Nick Saban the Terrible

townhallsavoy

I also know Bama never has and never will have 25.

You're crazy. We've been growing year over year for the last 5 years like crazy. I'll bet we hit 30k in the next 10 years.

Additionally, you don't know if the 25,580 was a number that they came to before or after the link you posted. The link you posted very well could have been "early numbers"...or it could have been a revised number that came out after the release...you don't know.

And finally, who here said we had 25k undergrad? It's not in the release I posted. I don't know why we can't count graduate school students. Are they not students?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you can call it whatever you want. Just know that you're one of about five people in the world that's counting grad students. AND I do know exactly when that number was arrived at. If you look at the link I put on here you'll see a number of totals: full-time undergrads, full-time undergrad/grads, full-time on and off campus, then if you scroll down you'll see all the same break downs for part-time students... MAGICALLY all those numbers add up to EXACTLY 25,580. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

Nice job counting the part-time distance learning students though.

Oh and no university in the state of Alabama will ever have 25K undergrad students. Ever. The state has two major universities, a steady population, and no mega-booming cities to draw lots of new residents. Where the hell are we going to get approximately 10-14 thousand new undergraduate students? Since the two universities have roughly similar student body sizes AND have roughly similar endowments, it would be ridiculous to think that an influx of new students would ALL uniformly choose one school. SO seeing as how Auburn is around 20K and Bama is around 19 or 20, it would take an influx of around 10-14 thousand students above and beyond the demographics going to college right now. NO SCHOOL in Alabama will ever hit that number.

The only schools that get to that are places that have the population to get that kind of enrollment primarily through in-state kids (Florida, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia). Bama and Auburn aren't in that situation.

I am SOOOOOO thankful that AU's Coaching staff does not look on our players with this type of attitude. What......"Sign 'em up and if we can find better players next year, We'll cut 'em loose!

Just plain sad...Typical uat.

unless i misread, it stated that he LEFT the team....

Yeah...kind of like "Spitzer 'RESIGNED' as governor of NY.... :poke:

:au::homer:

Well you can call it whatever you want. Just know that you're one of about five people in the world that's counting grad students. AND I do know exactly when that number was arrived at. If you look at the link I put on here you'll see a number of totals: full-time undergrads, full-time undergrad/grads, full-time on and off campus, then if you scroll down you'll see all the same break downs for part-time students... MAGICALLY all those numbers add up to EXACTLY 25,580. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

Oh and no university in the state of Alabama will ever have 25K undergrad students. Ever. The state has two major universities, a steady population, and no mega-booming cities to draw lots of new residents. Where the hell are we going to get approximately 10-14 thousand new undergraduate students? Since the two universities have roughly similar student body sizes AND have roughly similar endowments, it would be ridiculous to think that an influx of new students would ALL uniformly choose one school. SO seeing as how Auburn is around 20K and Bama is around 19 or 20, it would take an influx of around 10-14 thousand students above and beyond the demographics going to college right now. NO SCHOOL in Alabama will ever hit that number.

The only schools that get to that are places that have the population to get that kind of enrollment primarily through in-state kids (Florida, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia). Bama and Auburn aren't in that situation.

Alabama's out of state student enrollment is much higher than AU's. Maybe that's where we get it.

Back on topic -

Just for UATers, the reason why we Auburn fans love to make fun of players leaving Alabama stems from Wincrimson a few months back saying something like this - "We'll make room for our recruiting class. Saban is going to get rid of a lot of Shula's players who can't cut it."

So every time a player willfully leaves or is dismissed, I think we all remember those words coming out of his mouth or erm, fingers.

Alabama's out of state student enrollment is much higher than AU's. Maybe that's where we get it.

link? Not that I'm busting you, I'm just curious. Everyone I've ever met that went to UA is from Alabama or east MS. It seems like everyone I met during my time at AU was from Georgia. I'm just going on anecdotal experience.

link? Not that I'm busting you, I'm just curious. Everyone I've ever met that went to UA is from Alabama or east MS. It seems like everyone I met during my time at AU was from Georgia. I'm just going on anecdotal experience.

