AUBURN'S FOOTBALL RECORD IN 2009

Aubie

If we win 7 or more games..that will be a suprise to me. We need to get the QB position solid before I say anything more than 7.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The QB situation does not bother me that much based on the fact that almost every SEC team is in a similar situation. They either don't have a definitive QB or it is a brand new QB. Outside of Oxford and Gainesville, this is pretty much the case in the SEC. After those two QB's, it's anyone's game as to who the third best may be.

The QB situation does not bother me that much based on the fact that almost every SEC team is in a similar situation. They either don't have a definitive QB or it is a brand new QB. Outside of Oxford and Gainesville, this is pretty much the case in the SEC. After those two QB's, it's anyone's game as to who the third best may be.

Be that as it may, I can't see Caudle or Burns even being in the "3rd best QB" conversation. Guys like Jefferson (LSU), Mallett (Ark), Garcia (USC), whoever wins the Georgia job, and even *gasp* McElroy (UAT) will probably be in that conversation. I just can't see either of our guys being in the top half of SEC QBs as of right now. If that were to happen though, Malzahn deserves some sort of medal.

I agree that for now Caudle and maybe Burns are not in the top half. But IMO, the gap between Burns and the likes of Stafford and JPW is nowhere near the gap he will have next year against the guys you mentioned.

I agree Jefferson looks great and that Mallet has a lot of hype. Garcia is an oddball that I just can't figure out anymore. McElroy will be decent, but not as good as JPW. All those guys may, and likely are, be better than Burns. But I just don't see the large gap that we faced last year. Last year I was worried about other team's QBs taking charge when ours couldn't. I don't think that will necessarily be the case this year.

And for some reason, I agree that Ole Miss deserves the high hype this year. But I just see Auburn 2003 all over again with them. This year Snead throws a pass to Espy (jk I know he isn't there, but he seems like he has been there forever) in the endzone and he drops it as the Tigers take victory.

Snead is good, but does he have enough talent around him to win the division?

Jefferson looked good last year, but will LSU continue to falter?

Mallet is hyped, but that Arkansas team wasn't all that good last year.

McElroy is the one sitting pretty with all of the talent around him. He should be fine and shouldn't have to do too much to keep Bama from being upset by some teams. But his inexperience will still be a key role in some bigger games.

So many questions for so many teams this year, unlike recent times. This is why I like our chances next year. Not to win the division, but to do better than expected because Auburn does have a returning starting QB. He may not be the best, but he's good enough to be at Auburn. I just think last year was rough on this team and that next year they come back alive a bit. Then in 2010 the expectations will be high again and hopefully Auburn doesn't fold.

Be that as it may, I can't see Caudle or Burns even being in the "3rd best QB" conversation. Guys like Jefferson (LSU), Mallett (Ark), Garcia (USC), whoever wins the Georgia job, and even *gasp* McElroy (UAT) will probably be in that conversation. I just can't see either of our guys being in the top half of SEC QBs as of right now. If that were to happen though, Malzahn deserves some sort of medal.

Well, of course we can't b/c 1) both are in a new system 2) Caudle has little real game experience 3) Burns throwing ability is in question

You can't put McElroy above them any more than any other new starting QB. Whoever the starting QB ends up being, Malzahn is not going to put them in bad positions as we have seen with previous OCs. He has said the running game will be critical and the center of the offensive scheme.

Offensively, AU has to stay injury free on the OL throughout the year. If that happens the O will thrive. A talented group of WRs, RBs and TEs are there for the QB to feed off, along with experience across the OL. The strength will be the D as usual, with only questions of depth at LB.

I think AU will win at least 6 of the 8 home games, my prediction is 7-1 at home, losing to either WVU, Ole Miss, of uat, I think the later two, most likely Ole Miss b/c of their experienced QB returning. Road games I see AU with a tough stretch with games @ Ut, Arky, LSu, UGA. Probably realisticly we will split these at 2-2, w/ Ut and UGA having new QBs. Which this leaves us at 9-3, but probably more realisticly 8-4, imo.

I agree that for now Caudle and maybe Burns are not in the top half. But IMO, the gap between Burns and the likes of Stafford and JPW is nowhere near the gap he will have next year against the guys you mentioned.

I agree Jefferson looks great and that Mallet has a lot of hype. Garcia is an oddball that I just can't figure out anymore. McElroy will be decent, but not as good as JPW. All those guys may, and likely are, be better than Burns. But I just don't see the large gap that we faced last year. Last year I was worried about other team's QBs taking charge when ours couldn't. I don't think that will necessarily be the case this year.

And for some reason, I agree that Ole Miss deserves the high hype this year. But I just see Auburn 2003 all over again with them. This year Snead throws a pass to Espy (jk I know he isn't there, but he seems like he has been there forever) in the endzone and he drops it as the Tigers take victory.

