Tigers blast their way to win over Pheonix

AUBURN, Ala. - Justin Hargett crushed a 2-1 fastball off of the batter's eye in dead-center for a two-out, two-run home run to give Auburn a 5-3 win in head coach John Pawlowski's debut as skipper of the club. Hargett finished the game just 1-for-4 but his home run was a no-doubter over the 385 marking on the wall in center.

"The sequence he (Elon pitcher Jared Kernodle) threw, the fastball was exactly what I was looking for," Hargett said. "I thought it had a chance (of going out). It felt good when I hit it but I wasn't watching it, I was running because I really wasn't sure. I'm not really a power hitter but I knew it had good flight on it."

Kevin Patterson drew a leadoff walk in the ninth and went to second on Casey McElroy's sacrifice bunt. Ben Jones then popped out to the catcher in foul territory, setting the stage for Hargett's second career home run.

"Elon's a very good ballclub and I knew it was going to be one of those types of games," Pawlowski said. "To see Hargett step up in that situation, it's great to see that, especially in game one of the year; to know that we can come back and we can find a way to win late in the ballgame."

Tough team to open with. They are a very good team with a lot of experience. Our bullpen will have to work and improve to give us a shot at post season play.

Archived