You were actually correct.

http://www.princetonreview.com/schools/col...mp;uidbadge=%07

UA out of state + international enrollment - 24.36%

http://www.princetonreview.com/schools/col...mp;uidbadge=%07

AU out of state + international enrollment - 31.57%

Though that site has our undergrad at 21081 and Auburn's at 19812....

.....Since the two universities have roughly similar student body sizes AND have roughly similar endowments,

...Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement-I'm certain that we all know we're much more well endowed than the bammers ;)

Once again.....uaters are forced to compare and contrast their "program" to the largest University in the State.

Priceless....simply priceless............

You're not the largest school in the state anymore. Alabama is.

Not that this fact matters or adds to the discussion, of course.

Once again.....uaters are forced to compare and contrast their "program" to the largest University in the State.

It's amazing...no matter what Auburn has been able to accomplish over the last decade we just can't catch up to you guys-not only have you had more coaches, more player arrests, and more "L" 's in SEC/Iron Bowl games, but now you've also got more students?!??!?....It's depressing being #2 in the state, but I digress as this fact doesn't add to the discussion either... :rolleyes:

Lower standards...more rednecks. :)

:au::homer:

You're not the largest school in the state anymore. Alabama is.----you should say UAT, the Tuscaloosa campus of UA is.

Not that this fact matters or adds to the discussion, of course.---UAT is now larger because of three things:

--UAT spent money on an active recruiting effort over the last few years. Auburn hasn't had to.

--UAT has lower entrance requirements in order to attract more minorities. Auburn hasn't.

--UAT has not restricted growth. Auburn has, and is turning students away. In fact, in spite of raising out of state tuition to ridiculous levels, they continue to want to come.

Auburn has made a concerted effort to cap the size of each incoming freshman class by slightly raising admission requirements and continuing to increase tuition, but I don't think there is a wide gap in the requirements for one or the other. Is there? If so that's new.

According to U.S. News (a decent source, but not very nuanced) the cost of tuition is slightly higher (in and out of state) at Bama, BUT the cost of living is almost $2000 more at Auburn which would make the overall cost higher on the Plains. Not much difference though. And they are both listed as "more selective" on admissions. Dunno how wide that range is though.

From what I can find, Auburn's 2007 average incoming ACT was 24.8, but I can't find Bama's. My guess is it's in the same neighborhood.

Amazing. uaters take the "bait" with ever more alarming speed.

Then again, why else would they be on an AU site unless it was to compare themselves to AU?

Fun stuff...on to the next one.....

Both Alabama and Auburn are good academic schools

I would say UGA, AU, and UA are all around the same academically so let's just be happy

I would say UGA, AU, and UA are all around the same academically so let's just be happy

NO!

NO!

:bounce:

UAT has lower entrance requirements in order to attract more minorities. Auburn hasn't.

I take offense to this. UA has ALWAYS had a large minority base...especially among black engineering students. We didn't LOWER our academic standards. As a matter of fact, they have gone up since I was there.

According to princeton review, AU has a selectivity rating or 86, while Bama has one of 85. AU's middle 50% ACT accepted ranged 22-27, UA 21-27.

So spare me the argument that you guys are selective as Harvard and we are some school that takes in people who couldn't hack it in community college. Your middle 50% ACT score was 1 point higher on the low end. Whoopty freakin doo.

UAT has lower entrance requirements in order to attract more minorities. Auburn hasn't.

I take offense to this. UA has ALWAYS had a large minority base...especially among black engineering students. We didn't LOWER our academic standards. As a matter of fact, they have gone up since I was there.

According to princeton review, AU has a selectivity rating or 86, while Bama has one of 85. AU's middle 50% ACT accepted ranged 22-27, UA 21-27.

So spare me the argument that you guys are selective as Harvard and we are some school that takes in people who couldn't hack it in community college. Your middle 50% ACT score was 1 point higher on the low end. Whoopty freakin doo.

