Lawmakers in session can't be arrested for many cr

MDM4AU

MONTGOMERY - State laws that say legislators can't be arrested for drunk driving, speeding and some other crimes during a legislative session would be erased under two proposals passed Wednesday by a legislative panel.

LINK

I would love that! After that incident with Alvin Holmes a couple of weeks ago....

I think he should have been arrested a long time ago....

I would like to know how a moronic law like that was ever in place to begin with!

I would like to know how a moronic law like that was ever in place to begin with!

I heard them talking about this on the radio a few weeks ago. It seems that in the olden days, like early 1900's, a common practice was for sherriffs to "arrest" lawmakers as they were traveling to Montgomery in an attempt to keep them from voting on legislation.

Well, you know. You are standing on the veranda enjoying a mint julip, when you get a call telling you there is an EMERGENCY session. What can you do? You don't want to waste it. And you know you are a good enough driver not to spill it. So there ya go! :D

I heard them talking about this on the radio a few weeks ago. It seems that in the olden days, like early 1900's, a common practice was for sherriffs to "arrest" lawmakers as they were traveling to Montgomery in an attempt to keep them from voting on legislation.

Thanks for the info TA. I was wondering about the reasoning behind that. However, CCTAU's reason probably hits closer to home nowadays. :lol:

Archived