McElroy is the one sitting pretty with all of the talent around him. He should be fine and shouldn't have to do too much to keep Bama from being upset by some teams. But his inexperience will still be a key role in some bigger games.

So many questions for so many teams this year, unlike recent times. This is why I like our chances next year. Not to win the division, but to do better than expected because Auburn does have a returning starting QB. He may not be the best, but he's good enough to be at Auburn. I just think last year was rough on this team and that next year they come back alive a bit. Then in 2010 the expectations will be high again and hopefully Auburn doesn't fold.

I predict 6-6, Better ingredients, Better Pizza, Pappa Johns.

a punt returner for uat

So, am I to understand that this uat moron is comparing a KICKER to a returner?? and crowing about how their returner is better than our kicker?? That's laughable. Obviously our resident uater is grasping at straws trying to compare two non-comparable positions, which is typical of the uaters. javy threw me a little.. I thought his name was Javier?? I know of Javier Arenas....but was at least expecting a comparison of players at the SAME position. Leave it to a uater to reach that far to claim superiority. And he still failed...

I've been saying for years that the Papa Johns founder looks just like Urban Meyer

John_Schnatter_pizza_inside.jpgUrban-Meyer.jpg

I've been saying for years that the Papa Johns founder looks just like Urban Meyer

John_Schnatter_pizza_inside.jpgUrban-Meyer.jpg

LOLOL!! however PC, my comment was in regards to what bowl game we're going to..

No offense...and I'm not flaming here...but to consider Bama a push is probably a reach at this point. Yes, we are replacing some OL and a QB. But UA wasn't even playing the same sport as AU last year.

And you're replace ALL your coaches. You have the same (if not worse) situation in terms of experience at QB. And you lost some pretty significant talent on defense.

That's not to say come november it wont be a push. But in May, considering you haven't taken the field yet, calling that game a push is a stretch.

Wes Byrum is a field goal kicker. Why is he being compared to a punt returner? I don't recall UAT's special teams being that special with the exception of "Javy" as you call him. He is a great punt returner but your field goal kicking has been very suspect the last several years no to mention the punting. I say all you have on special teams is "Javy" and I would give the advantage of that to Auburn.

Oh, damn, my bad.... I don't know why when I read Byrum I was thinking of you PR Dunn ( I think that's his name). The dude has skills, but isn't consistent.

My fault!

special teams which could certainly go either way depending on which Wes Byrum shows up

I might agree that it could be a push, but Byrum is a long way from being in Javy's league. Plus, Alabama's special teams have been very solid the past two years.

My reference was Byrum/Tiffin

Wes Byrum is a field goal kicker. Why is he being compared to a punt returner? I don't recall UAT's special teams being that special with the exception of "Javy" as you call him. He is a great punt returner but your field goal kicking has been very suspect the last several years no to mention the punting. I say all you have on special teams is "Javy" and I would give the advantage of that to Auburn.

Oh, damn, my bad.... I don't know why when I read Byrum I was thinking of you PR Dunn ( I think that's his name). The dude has skills, but isn't consistent.

My fault!

Hands down the nod goes to Bama for kick returners.

I have zero faith in your kicker, however. And on some Saturdays I have zero faith in ours.

We will win 'em all !

Hey, who would have given us a shot in 1993?

I ALWAYS expect AU to WIN....Always.

Some things are finer than Championships........

No offense...and I'm not flaming here...but to consider Bama a push is probably a reach at this point. Yes, we are replacing some OL and a QB. But UA wasn't even playing the same sport as AU last year.

And you're replace ALL your coaches. You have the same (if not worse) situation in terms of experience at QB. And you lost some pretty significant talent on defense.

That's not to say come november it wont be a push. But in May, considering you haven't taken the field yet, calling that game a push is a stretch.

In May every game is a push cause no one has taken the field yet. I'm not sold on Bama being a top ten team right now, but they do have an easy schedule. My take on Auburn's record is 7-5, maybe 8-4 if they win a close one that they lost last year. That is what confuses me about people talking about Auburn, they seem to forget that Auburn was in the game late in 5 of the 7 losses. If the offense can just stay on the field and actually put up around 24-27 points then the Tigers are bowling.

In May every game is a push cause no one has taken the field yet. I'm not sold on Bama being a top ten team right now, but they do have an easy schedule. My take on Auburn's record is 7-5, maybe 8-4 if they win a close one that they lost last year. That is what confuses me about people talking about Auburn, they seem to forget that Auburn was in the game late in 5 of the 7 losses. If the offense can just stay on the field and actually put up around 24-27 points then the Tigers are bowling.

So the Auburn - Furman game is a push? I'll spot you 10 points if you take Furman.

