This is your coach uat

WAR-MATT

Link

Saban says freshmen may play key roles

By Tim Gayle • July 9, 2008

Read Comments(2)Recommend (2)Print this page E-mail this article

Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?

Alabama coach Nick Saban will have to find some starting linebackers before the 2008 season opener against Clemson. But while the recent loss of linebacker Jimmy Johns may have affected the depth chart, the Crimson Tide football coach didn't seem fazed by the loss of another body at an already thin position.

Saban visited the Capital City for the third time this year, talking to a packed house of approximately 250 members and guests at the Kiwanis Club meeting Tuesday at the RSA Activity Center. He broke away from a vacation at his lake home in north Georgia to speak to the group about Nick's Kids Foundation.

Tuesday's meeting was also the first opportunity since he went on vacation to address the June 24 arrest of Johns on five counts of distributing cocaine and another of possession. Saban issued a prepared statement announcing the dismissal of Johns hours after his arrest, but had not addressed the impact his departure will present to the team at a position already sorely lacking in depth.

"I've been asked about this over and over and over," he said, referring to the constant high expectations surrounding the former "Mr. Football" from Mississippi. "This guy did not play a significant role on our team last year and he had not solidified a significant role on the team we're about to have this season. So I don't know what the concern is."

Two starters remain in limbo for this season. Outside linebacker Zeke Knight is not expected to return from a blood disorder that sidelined him in 2006 and again in offseason workouts this past winter. Also, inside linebacker Prince Hall remains suspended for disciplinary reasons that threaten his status with the team.

That left inside linebacker Rolando McClain, backups Chavis Williams and Brandon Fanney and tailback-turned-linebacker Johns as the only players with any significant varsity experience in spring workouts.

"It's going to be an opportunity for someone else to play," Saban said. "We've got some good young players, good freshmen. If we end up starting two or three freshmen who really want to play, really want to do things the right way, really want to represent the organization in a first-class way, I think we'll be far better off in the long run."

Saban cut short the interview, feeling he had been unfairly blindsided by the continual discussion involving Johns. He later returned and resumed the discussion, making it clear he felt the program was moving in the right direction with a highly touted group of incoming freshman that was ranked the top recruiting class in America by virtually every recruiting analyst.

"There's a certain level of behavior and a standard of excellence that we expect everybody in our organization to represent for our institution. And guys who don't do that are not going to be part of the team," he said. "It's as simple as that.

"In every organization, everybody has a job to do and there's a standard of excellence they have to do their job. This is not what I would say is anywhere near what we want in terms of the standard of excellence we want for our program. But the good young players we have now, I think they're going to provide the character in the future we need to have to be successful."

Saban recently gathered his players for instruction from the Pacific Institute, an organization founded in 1971 to improve the performance of corporations through character building sessions.

"We have programs that build character in our program and we have an extensive drug testing program right now," he said. "We have sports psychiatrists, sports psychologists, a learning institute that has come in this summer that does a character development and self-image class. So we've done a lot of things internally to try and promote and develop character.

"There's two things we can do to improve our program. We have to improve the level of performance from the players that we have in terms of developing them as people and as football players, and we have to recruit better players and have a plan to develop them."

The loss of Johns drops the number of returning scholarship players on Alabama's football team to 63, with issues involving Hall and Knight still unresolved. Among the 30 incoming freshman, Devonta Bolton reportedly entered junior college, leaving 25 incoming freshman on campus. Kerry Murphy is still awaiting academic clearance and Destin Hood is deciding between football and professional baseball after being drafted in the second round of the June draft by the Washington Nationals.

"His family has to make a decision based on a lot of factors," Saban said. "We'd love to have him come to the University of Alabama. He's a fine young man and a good player. We also want him to do what he wants to do and what his family thinks is best for his future."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"There's a certain level of behavior and a standard of excellence that we expect everybody in our organization to represent for our institution. And guys who don't do that are not going to be part of the team," he said. "It's as simple as that."

unless they'll help me win

"I've been asked about this over and over and over," he said, referring to the constant high expectations surrounding the former "Mr. Football" from Mississippi. "This guy did not play a significant role on our team last year and he had not solidified a significant role on the team we're about to have this season. So I don't know what the concern is."

So, he finally fits in over there.

Class and integrity...all the way...'til he walks away and leaves the SixteenthChoiceOne holding the "bag".....

