Toomers at 9:00

AUHansel

Just to let everyone know, this is a HUGE recruiting weekend for Auburn. Word is the recruits visiting may be at Toomers at 9 PM TONIGHT!!!!! Try to make it, because there are several of the nations top recruits on campus this weekend.

also...I know this was already posted in the recruiting forum(and probably belongs there), but this is really important and needs to be seen by everyone.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Wasn't exactly a post game victory crowd, but from what I read and saw via pics posted, the trees were rolled proper and a nice number of Auburn faithful made the scene. Had I heard earlier, I might have made the trip down from ATL. I think more might have done the same, too.

Sounds like the over all weekend went very well.

Wasn't exactly a post game victory crowd, but from what I read and saw via pics posted, the trees were rolled proper and a nice number of Auburn faithful made the scene. Had I heard earlier, I might have made the trip down from ATL. I think more might have done the same, too.

Sounds like the over all weekend went very well.

IMHO, this could've been positive or negative for you guys. It could be good in the sense that you guys are supportive of your team, and it could be bad that it shows there's nothing to do on a Saturday night in Auburn, Al.

There usually isn't when school isn't in session. And summer doesn't count.

In cities like say, Baton Rouge and Austin, however, have a lot to do...

well.. go do it

Yea, and is Auburn a city? No, it is a college town.

People from NYC could say similar stuff about Baton Rouge. It's all relative.

Umm, YEAH

But yes it is relative...

Umm, YEAH

Of coure it's a city, but what does that matter to a recruit? Most all of them want a college town with a great party scene, great food, and just things to do. Very few want that smal town feel

Auburn has the benefit of the small town feel, while being close to much larger areas with more "things to do." You're 90 minutes from Atlanta, about 75 minutes from Birmingham and 45 minutes away from Montgomery. On top of that, you can be at the beach within 2-3 hours.

Not to mention, plenty of other schools are in places that aren't that big. Gainesville, FL has a population of 117,000 (257,000 in the metro area). Auburn has 54,000 with a metro area of 136,000. Athens, GA has a population of around 100,000 with an metro population of 187,000. Norman, OK has a population of just over 100,000. Tuscaloosa has only 88,000. State College, PA (Penn State) is only 38,000, Blacksburg, VA (Va Tech) has 39,000.

Point being, none of these towns/cities are all that big but have histories of fielding highly successful teams in their respective conferences over the years. Recruits want to go where they have a good chance to start, play in a power conference, get on TV, have a good shot at making it to the next level, can compete for championships and so on. Some are all about the glitz and the big city thing and others aren't. Especially in SEC country, most of these kids come from small towns and are actually most comfortable in such places. Compared to what they had to do, places to eat and parties available to go to, any of these places, even smaller ones like Auburn and State College, PA have way more going on than anything they are used to.

If living in a big city with tons of great things to do were the dominant factor in a recruit's decision, Vanderbilt would be the best team in the league.

Umm, YEAH

Of coure it's a city, but what does that matter to a recruit? Most all of them want a college town with a great party scene, great food, and just things to do. Very few want that smal town feel

Actually recruits want playing time and a staff that they feel comfortable with. There was poll with athletes on it a couple years ago and those things ranked at the top while partying was at the bottom.

Archived