GA Cops hold a ticket-writing contest

Guest AuNuma1

Guest AuNuma1

These cops should not only lose their job but pay some kind of fine. I can't stand crooked cops. :angry:

Ticket-Writing Contest Ends Up With Cops as Losers

PORTERDALE, Ga. (AP) — A contest between two police officers in a small Georgia town to see which one could issue the most traffic tickets was stopped by a judge who overheard the apparent winner talking about it, the mayor said.

Part-time Porterdale police officers Erin Cox and Frank Jackson wrote about 150 tickets in January, which was significantly higher than in previous months, Mayor Paul Oeland said.

Some tickets were for minor offenses, including not reporting an address change to the state or having defective equipment on a vehicle, it was first reported in The Covington News.

The contest was revealed when City Court Judge C. David Strickland overheard the officers talking about it recently. Oeland said "Jackson indicated he had won the contest."

"I think it was sort of bragging rights," said Oeland, a lawyer. "They would make a traffic stop for a legitimate reason and then try to find anything else they could possibly write a ticket for."

The mayor added: "It is not anything that we as a city support."

Both officers were asked to resign by Friday by City Manager Tom Fox, Oeland said. They have been with the department less than a year, he said.

Neither could be reached Friday. There was no answer at the police department.

There was no answer at the police department.

Always comforting.........

:big::big::big::big:

They were all out on a speeding trap!

As long as what they wrote up was legitimate, why ask them to resign. Just give them a warning as to be a little more discerning. They were, technically, doing their job!!!

Writing tickets just for the sport of it is not a cop's job.

Technically it doesn't matter WHY they do it. As long as it is legit. Now in the spirit of the law, maybe they were wrong. But the spirit is not the law. Like I said, reprimanded but not fired. They were essentially fired.

Archived