then you guys would say "he's making excuses". How will he know how this is effecting the team? How much contact can he have with them yet to see exactly what is going on.

Shouldn't he have more time to reason all of this out?

I'm just speculating here, but I don't see how any of them can be upset at all since he was not going to play a down this season anyway. I mean they are probably asking "Who is Jimmy Johns? Was he on the team?" to hear Saban tell it.

All of this uat spinning is making me dizzy. little nicky is a PROVEN jerk, plain and simple. The "university" pays him to win football games?..okay...He is failing miserably in that category as well.

Next?

All of this uat spinning is making me dizzy. little nicky is a PROVEN jerk, plain and simple. The "university" pays him to win football games?..okay...He is failing miserably in that category as well.

Next?

CTT was 5-6 his first season at AU. i guess he was a miserable failure too.

Next?

CTT was 5-6 his first season at AU. i guess he was a miserable failure too.

You don't think that record was a result of running off the troublemakers that just happened to be some of the better football player? i.e.; Martavous Houston and others. Something your demigod refused to do. Win at all cost right? He also made it to the SEC Championship the following year. Bet you your guy won't do that either. B)

Reporter tells his side. Verifies how thin-skinned he is.

Link

go to the WIQR Audio Archives: Ballgame Sportstalk 7-14-08 and the interview starts around the 33 minute mark. pure gold. B)

Your serve?

That's what journalists do. You don't think every coach in this league (or any major conference) has had to deal with the same thing?

I actually do wonder whether Saban had to deal with this kind of scrutiny at LSU. I don't know what the media in Louisiana is like. However, there are a couple of factors that make me think that they probably like to snuggle up. First, there aren't that many major outlets. New Orleans is huge. Beyond that, it's Shreveport and the homeboys in Baton Rouge. Not much competition there. Secondly, there is no real instate rival. No one is pushing to get the questions answered.

Anyone have any better information on the media situation in Louisiana?

Reporter tells his side. Verifies how thin-skinned he is.

Link

go to the WIQR Audio Archives: Ballgame Sportstalk 7-14-08 and the interview starts around the 33 minute mark. pure gold. B)

uuummm.......WAR-MATT.....I think you shut down their website. I'm not sure, though, if the primary assailant was the number of hits or the REC.

Your serve?

I actually do wonder whether Saban had to deal with this kind of scrutiny at LSU. I don't know what the media in Louisiana is like. However, there are a couple of factors that make me think that they probably like to snuggle up. First, there aren't that many major outlets. New Orleans is huge. Beyond that, it's Shreveport and the homeboys in Baton Rouge. Not much competition there. Secondly, there is no real instate rival. No one is pushing to get the questions answered.

Anyone have any better information on the media situation in Louisiana?

Saban had a lot to deal with at LSU but I am not sure it was to the extent he has now at Alabama. Now, with that said, I don't think it really is that noticably different though but on a scale I would say today he deals with more than at LSU

When he came to LSU, the program was in bad shape as DiNardos classes were failing out of school by double-digits and the facilities were falling apart

Even Curley Hallman never let it get this bad. Then again, maybe this is nine years in the making at LSU.

It may take Nick Saban another nine to clean it all up.

After last week's loss to Alabama-Birmingham--the same Alabama-Birmingham that is in its 10th season overall and fifth in Division I-A--Saban must be wondering if all that money was really worth it.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-28422379_ITM

So, when Saban won the SEC in 2001, he was called a Champion and a God

LSU fans can say whatever they want and do....but he was an absolute GOD that dealt with the media as he does now....by getting snappy

He got into several arguments with Baton Rouge Advocate writers and even had his wife call up the Editor at the Times-Picyune about an article about his son that they didnt want written

Just my opinion without any real knowledge of LSU behind the scenes, pre-Nick or now, but:

Certainly expectations of Saban were much higher when coming to Tuscaloosa than arrving in Baton Rouge. He wasn't the Four Million Dollar Man out of Michigan State, he didn't have a MNC ring, and as Bammers never let anyone forget, the "tradition" at LSU wasn't on the scale of Bama. It's hard to imagine any boosters/PTB more obnoxious and more endowed with the sense of a birthright to directly influence a program than at UAT. LSU hadn't changed coaches like daily underware in the years immediately prior to Nick's arrival. Also, as has been said, there's no big in-state rival in Louisiana and no press eager to feed off that rivalry. Furthermore, I imagine his ego wasn't as inflated coming out of MSU as it is now.

Huge expectations and huge ego add up to huge pressure & less patience on both sides. But he's partly responsible for inflating those expectations and if he can't take the heat without acting like a prima donna, he shouldn't have entered the kitchen in West Vance.

Also, he needs to understand that sometimes the press and public can be his friend. Let's assume for a minute that he really was caught completely off guard by the extra-curricular activities of Jimmy Johns. Isn't just possible that if there had been a better working arrangement between him, his asistants, and the press that some reporter might have asked about JJ off the record earlier, or mentioned to one of his assistants on the side that there were serious rumors in the air about JJ's behavior? Might he have gotten hints from underlings--secretaries, cleaning staff, etc.--or just some fan at an alumni meet-&-greet, if he was more open to contact? Sometime you can learn a lot from "the grapevine" if you're not too conceited to listen to it.

bottom line is that Saban has a responsibility to the players and to the university. He may dislike the media but job of the media is to ask questions. Saban has a public job and his responsibility is to answer questions especially when one of your players has been busted selling cocaine. Of course there will be questions about this and Saban should stand up, be a man, and answer the questions.. instead of running out like a spoiled child.

Archived