Smoltz possibly a Red Sox?

Ranger12

While I like the idea of a veteran like Smoltz on the team, I am not sure he can help us much on the field.

link

ATLANTA -- John Smoltz's days with the Braves appear to be complete. The veteran hurler could sign with the Red Sox as early as Thursday afternoon.

A Major League source who was in contact with Smoltz on Wednesday night said the 41-year-old right-hander will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox.

Smoltz, who had been with the Braves since making his Major League debut in 1988, will make a guaranteed $5.5 million. The source said his offer also includes "very attainable" incentives that could raise his 2009 earnings to $10 million.

With Smoltz coming off major shoulder surgery, the Red Sox don't plan on having him pitch until June 1. All indications are that he'll get his wish to perform as a starter.

Dang it! My days as a hermit Braves fan is coming quicker that I expected.

Wren is asking to be crucified by letting Smoltz go for that little. He's been with the organization for 20 years and can still bring it. His numbers last season were nasty until he got hurt and with his level of athleticism and competitiveness I'd imagine they'll be just as good next year. He's had a long time to rehab and Cox said he was just nasty when he saw him throw last month.

This is going over surprisingly well for the Braves fans in Atlanta.

I hope y'all caught the sarcasm in that post. Wren has made Pete Babcock look like a Saint in the eyes of Atlanta sports fans. This move is going to be written on his tombstone.

The Braves. :lol:

Has there ever been an organization with so much talent and so much going for them that has chocked as much as they have? The Braves used to be my favorite NL team. Heck I even was known to sport some Braves gear every now and then. Then as I got older, I lost interest in the Braves as my NL team and started liking the Cardinals.

The only other AL team I have ever liked besides the Red Sox, was the Oakland A's during the Bash Brothers years. During that time I only rooted against Oakland when they were playing my Sox. Of course, I was about 14 and what teenager did not like the Bash Brothers?

The Braves. :lol:

Has there ever been an organization with so much talent and so much going for them that has chocked as much as they have? The Braves used to be my favorite NL team. Heck I even was known to sport some Braves gear every now and then. Then as I got older, I lost interest in the Braves as my NL team and started liking the Cardinals.

The only other AL team I have ever liked besides the Red Sox, was the Oakland A's during the Bash Brothers years. During that time I only rooted against Oakland when they were playing my Sox. Of course, I was about 14 and what teenager did not like the Bash Brothers?

For the first question...yes. The Colts and Pistons. The Atlanta Braves of the NFL and NBA.

In a sidenote: Who rotates teams they root for? What's up with the South/Boston connection?

In a sidenote: Who rotates teams they root for? What's up with the South/Boston connection?

I don't rotate the main teams I root for. As I said in the post, I have always been a Red Sox fan as I have always been a Redskins, Dolphins, and Avalanche fan (ever since I started liking hockey). The Braves were my favorite NL team and I grew out of that, but they still were never my overall favorite MLB team. I do have a problem choosing between the Redskins and Dolphins because I have been such a big fan of both for so long, I can't claim a favorite. They are why I have NFL Sunday Ticket.

Many people will rotate secondary teams that they root for. I pulled for the Raiders and Royals when Bo played for them, but they were not my favorite teams in those leagues. I also pull for the Bucs because of Caddy, but if Caddy leaves, I will probably never watch another Bucs game. I think I am not alone among AU fans that will pull for a team that a former AU player is on, unless that team happens to be playing against their favorite team or in my case, they are on a team that I have and will always hate (see below).

I have also rotated some teams that I hate. I have always hated the Yankees, but I also used to hate the Reds because of Marge Schott. Now I don't either hate them or like them. I will always hate the Yankees, Cowboys, Red Wings, Miami Hurricanes, and of course UAT. However, other teams may come and go on that list, depending on if they have an owner or player I can't stand.

As far as the South/Red Sox connection, there is none. I am not a regional sports fan. This state does not have a major professional sports team and I just never was one to pull for the closest team to us. Like I said, my dad was a Red Sox fan for some reason and I just kind of picked up on it and continued it. We also grew up watching the Braves and Falcons, because they were who was on TV all the time. However, when it came to football, I just started drifting toward the Dolphins and Redskins. When Houston moved to Nashville, that made them just 1.5 hours from me, so I tried to start working them in, but I just never could get into being a solid supporter of the Titans. If I go to a Titans game, it will be because either the Dolphins or Redskins game. Last time I went to a Braves game is when the Red Sox played there a few years ago and I plan on going back this year for the same reason.

Archived