Class and integrity...all the way...'til he walks away and leaves the SixteenthChoiceOne holding the "bag".....

No kidding! There is NOTHING that comes out of this guys mouth that I trust even in the slightest. AND, before you resident bammers chime in with your stupid ass comments know this.............

Auburn fans do not rag your coach over and over just for the fun or hatred of you....Sure, we do this a lot, but this is the least thing to talk about regarding CNS. He is arrogant, a liar, and is NOT a disciplinarian! He has no class or integrity as WarTim says, and he truly is an embarrassment to you! Also, I live in TN, and I travel all over the country. When someone asks me where I'm from originally, I say Alabama, and they ALWAYS assume that I'm a bammer fan and I tell them that is like spitting in my eye. After that, they ALWAYS make comments about what a s*** head CNS is and what a joke UAT is. It is a total embarrassment to me to even be from the state of Alabama sometimes!

WOW....talk about Coach $abban's "Commitment to Excellence" in THROWING A FORMER PLAYER UNDER THE BUS!!!!!! I guess he just wasn't quite "Excellent" or he just didn't have that "Commitment to being Excellent". Sounds to me like Coach $ is just throwing the "Commitment to Excellence" statement around, when dealing with ANYTHING. I'll bet he stands in the mirror everyday and says..."Ahhmmm....Commitment to Excellence" OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.......and at the same time, he moves his midget hands around, trying to punctuate the Commitment to the Excellence. How Committed does someone have to be, to be Excellent? Because to be Excellent in something, one is usually committed to that something. Wouldn't it be fun to be a fly on the way at a prospect's house when Coach $ comes in to talk to them....$1 for every time he mentions A) You're the best player that I've ever seen....Ever, Ever. B ) Commitment to Excellence. You'd be a RICH, RICH man in about 2 Hours.

Plaxico Burress has a book coming out and it he talks about playing for Saban and him bolting MSU for LSU. Basically says he meet with the players the night before to assure them he wasn't going anywhere and was in Baton Rogue the next morning. On the subject of playing for him; he says he is the worst person he has ever encountered in all the years he's played football. I hope he stays at UAT for a long time.

There are also some interesting comments about Kordell Stewart and his rumored lifestyle. :no:

Plaxico Burress has a book coming out and it he talks about playing for Saban and him bolting MSU for LSU. Basically says he meet with the players the night before to assure them he wasn't going anywhere and was in Baton Rogue the next morning. On the subject of playing for him; he says he is the worst person he has ever encountered in all the years he's played football. I hope he stays at UAT for a long time.

There are also some interesting comments about Kordell Stewart and his rumored lifestyle. :no:

pine box.........just wanted to beat the bammers to it.

"There's a certain level of behavior and a standard of excellence that we expect everybody in our organization to represent for our institution. And guys who don't do that are not going to be part of the team," he said. "It's as simple as that."

Is he including himself when he says "everybody"?

"Saban cut short the interview, feeling he had been unfairly blindsided by the continual discussion involving Johns. He later returned and resumed the discussion.."

So basically, if you don't play by his rules, he takes his toys and goes home? Also, did he not think there would be quite a bit of discussion on John's arrest, or as Saban now refers to him "this guy"?

Wait a second. None of these lies even make sense!

Half-game suspension, anyone?

So....up until his arrest for cocaine distribution, Jimmy Johns was living up to the standard of excellence? Why didn't he play last year, then?

How is this all going to taste to the Bammers come December and another 7-win season?

Saban cut short the interview, feeling he had been unfairly blindsided by the continual discussion involving Johns.
Blindsided?!! :blink:

CNS must be the ONLY person in the world that didn't know reporters would be asking questions about the Jimmy Johns affair in "the first opportunity since he went on vacation to address the June 24 arrest of Johns."

When does the book come out and what abou Kordell Stewart's rumored lifestyle? All I remember bout Slash was that he was a great athlete in the NFL.

When does the book come out and what abou Kordell Stewart's rumored lifestyle? All I remember bout Slash was that he was a great athlete in the NFL.

rumors about his sexual preference if you catch my drift.....

Amazon

pine box.........just wanted to beat the bammers to it.

yeah but their guy is showing a pattern of this. B)

Not much even a hard core bammie can say about this unless he just wants to piss in the wind to waste time.

Ok, I am going to stick up for Saban on this

I worked in Detroit for awhile (as some remember on here) and I spent a lot of time with some MSU reporters with the Detroit Free Press and a few others with MLB.com (that write for the Tigers site) as I worked with the Tigers PR department and some with WXYT-1270AM.

