Obama embarks on world tour

autigeremt

by Judson Berger

Thursday, July 17, 2008

When Barack Obama embarks on his upcoming trip to Iraq and Afghanistan he will do so as part of a congressional delegation. But top aides for John McCain are casting his voyage as little more than the Obama world tour.

Campaign aides, though seemingly at odds with McCain’s personal view of the journey, described his trip to the Middle East and Europe as an unprecedented global rally that will have zero bearing on Obama’s policies as a U.S. official.

“This is nothing more than a campaign stop and a photo op for Barack Obama to highlight his candidacy for president,” McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds told FOXNews.com, arguing that Obama established his trip as political by declaring his foreign policy views before even leaving the country. Another aide called the trip a “rally overseas.”

“Everything about this trip indicates … it is about promoting his candidacy, and it has nothing to do with the security of the American people,” Bounds said.

The Illinois senator scheduled the trip following criticisms from McCain and his campaign that he had yet to travel to the war zones as a presidential candidate.

Obama’s trip is expected to be divided into two parts. He will travel to Iraq for the first time since January 2006 and to Afghanistan for the first time ever as part of an official delegation, paid for by taxpayers. He also will travel to other stops in Europe and the Middle East as a presidential candidate, paid for by campaign dollars.

Obama says he plans to meet with troops and commanders on the ground as part of a fact-finding mission that could influence his policies with regard to the War on Terror.

Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan said Thursday that the McCain campaign should “stop worrying” about Obama’s travel plans and start correcting the damage from the “Bush-McCain” foreign policy.

“It’s clear that the McCain campaign is getting nervous about being on the wrong side of the Iraq debate. First John McCain wanted Barack Obama to travel with him to Iraq and the campaign used the occasion to raise campaign cash. Now, his campaign is calling Senator Obama’s trip a ‘campaign rally overseas,’” he said in a written statement.

The McCain campaign used some of its strongest language to date Thursday to criticize Obama’s visit.

“Let’s drop the pretense that this is a fact-finding trip and call it what it is — the first-of-its-kind campaign rally overseas,” McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker told FOX News earlier.

McCain declined to label the trip an outright campaign stop when asked about his aide’s comment Thursday, instead saying he’d “let other people judge.”

“The fact is I am glad he is going to Iraq. I am glad he is going to Afghanistan. It’s long, long overdue if you want to lead this nation and secure our national security,” McCain told reporters.

He later said Iraq and Afghanistan “will not be a place for political rallies or politicization,” but that his European stops could lead to such a scene.

But the presence of election-year American politics may be inescapable. It was that presence that apparently set off concern among German officials, who are reportedly uneasy about a possible Obama speech in front of the Brandenburg Gate, close to where the wall dividing Berlin once stood.

Robert Lichter, president of the Center for Media and Public Affairs, said Obama will need to avoid engaging in political bickering overseas — but that he cannot and should not hide the obvious fact that he is more than a U.S. senator traveling abroad.

“It’s impossible to separate those roles. I’m not even sure that it’s wise to do so. Everything he does now is as a presidential candidate. Everything he does will be interpreted in terms of what kind of president he will be,” Lichter said.

McCain attempted to leave presidential politics behind on recent trips out of the country, to Canada and then to Latin America. But while in Canada, he still took thinly veiled shots at Obama for his positions on free trade, and in Latin America criticized Obama as a flip-flopper — both on the plane to Colombia and in an interview with FOX News in Mexico.

Lichter said that regardless of the potential pitfalls, Obama has an opportunity to comport himself as a statesman — and a potential president.

“He will benefit from (his) popularity abroad, because the media images will show adoring crowds and other world figures saying nice things about him, and it will put him on the level of being a president,” he said. “Part of becoming a viable presidential candidate is convincing people to imagine you as president.”

That image will inevitably be fed by the entourage of media stars who are expected to be in tow once he reaches the Middle East. All three network anchors are reportedly accompanying Obama. The exact timetable of the trip hasn’t been disclosed publicly.

