Florida writer ranks the SEC stadiums

AUHansel

Well, apparently a Florida writer ranks our stadium numero uno. He must have been at the game in 06 and well, that would have truly amazed anyone in that stadium...i know it amazed me.

Linky

Surprised he has JH number one, not the Swamp

anyway, here's the rankings

1. Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn: It's a beautiful setting for a college football game and the crowd is electric, especially for night games.

2. The Swamp, Florida: It's loud, loud, loud, and one of the unique things about Florida FIeld is that the crowd sits right on top of the action, only a few feet from the benches.

3. Sanford Stadium, Georgia: Like Jordan-Hare, this is a great setting with a wonderful college football atmosphere. And then there are the legendary hedges and Uga.

4. Tiger Stadium, LSU: When the band circles the field before the game playing "Hold that Tiger," it creates goosebumps. Saturday nights at this legendary stadium are still special.

5. Neyland Stadium, Tennessee: It's huge, intimidating and loud. And you've got to like those checkerboard end zones — and the view looking outside the stadium.

6. Bryant-Denny Stadium, Alabama: There are still a lot of reminders that this was the Bear's den. The passion Tide fans have for college football is off the charts. It really is a religion here.

7. War Memorial Stadium, Arkansas: Passionate fans and a great atmosphere, with all that red and those pig calls. It's neat that fans can watch from outside the stadium on a grassy hill over the northeast section.

8. Williams-Brice Stadium, South Carolina: For a team that hasn't had a great deal of success over the years, this stadium is full of atmosphere and excitement on game day. The 2001: A Space Odyssey theme song works for me.

9. Commonwealth Stadium, Kentucky: With the success that has come in recent years, this place has really gotten loud — and gives the Wildcats a great homefield advantage.

10. Davis Wade Stadium, Mississippi State: The fans are passionate and those cowbells tend to get on the nerves of opponents.

11. Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Mississippi: The best part of game day at Ole Miss is still The Grove.

12. Dudley Field, Vanderbilt: It's sort of a wine-and-cheese crowd. Very laid back and preppy.

while I generally agree with most of his list, I still don't see the Sanford stadium buzz that a lot of people have. Been there several times, and it's pretty nice, but just not very loud and for the SEC, loud is really what matters more than nice.

War Memorial Stadium is not Arkansas's normal home field... It's in Little Rock and they might play one maybe two games there a year. Reynolds stadium is their home field, and it's not even mentioned??

War Memorial Stadium is not Arkansas's normal home field... It's in Little Rock and they might play one maybe two games there a year. Reynolds stadium is their home field, and it's not even mentioned??

saw that. Wonder if he's only been there or to both.

One time we went to G'ville in the era before Spurrier where Auburn was winning pretty easy and an usher threatened to remove us from the stadium if we didn't sit down and quiet our boisterous cheering. Got a parking ticket for that game also. Haven't been back so I don't know if they rate that second place ranking they got or not.

I went back to Williams Brice for the Thursday night game a few years ago and if that is the 8th best experience in the SEC we do indeed have a deep and blessed football conference. Unlike LSU and the nightmare that was a game at Legion field (where you had to pay a guy not to steal your car during the game), the South Carolina fans are friendly before and after the game and make for a good visit. I don't think I've ever had as much fun talking to the opposing fans during a game, even one that we should have lost and in reality stole from them. As much hate and disgust that you experience in many of the towns on that list, USC sure makes you glad to travel to a game. It's not the first night game I've been to there and they are loud no matter what you compare it to.

I couldn't get over them having a cheer for a first down though. Then again, when you win as much as they do you have to have something to cheer about.

1. Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn: It's a beautiful setting for a college football game and the crowd is electric, especially for night games.

The best part about that 2006 :uf: game was when we blocked the punt to start the 2nd half not only did it get loud but it stayed loud the rest of the game.

Wow, very cool to see JHS ranked number one. As an Auburn fan, I of course consider us the best, but it is a bit surprising to see a Florida guy rank us that high.