Take all the offense you want. You seemily can't reqad anymore. Where did I mention Harvard. I don't know what a princeton Review said and I'm not going to get into a 15 post argument, I stand by what I said. your president is on the record as saying bama is going to make a concerted effort to grow. Is bigger better? And if you think the average entrance ACT of your incoming minorities each year is on a par with the rest you are sadly mistaken.

And if you think the average entrance ACT of your incoming minorities each year is on a par with the rest you are sadly mistaken.

Link?

Link?

You can't just throw that out there without backing it up. I posted Princeton Review, a VERY reliable source that says your middle 50% of ACT scores were 22-27 and ours were 21-27. Your selectivity index was an 86 compared to our 85? Wooooooooooo.

Yet you try to act like it's SOOOOO much harder to get into Auburn? Whatever.

Your claims are baseless.

Take all the offense you want. You seemily can't reqad anymore. Where did I mention Harvard. I don't know what a princeton Review said and I'm not going to get into a 15 post argument, I stand by what I said. your president is on the record as saying bama is going to make a concerted effort to grow. Is bigger better? And if you think the average entrance ACT of your incoming minorities each year is on a par with the rest you are sadly mistaken.

While you are correct about bg (he is sadly mistaken about most subjects) at least he is attempting to better himself by spending the vast majority of his time on an AU board. Give credit where it is due. :big:

PT, I've never seen one bit of evidence that incoming minorities have lower entrance scores than the general population of Alabama or Auburn. I'd assume they would be if you included all athletes, but I'll bet there's not a dime's worth of difference other than that. Why would I guess that? It'd be illegal to have two sets of admission requirements applied based on the race of the applicant. Illegal. Outside of athletes, I bet they're basically the same.

And BG, Auburn churns out more minority engineers than any school in the south. Dunno if you knew that. Not contentious, just a fun fact. AND PT, we have active, focused recruitment of black engineering students.

So… is this thread about Nick the Terrible or ours is bigger than yours? B)

PT, I've never seen one bit of evidence that incoming minorities have lower entrance scores than the general population of Alabama or Auburn. I'd assume they would be if you included all athletes, but I'll bet there's not a dime's worth of difference other than that. Why would I guess that? It'd be illegal to have two sets of admission requirements applied based on the race of the applicant. Illegal. Outside of athletes, I bet they're basically the same.

And BG, Auburn churns out more minority engineers than any school in the south. Dunno if you knew that. Not contentious, just a fun fact. AND PT, we have active, focused recruitment of black engineering students.

Like I said earlier I'm not going to get into a long argument on this. It is not neccessary. But I will say that if you talk to someone in admissions/scholarships you will find out the facts. One fact......it is not only legal to admit minorities with lower scores but in fact is permissible in some scholarship areas. I'm in Auburn today. I will be glad to show you the way to the office that deals with scholarships and let you get the info from them. Of couse if you really care that much, call them. I can give you one personal example, which is why I know what I am talking about. I have a granddaughter at Auburn now. She made straight A's in HS and had a very high ACT and SAT. She had scholarship offers from lot's of schools, including UAB, but NONE from Auburn. I found out that other kids had gotten offers who had lower grades/scores. When I talked to the people who deal with scholarships, I found out why. Afetr she made straight A's her freshman year, she did get a scholly.BG wants a link. I don't have one. But sometimes unwritten facts are better than links. But one has to do a little research to get facts sometimes. One reason UAT has a lower average ACT for incoming freshman is that they have a higher goal for percent of minorities and are willing to accept lower scores to achieve the goal. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they want. Auburn doesn't have a magic goal and hence the percent of minorities is lower.

Regarding engineering, the incoming class is around 800, the largest ever. The average ACT is expected to be arounf 27.5 also the highest ever. And that is overall average, not the range of some middle 50% which I don't even know what it means.

Now back to Nick The terrible. :P

Like I said earlier I'm not going to get into a long argument on this .

uhhh...I think that ship sailed days ago! :rolleyes:

(Not that you were the chief perpetrator by any means)

Archived