But Republicans are continuing to cast him as just another politician.

The McCain campaign unveiled an eight-minute video Thursday called “The Obama Iraq Documentary: Whatever the Politics Demand.”

The video contrasts past and present statements Obama has made about troop withdrawal, the troop surge and other Iraq debates.

“You’re never wrong if you pretend you gave the right answer all along,” the video says.

The McCain campaign also argues that by laying out his foreign policy platform before he travels to Iraq, Obama is proving that he will ignore the advice of military commanders and that his Iraq strategy is “politically motivated.”

Obama has in recent days downplayed the role of Iraq in the War on Terror, stressing the need to track down terrorists in Afghanistan and prevent nuclear material from falling into the hands of nations like Iran.

He is standing by his plan to remove U.S. troops from Iraq within 16 months of taking office, despite saying recently that he may “refine” his policies after going to Iraq.

“This war distracts us from every threat that we face and so many opportunities we could seize,” Obama said Tuesday.

On another, interesting note the lead anchors for ABC, NBC, and CBS will travel with Obama to cover his trip. No such treatment followed John McCain on any of his recent trips to the Middle East. Many will wonder if this is the liberal biased media at it's finest.

Here we go again.

He is criticized for not going over seas to Iraq, and then he does and it is still wrong.

The problem is this for me.....

Why is it that Obama get's the media bias over McCain? For the big three to send their top anchor to travel with and report on Obama is outright bias to say the least. It's a way to use tax payer dollars to fund his "World Tour" rally. He's not just going to Iraq!

The problem is this for me.....

Why is it that Obama get's the media bias over McCain? For the big three to send their top anchor to travel with and report on Obama is outright bias to say the least. It's a way to use tax payer dollars to fund his "World Tour" rally. He's not just going to Iraq!

I actually think I can give an answer here that is not biased and you could agree to.

The first question of the media coverage for Obama. That is simple. McCain is seen as for continuing the war, so when he goes over there, every knows exactly what will be said. He will have good convos with commanders and troops on the ground. He will learn a little more, etc. We have seen it before from the current admin and even from McCain himself, so there isn't a whole lot new to cover. However, the media will follow Obama around not to make him look good, but if he changes his plan for Iraq he had previously outlined they can jump right on him for flip-flopping, Americas favorite term. It is quite uncertain what will happen when Obama is there so it is better knews and have better ratings to follow Obama. But if anything else, I think the media smells blood so they are following, not because they love him so much.

As far as the second question you can find your a little off base.

Obama’s trip is expected to be divided into two parts. He will travel to Iraq for the first time since January 2006 and to Afghanistan for the first time ever as part of an official delegation, paid for by taxpayers. He also will travel to other stops in Europe and the Middle East as a presidential candidate, paid for by campaign dollars.

So the trips to Iraq and Afghanistan which has been called on from tax payers(such as people on this board saying he should go to the middle east) as well as is official business for the democratic nominee to see what is going on first hand, I don't think there is any reason to think the tax payers shouldn't pay for this. McCain's will be paid for by the tax dollars and has in the past.

Then it says that the other Middle East stops and European stops will be paid for by the campaign. Since the convention has not started he would not be receiving public funding(though he might not anyway). Thus, this won't be paid for by the tax payers but as the article reads, it will be paid for by the Obama camp.

So in closing, the media is there to hurt Obama(don't forget they will flip on an opponent as fast as a politician on an unpopular issue), and Obama is paying for the rest of the trip. The tax payers are only picking up what they are for McCain.

Bottom line: since the start of june, the big 3 networks ABC, NBC, CBS have given Obama 3x the coverage that they have given McCain.

The networks are in the tank for Obama. They are going to WILL him into a win come november...and America will have elected a "rockstar" president who has no substance.

But hey, he's all about "change" so that's gotta count for something <_<

Bottom line: since the start of june, the big 3 networks ABC, NBC, CBS have given Obama 3x the coverage that they have given McCain.