A lot of time these lists just go for the loudest or the most intimidating. IMO Auburn is about number four (at best) in the SEC on a list like that (after LSU, UF and Tenn).

However, if you go by what is the best experience, it really is tough to beat Auburn. Beautiful campus. Friendly fans beforehand. Tiger Walk. Eagle Flight. Passionate (but not obnoxious) during the game. Rolling Toomer's afterward. Damn. We're good.

Florida, LSU, Tenn and Bama get dinged for having obnoxious fans.

South Carolina get bumped down for the stadium not being on campus.

Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, Vandy get major points deducted for not having big stadiums and not having much energy.

Georgia, and to a lesser extent Arkansas have a decent combo of all the factors, but the Auburn experience is better.

The best part about that 2006 :uf: game was when we blocked the punt to start the 2nd half not only did it get loud but it stayed loud the rest of the game.

I'll never forget that blocked punt. My daughter was one month old and I was sitting on the couch holding her while she slept as my wife was trying to get some sleep (she was going to have the night feeding shift). When the punt got blocked I jumped up, spilled my beer, and almost dropped my kid.

I'll never forget that blocked punt. My daughter was one month old and I was sitting on the couch holding her while she slept as my wife was trying to get some sleep (she was going to have the night feeding shift). When the punt got blocked I jumped up, spilled my beer, and almost dropped my kid.

Thankfully you didn't drop her. If she had suffered any brain damage she might have ended up in Tuscaloser.

:au:

Thankfully you didn't drop her. If she had suffered any brain damage she might have ended up in Tuscaloser.

:roflol:

:roflol:

Only the beer was dropped.

I might as well give you the story regarding my son also.

My son was born the day before AU-UA, 2003. (And don't think all during the 2004 season that I didn't say that AU's winning streak started the day after my son was born.) I'm the oldest of four, and none of my siblings had children before I did. So, basically, while I always liked kids, I had NO experience with young children, especially newborns, and had never changed a diaper in my life before my son was born.

I'm sitting in the rocker in the hospital room watching the game. I'm somehow able to maintain my composure during the game while holding my newborn son, no matter how good or bad we're doing (probably because I wasn't drinking). This is a serious bonding moment, and as God as my witness, the first time he ever kicked in the womb was when I was singing the fight song to him. Also, as previously mentioned, I had absolutely NO experience with small children.

So, we're watching the game, I'm holding my son, and what happens.......my kid lets one rip. The vibration so stunned me I almost jumped through the ceiling and dropped my one-day old son. Thankfully I held on, but I really had no clue what I was doing at that point. The ankle biters are going on 5 and 2 right now, and they are still each in one piece, so I guess we're doing ok.

Well, apparently a Florida writer ranks our stadium numero uno. He must have been at the game in 06 and well, that would have truly amazed anyone in that stadium...i know it amazed me.

Linky

Surprised he has JH number one, not the Swamp

anyway, here's the rankings

2. The Swamp, Florida: It's loud, loud, loud, and one of the unique things about Florida FIeld is that the crowd sits right on top of the action, only a few feet from the benches.

3. Sanford Stadium, Georgia: Like Jordan-Hare, this is a great setting with a wonderful college football atmosphere. And then there are the legendary hedges and Uga.

4. Tiger Stadium, LSU: When the band circles the field before the game playing "Hold that Tiger," it creates goosebumps. Saturday nights at this legendary stadium are still special.

5. Neyland Stadium, Tennessee: It's huge, intimidating and loud. And you've got to like those checkerboard end zones — and the view looking outside the stadium.

6. Bryant-Denny JORDAN-HARE WEST Stadium, Alabama: There are still a lot of few reminders that this was the Bear's den. Amazingly The passion delusions of grandure Tide fans have for college football is remains off the charts. It really is a religion Tommy Tuberville's Home away From Home in Tuscaloosa.

