Philip Lutzirchen

elbagab

it really looks like he is going to slip away, especially with us in the "ace" formation most of the time from here on out.... he seems like he wants to play in the spread...

the only positive is that Tommy Trott had 5 catches against WVU, and it appears AU will use him alot down the stretch.....

Hopefully Lutz will see this...

I don't see any indication from him that he's likely to slip away. It's natural to have something of a "wait to see who we hire" attitude, but he's saying he's still committed to us. I'd hold off on the hand-wringing.

especially with us in the "ace" formation most of the time from here on out....

How so? We ran the spread for like 60+% of the WVU game, and Tuberville has already stated that the spread will be back next year.

I may get flamed for saying this, but if we switch out of the spread we might not want him. He has stated he doesn't like to run block and if that is the role we are going to have for our TE then we might want a better blocker than catching.

How so? We ran the spread for like 60+% of the WVU game, and Tuberville has already stated that the spread will be back next year.

he also said that there would be no changes to his coaching staff....the day before he fired CTF. if you haven't noticed, CTT says alot of things that never happen or says alot of things and the opposite happens. i don't think there is anybody who can say with 200% knowledge and confidence that CTT will be back next season.

he also said that there would be no changes to his coaching staff....the day before he fired CTF.

I personally believe that he had no intention of firing Franklin until Franklin forced his hand. There was a lot of bad blood in that relationship and the firing was more due to increased tension than poor performance. It got to a point where it was either fire Franklin or fire basically everyone on the offensive staff, and its a lot easier to fire one guy midseason than it is to fire 4+ guys. CTT says a lot of crap but he's not stupid enough to fire a guy a day after saying he's not going to fire him unless an altercation occured which I believe is what happened (despite what CTT and Franklin say).

I can nearly guarantee that if Tuberville stays that the "BBQ Gang" as it has been dubbed will be disbanded this offseason and that new blood will be pumped on that side of the ball. Tuberville isn't stupid enough to can the spread offense after one season but at the same time I'd expect a different version of the spread, one that is modified and has a power/pro feel to it.

it really looks like he is going to slip away, especially with us in the "ace" formation most of the time from here on out.... he seems like he wants to play in the spread...

the only positive is that Tommy Trott had 5 catches against WVU, and it appears AU will use him alot down the stretch.....

Hopefully Lutz will see this...

I think you just want our recruiting season will fail.

i don't think there is anybody who can say with 200% knowledge and confidence that CTT will be back next season.

What do you know, a bamzo got something right! Nobody has 200% knowledge and confidence about anything. . <_<

I may get flamed for saying this, but if we switch out of the spread we might not want him. He has stated he doesn't like to run block and if that is the role we are going to have for our TE then we might want a better blocker than catching.

I saw an article also where it was stated that he didn't like to "line up and block." This guy has no dream or chance of turning pro. You'll not be a pro TE unless you can "line up and block" really well. We need players who will do whatever it takes to help our team win, even if it makes their futures brighter.

what good is a tight end in the spread, wouldn't we want to fill that slot with a quicker player who could get open faster?

what good is a tight end in the spread, wouldn't we want to fill that slot with a quicker player who could get open faster?

There is a specific position in the spread that is essentially a TE/WR hybrid (which Lutzenkirchen is).

he also said that there would be no changes to his coaching staff....the day before he fired CTF. if you haven't noticed, CTT says alot of things that never happen or says alot of things and the opposite happens. i don't think there is anybody who can say with 200% knowledge and confidence that CTT will be back next season.

Ohhh you mean like your coach that says so many things that never happened? or says something and the opposite happens? We all know you guys want to see CTT gone but clean up your glass house before you throw stones over here.

i don't think there is anybody who can say with 200% knowledge and confidence that CTT will be back next season.

What do you know, a bamzo got something right! Nobody has 200% knowledge and confidence about anything. . <_<

I'll give 110% effort at having 200% knowledge and confidence that hindsight is 50/50 while the game is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

Are you on crack? That kid is the real deal. He can do anything he is asked to do. Of course I am a bit biased as I taught him for 3 years in middle school. Phil has many friends at AU and while he is running the CTF spread in HS he still likes AU. Ryan Pugh's dad is the O-line coach and Ryan has been at several practices and games. I wouldn't worry about Lutz not coming and I wouldn't in my wildest dreams wish for him to go elsewhere. Just wait until the highlights of his game vs Centennial hit the internet.

Oh and to all those people who think we can just run the ball and win in the SEC, wake the hell up!

the video was removed..it was just on sportscenter top plays..van pelt wasnt sure how to pronounce the name so he said "I'll just call you the dude that's making out with the homecoming queen right now"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/index

go here - the video clips in the middle of the screen..page 2 of 9. "Amazing Georgia High school football catch"

the video was removed..it was just on sportscenter top plays..van pelt wasnt sure how to pronounce the name so he said "I'll just call you the dude that's making out with the homecoming queen right now"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/index

go here - the video clips in the middle of the screen..page 2 of 9. "Amazing Georgia High school football catch"

That is the play my students won't shut up about. It is funny that greenie said "saving it like a basketball player. Phil is also a damn good Basketball player. I'm telling you he will be first team All-American and he is one we cannot afford to let get away.

You trip me out saying you can't "run the ball and win the SEC." Have you seen Bama play? Did you watch LSU's option offense last year? Did you see us in 2004? Have you watched Florida run the Veer this season? You need to pass the ball efficiently, but all of those teams were built first (and second) on running the ball.

PS. I hope we hang onto Lutz. We need receiving threats, and anyone who pulls a Dansby like that is okay in my book.

You trip me out saying you can't "run the ball and win the SEC." Have you seen Bama play? Did you watch LSU's option offense last year? Did you see us in 2004? Have you watched Florida run the Veer this season? You need to pass the ball efficiently, but all of those teams were built first (and second) on running the ball.

PS. I hope we hang onto Lutz. We need receiving threats, and anyone who pulls a Dansby like that is okay in my book.

I said you can't win in the SEC just running the ball. All of those teams possess the one thing we don't- BALANCE.

I said you can't win in the SEC just running the ball. All of those teams possess the one thing we don't- BALANCE.

If you're going to run a run heavy or power running offense you need to supplement it with a vertical passing game. All those teams run run run and then burn you 40+ yards down field when you start trying to focus on the run. The problem with our run first offense the past few years has been the fact that we lacked ANY deep passing game. Teams could stack the box knowing that even if we did pass it would be a 7 yard route 80% of the time so even if we did complete it it would hardly make the defense think otherwise.

If you're going to run a run heavy or power running offense you need to supplement it with a vertical passing game. All those teams run run run and then burn you 40+ yards down field when you start trying to focus on the run. The problem with our run first offense the past few years has been the fact that we lacked ANY deep passing game. Teams could stack the box knowing that even if we did pass it would be a 7 yard route 80% of the time so even if we did complete it it would hardly make the defense think otherwise.

I'd say the same exact thing has happened this year with the spread. I was glad to see Kodi take at least a few shots downfield against Ole Miss.

Archived