Nick Saban the Terrible

townhallsavoy

Like I said earlier I'm not going to get into a long argument on this .

uhhh...I think that ship sailed days ago! :rolleyes:

(Not that you were the chief perpetrator by any means)

The process is complete :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UAT has lower entrance requirements in order to attract more minorities. Auburn hasn't.

I take offense to this. UA has ALWAYS had a large minority base...especially among black engineering students. We didn't LOWER our academic standards. As a matter of fact, they have gone up since I was there as a result of my departure....

Fixed that for you... :poke:

PT, you can think whatever you want. You can call all the admission office workers you want. If the office is looking at an incoming student's application and lowering the admission requirements for applications from minority students, they're breaking the law. I don't care if you don't like that answer. It's a fact. If you want a link, here's one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger

Accepting students solely on the basis of race or changing admission standards for the purpose of affirmative action is illegal, and I GUARANTEE neither Auburn nor Alabama do that.

Now if you're talking only about how we dole out scholarships, that's a different process, and it's not one that I would expect to have a huge impact on our overall admission standards or incoming average test scores. Auburn DOES give minority scholarships (especially in engineering) as an intentional effort to attract minority students. In the end, Auburn is still the best or second best engineering school in a three or four state radius. So people with high test scores might get upset when they're passed over for scholarships due to Auburn's recruitment policies, but they're still going to suck it up and come to Auburn or they'll get 1) an inferior education in their field or 2) be a long way from home.

I've never understood why Auburn folks (and Bama folks) have to throw out baseless claims about being bigger or having better scores or national reputation or whatever. The two schools are almost the same size. They have basically the same national standing (overall). They have very very very similar incoming test scores. If you're an engineer at Auburn, you're getting a better education. If you're a journalist at Bama, you're getting a better education. If you're in business, there's not a dime's worth of difference and both places are really good. None of that hurts me to say.

As an Auburn man, I am required to point out, however, that if you go to Bama you have to live in Tuscaloosa, wear dark pink, and obsess football tradition that'll never take place in your lifetime... there are some things that UA just can't fix.

Man I'm with you. To me, state schools doing well looks good for the state. I would NEVER want a state university to do poorly just because their football team is a rival.

Wow....I imagine that was very painful for you to type.

PT, you can think whatever you want. You can call all the admission office workers you want. If the office is looking at an incoming student's application and lowering the admission requirements for applications from minority students, they're breaking the law. I don't care if you don't like that answer. It's a fact. If you want a link, here's one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger

Accepting students solely on the basis of race or changing admission standards for the purpose of affirmative action is illegal, and I GUARANTEE neither Auburn nor Alabama do that.

Now if you're talking only about how we dole out scholarships, that's a different process, and it's not one that I would expect to have a huge impact on our overall admission standards or incoming average test scores. Auburn DOES give minority scholarships (especially in engineering) as an intentional effort to attract minority students. In the end, Auburn is still the best or second best engineering school in a three or four state radius. So people with high test scores might get upset when they're passed over for scholarships due to Auburn's recruitment policies, but they're still going to suck it up and come to Auburn or they'll get 1) an inferior education in their field or 2) be a long way from home.

I've never understood why Auburn folks (and Bama folks) have to throw out baseless claims about being bigger or having better scores or national reputation or whatever. The two schools are almost the same size. They have basically the same national standing (overall). They have very very very similar incoming test scores. If you're an engineer at Auburn, you're getting a better education. If you're a journalist at Bama, you're getting a better education. If you're in business, there's not a dime's worth of difference and both places are really good. None of that hurts me to say.

As an Auburn man, I am required to point out, however, that if you go to Bama you have to live in Tuscaloosa, wear dark pink, and obsess football tradition that'll never take place in your lifetime... there are some things that UA just can't fix.

Great post

Wow....I imagine that was very painful for you to type.

No. If you've followed my history here, I have always been supportive of AU as a state university. I want Alabama to be better, sure...because that's where I went. But I want them both to WANT to be better than the other...competition like that is what has landed both schools on the Top 50 public schools list every year for the last 5 years or so.

I love my football team. I love my Alma Mater. But I love my state more than any of them.

PT, you can think whatever you want.--thank you. I will do that.

You can call all the admission office workers you want.--I have. your turn.

If the office is looking at an incoming student's application and lowering the admission requirements for applications from minority students, they're breaking the law. ---I will leave it to you to explain that to them.

Archived