He's absolutely correct. The Bama game is nowhere near a push right now. Bama is clearly the better team. When you lose 36-0 to a team and see the trend, it is difficult to argue. I believe last year at this time everyone (except me) was talking about how easy it was to chalk up the Bama game a W last year based on the prior 6 years. I didn't hear much talk about a push.

I find it laughable that people are writing off UGA as a L seeing that they lose their QB and RB and we almost beat them. Bama kicked our ass and some think that is a push or a W. Crazy.

We will win 'em all !

Hey, who would have given us a shot in 1993?

I ALWAYS expect AU to WIN....Always.

Some things are finer than Championships........

Cocainez a helluva drug....!

So the Auburn - Furman game is a push? I'll spot you 10 points if you take Furman.

He's absolutely correct. The Bama game is nowhere near a push right now. Bama is clearly the better team. When you lose 36-0 to a team and see the trend, it is difficult to argue. I believe last year at this time everyone (except me) was talking about how easy it was to chalk up the Bama game a W last year based on the prior 6 years. I didn't hear much talk about a push.

I find it laughable that people are writing off UGA as a L seeing that they lose their QB and RB and we almost beat them. Bama kicked our ass and some think that is a push or a W. Crazy.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... BAMMER!

pchump is a uater,thus, has no point of view.

With Codi #1 - 7 wins tops

With Caudle #1 - maybe 8 or 9.

:roflol:

Whomever gets the start, they will be the best QB. So I think your theory is pretty flawed.

PC, ask Michigan fans if they thought Appy State was anything but a sure win, or ask Miss State fans about Maine. We can all make guesses right now, some more educated than others, we just have no hard proof what this year will bring. On paper yes Bama has advantages over Auburn but that is just on paper. I'm not going to concede anything to Auburn's oppenents till I see them play.

Who is Codi? God, you'd think people would know our player's names after 2 years of play. But then again, after 10 years, some still can't spell Tuberville properly.

AUSlug, the Appy State game still wasn't a push in terms of predictions. A push means you could see the game go either way and wouldn't bet on it either way. I guarantee you that not even 0.0001% of the population predicted App State to win that game. I guarantee you not even 0.001% predicted it'd come down to the final play. I guarantee you not even 1% said the game would be a push. There is no such thing as a calling a "push" after the game has been played. Because the outcome is known. Pushes are for BEFORE the game. The App State game WAS NOT a push prior to the game. It still is not a push after the game. Because I don't think anybody would not bet Appy State knowing they won.

I guarantee you, outside of the Auburn fanbase, at least 99% would easily chalk up Bama as the victor in a prediction thread. That is not what we refer to as a push. A push would be like Auburn - Ole Miss. Does that mean the game isn't going to be close or won't be come gametime? Not at all. But right now, in May, on paper and in the minds of people - the Bama game is NOT a push.

But if anyone wants to bet on the Bama game this year, that truly thinks it is a push, I will take them up on that bet. No odds, no nothing. Straight up. Any takers? I'll take Bama and hope I lose. But I'm pretty confident that nobody would be willing to take that. If it was August in 2007 and I offered straight up to take Appy State, I'm sure I'd have plenty of takers. Nobody will take Auburn. Pretty sure that means it is not a push if I can't get any brave souls to take Auburn. Because pushes go both ways.

Who is Codi? God, you'd think people would know our player's names after 2 years of play. But then again, after 10 years, some still can't spell Tuberville properly.

AUSlug, the Appy State game still wasn't a push in terms of predictions. A push means you could see the game go either way and wouldn't bet on it either way. I guarantee you that not even 0.0001% of the population predicted App State to win that game. I guarantee you not even 0.001% predicted it'd come down to the final play. I guarantee you not even 1% said the game would be a push. There is no such thing as a calling a "push" after the game has been played. Because the outcome is known. Pushes are for BEFORE the game. The App State game WAS NOT a push prior to the game. It still is not a push after the game. Because I don't think anybody would not bet Appy State knowing they won.

I guarantee you, outside of the Auburn fanbase, at least 99% would easily chalk up Bama as the victor in a prediction thread. That is what we refer to as a push. A push would be like Auburn - Ole Miss. Does that mean the game isn't going to be close or won't be come gametime? Not at all. But right now, in May, on paper and in the minds of people - the Bama game is NOT a push.

But if anyone wants to bet on the Bama game this year, that truly thinks it is a push, I will take them up on that bet. No odds, no nothing. Straight up. Any takers? I'll take Bama and hope I lose. But I'm pretty confident that nobody would be willing to take that. If it was August in 2007 and I offered straight up to take Appy State, I'm sure I'd have plenty of takers. Nobody will take Auburn. Pretty sure that means it is not a push if I can't get any brave souls to take Auburn. Because pushes go both ways.

There you go again, you must enjoy watching yourself type. I am not a gambling man, so good try. You try to hard sometimes.

Archived