They told me plenty of Burress stories about drug use, skipping practices/meetings, and a general hatred for Saban.

He also has a knack for crying wolf which the entire MSU team grew to dislike about him whether it was reasons for missing practices, missing meetings, or even coming up limp for practices yet then playing the next few days.

I just wouldn't believe every word he said especially with Saban.

What is the over/under on little nicky eventually "losing it" at a presser and assaulting a reporter? (Granted, it had better be a little munchkin reporter or a small female or the $4mil boy would be toting a butt whippin!)

This guy is not only a clown and a loser...He has some SERIOUS and OBVIOUS mental "issues".

Who better to be the head criminal in loserville!

Ahhhh, the mullet nation never fails to fail.

What is the over/under on little nicky eventually "losing it" at a presser and assaulting a reporter?

Or with a big time booster or BOT? (not the violent part, just the " losin' it" part)

I mean, didn't the man kiss off the President of the United States while in Miami? You know sooner or later he's going to say/do something to PB Jr. or the current incarnations of Logan Young that'll rub them the wrong way, and then he's out on his ass. For coaches in Tuscaloosa, hell hath no fury like a Bammer scorned! ...ask Bill Curry, Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula, ....or even Gene Stallings!

His answer to developing character is to hire sports psycologists? How about the head coach and assisstants getting to know and be involved with the playersoncampus rather than constantly recruiting? Let's see.....I'm a player and find myself surrounded by negative elements.....Now what are my choices? cal the head coach...naw he don't know me.....OH...I got it!....I'll call that sports psycologist that spent sp much time bonding with and mentoring me....Ill trust his advice.

Notice that he called the Alabama football program an INSTITUTION. I wonder how recruits parents feel about their kids being institutionalized.

I drove past Lake Burton on business yesterday and wondered how St. Nick was getting along with his other neighbors in their $6 mil lake cabins.

I worked in Detroit for awhile (as some remember on here) and I spent a lot of time with some MSU reporters with the Detroit Free Press and a few others with MLB.com (that write for the Tigers site) as I worked with the Tigers PR department and some with WXYT-1270AM.

They told me plenty of Burress stories about drug use, skipping practices/meetings, and a general hatred for Saban.

He also has a knack for crying wolf which the entire MSU team grew to dislike about him whether it was reasons for missing practices, missing meetings, or even coming up limp for practices yet then playing the next few days.

So you're defending his habit of lying to his players? He also mentions other MSU players by name that had issues with St. Nick. But I guess like at UAT it's always the players fault not the grown man who's responsible for them.

So you're defending his habit of lying to his players? He also mentions other MSU players by name that had issues with St. Nick. But I guess like at UAT it's always the players fault not the grown man who's responsible for them.

Players on every team have issues with Saban. I have said that numerous times on here that even at Saban's peak of success at LSU in 2003-2004 he had players wanting to break his neck. That isn't a surprise. But, they still played for him.

He is a stubborn, arrogant coach that believes in his way & no other possible way. Period. But, I think that philosophy works in a way

But, it also gets tired after awhile which is why in 4-5 years I am not so sure he is still at Alabama

Not every Auburn player cares for Tuberville either. Football coaches are difficult individuals to deal with in general. Having a head coach boss you around all the time isn't sunshine and rainbows. It's tough work. Some guys hate it. I've talked with a couple of AU players (current and a few transfers ((go figure))), and they named a few AU coaches that they considered pricks.

Granted, Tuberville doesn't throw players under the bus or seemingly lie to AU players.

Players on every team have issues with Saban. I have said that numerous times on here that even at Saban's peak of success at LSU in 2003-2004 he had players wanting to break his neck. That isn't a surprise. But, they still played for him.

He is a stubborn, arrogant coach that believes in his way & no other possible way. Period. But, I think that philosophy works in a way

But, it also gets tired after awhile which is why in 4-5 years I am not so sure he is still at Alabama

I gotcha. He's still a jerk. B)

I gotcha. He's still a jerk. B)

Not only is he a jerk ,but, every time he is given an opportunity to prove otherwise...He reinforces the notion that he really and truly IS a JERK!

so, i guess CNS should have defended Jimmy Johns and justified him dealing cocaine? then you guys would have railed him for that too.

no, but he doesn't have to act like it's the media's fault either.

Archived