The networks are in the tank for Obama. They are going to WILL him into a win come november...and America will have elected a "rockstar" president who has no substance.

But hey, he's all about "change" so that's gotta count for something <_<

I wish the media was more focused on McCain so he wouldn't keep getting a free pass on his gaffes and outright lies.

I wish the media was more focused on McCain so he wouldn't keep getting a free pass on his gaffes and outright lies.

Like his constant direction changes on how he'd handle Iraq...

Wait....that's not McCain.

Yeah, actually, it IS McCain. If the flip-flops of John McCain is a discussion you'd like to have, we'd be very happy to have that discussion.

Yeah, actually, it IS McCain. If the flip-flops of John McCain is a discussion you'd like to have, we'd be very happy to have that discussion.

It be a good diversionary tactic to get away from my initial point that Obama gets 3x the network coverage McCain gets. And that the media is in the tank for Obama.

John Stewart tells ONE joke about Obama and gets booed. Colbert, ONE joke...silence. So not only do you cover him ALL the damn time...now you aren't allowed to even joke about the guy.

It be a good diversionary tactic to get away from my initial point that Obama gets 3x the network coverage McCain gets. And that the media is in the tank for Obama.

John Stewart tells ONE joke about Obama and gets booed. Colbert, ONE joke...silence. So not only do you cover him ALL the damn time...now you aren't allowed to even joke about the guy.

Except that it wouldn't be a diversionary tactic, it'd be a direct response to your assertion, "Like his constant direction changes on how he'd handle Iraq...

Wait....that's not McCain."

Again, if the flip-flops of John McCain is a discussion you'd like to have, we'd be very happy to have that discussion.

I am sorry, did you just use a liberal show to say they are getting to much coverage. That is like me saying, Bill O'Reilly talks bad about Obama. Or Rush Limbaugh doesn't ever say good things about Obama. OF COURSE HE DOESN'T IT IS A REPUBLICAN SHOW.

Bill O' isn't biased. YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE FACTS!

Obama is scared of coming onto the Factor. He'd get drilled on all the facts and he'd wilt like a flower in the desert.

Bill is biased. I expect a slant on SLANT shows. I don't expect 3x more coverage on NETWORK news stations that are supposed to be bipartisan.

Fox news, for the record, has covered both about the same amount. But I'm not complaining about Keith Olberman's show touting Obama...I know that's what you get with him. Just like Bill is a conservative host.

I don't expect 3x more coverage on NETWORK news stations that are supposed to be bipartisan.

Hahaha, you expect networks to be unbiased? Any reason for that? They are a business like all the others and they will go for whoever they think is more popular with their viewers, just like Fox and CNN.

I am still waiting for the dripping with sarcasm for that one.

Hahaha, you expect networks to be unbiased? Any reason for that? They are a business like all the others and they will go for whoever they think is more popular with their viewers, just like Fox and CNN.

I don't expect CNN to be. Because like Fox, they really don't make any bones about having a slant.

I do expect NBC, CBS, and ABC to be...because they present themselves as such. Maybe a slant with individual journalists here and there...but to be COMPLETELY IN THE TANK for a candidate is wrong IMO.

It is worth multiple chuckles to hear libs try to spin this as anything short of extreme media bias.

Hell, the story is already known as goofball obama has already stated his policy before even visiting, which is humorous itself.

With recent approval rating of 9% for Congress, and our two finalists being Senators, just how many voters will even care to show up? 9%?

Meanwhile, the rest of the world laughs at our non-energy unless it's pristine energy policy, and at the same time, one of our 9%ers jet-trots the globe for show and to pad his foreign policy experience. :thumbsdown:

I don't expect 3x more coverage on NETWORK news stations that are supposed to be bipartisan.

I am still waiting for the dripping with sarcasm for that one.

No sarcasm. Do you actually watch the show, or do you let others tell you how to think?

Archived