Is it fair that we have two stadiums listed???... ;)

I tend to think of it like this: the Auburn experience lacks for nothing. The tailgating is good. The women are beautiful. The campus is pretty. The stadium is big and one of the ten loudest in America. The traditions are classic. The team is elite. Auburn gives you everything you want in a gameday.

The Swamp gives you the ladies. The loudest stadium in the SEC (and probably the country). The jorts are great for jokes. The fans are arrogant (but fun). The "two-bits" thing is so good no other school should even do that cheer. The team is top notch, and you genuinely get a nervous feeling about playing there. The food isn't special, and the bars are generic.

Death Valley has the best "band moment" in the SEC (possibly trumped by the 12th man thing or dotting the i, but it's up there). The food is off the charts good. The people are crass and unique (I kinda like 'em). The stadium is somewhat intimidating, and on a good night, it's deafening. The scenes near the stadium are ho-hum at best. The ladies are SEC-caliber. The team's been great lately, and it's hard to win there.

Those are my top three in the SEC. I can't rank them b/c I'm completely biased. I think Auburn is the be-all, end-all. At the same time, I can appreciate other places.

My next two are Athens (best night-life, great campus, good tailgating, quieter stadium than it should be at that size), Knoxville (great scenes are the place, good entrance, not a fan of the mountain folk, the ladies have always been surprisingly low on my list, and the size of that place is impressive), and Ttown (not as great for tailgating, attractive ladies, the fans are... something, the stadium is loud, but it's not intimidating at all).

I tend to think of it like this: the Auburn experience lacks for nothing. The tailgating is good. The women are beautiful. The campus is pretty. The stadium is big and one of the ten loudest in America. The traditions are classic. The team is elite. Auburn gives you everything you want in a gameday.

The Swamp gives you the ladies. The loudest stadium in the SEC (and probably the country). The jorts are great for jokes. The fans are arrogant (but fun). The "two-bits" thing is so good no other school should even do that cheer. The team is top notch, and you genuinely get a nervous feeling about playing there. The food isn't special, and the bars are generic.

Death Valley has the best "band moment" in the SEC (possibly trumped by the 12th man thing or dotting the i, but it's up there). The food is off the charts good. The people are crass and unique (I kinda like 'em). The stadium is somewhat intimidating, and on a good night, it's deafening. The scenes near the stadium are ho-hum at best. The ladies are SEC-caliber. The team's been great lately, and it's hard to win there.

Those are my top three in the SEC. I can't rank them b/c I'm completely biased. I think Auburn is the be-all, end-all. At the same time, I can appreciate other places.

My next two are Athens (best night-life, great campus, good tailgating, quieter stadium than it should be at that size), Knoxville (great scenes are the place, good entrance, not a fan of the mountain folk, the ladies have always been surprisingly low on my list, and the size of that place is impressive), and Ttown (not as great for tailgating, attractive ladies, the fans are... something, the stadium is loud, but it's not intimidating at all).

I disagree about the ladies at UF and LSU. Half of them are you know whats, and at LSU another 25% of them are drunk. Half the ones at UF think it's appropriate to wear just jorts and a bathing suit to the game, which is nice if all you care about is looking at half naked women but some people have a little more taste.

I'd rather see the girls at Ole Miss or even Alabama before those 2 schools. At least those girls are good looking and can dress nice. BTW the Ole Miss cheerleaders - amazing.

But I agree on pretty much everything else you said.

Nothing touches the cheerleaders at UF with the garter belts. You can have all the Yell Leaders at USC or girls from Oxford you want. I'll take the Gator girls.

I'm actually friends with a cheerleader from UF, and she's pretty hot. I'll still take the Ole Miss cheerleaders in a hotness competition anyday (female of course) though. I'm not actually that big on Ole Miss girls in general, just the cheerleaders. Not that the majority aren't attractive, I just think it's no better than most other SEC schools - plus the stupidity of girls in Oxford is 10x the normal rate. The USC girls don't rank very high in my book. They are so incredibily dumb and artificial.

I know I'm crazy, but I'd still rather have an AU girl.

Archived