Tyrik Rollison

l1tay2

Im hearing through the rumor mill that Tyrik has the strongest arm of all our quarterbacks and is the most accurate so far in drills.

Who knows, but he will not be starting. If true, good for the future.

PC, what are the chances that C. Todd starts?

Honestly I think, if healthy, Todd gives us the best chance to win this year. He seems to make the best decisions, but didn't have the arm last year. I had a class with him last semester and he had his arm in a sling for about the first month or so. I got to know him fairly well and I hope he does well. I think if his arm comes back to full strength he can certainly be the starter this year.

Honestly I think, if healthy, Todd gives us the best chance to win this year. He seems to make the best decisions, but didn't have the arm last year. I had a class with him last semester and he had his arm in a sling for about the first month or so. I got to know him fairly well and I hope he does well. I think if his arm comes back to full strength he can certainly be the starter this year.

Todd's decision making was not good last year. It may have had something to do with his arm strength, but he made many throws that were poor choices.

Please oh Please oh Please DON'T START CHRIS TODD THIS YEAR!!!!!!! I'm sure he's a nice, cool guy, but I would MUCH rather have Caudle, Burns or even Rollison starting than ole' flappy arm. I'm REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLL ready for the next Jason Campbell to step up at Auburn!!!!!

Todd's decision making was not good last year. It may have had something to do with his arm strength, but he made many throws that were poor choices.

?

First you say he made bad choices, then you say he made bad passes. Which is it? I can understand the trepidation with Todd right now, but if you go back and review the films with someone who knows what to look for, Todd made the best decisions of any QB last year. His execution was off due to an injured shoulder. But from what I saw and have been told, he is exactly the type of guy you need to run an offense. Will there be more talented QBs? I'm sure. But in the end, we may see him on the field due to his knowledge and decision making. I really don;t care who it is, but the bashing of an injured player who put off surgery due to the coaches knowing they had nothing better is unwarranted at this time. If he gets in and stinks up the joint again, I am all for letting him finish on the pine.

Please oh Please oh Please DON'T START CHRIS TODD THIS YEAR!!!!!!! I'm sure he's a nice, cool guy, but I would MUCH rather have Caudle, Burns or even Rollison starting than ole' flappy arm. I'm REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLL ready for the next Jason Campbell to step up at Auburn!!!!!

What if he's the best man for the job? Would you rather go 9-3 with Todd and 7-5 with the other three?

What if he's the best man for the job? Would you rather go 9-3 with Todd and 7-5 with the other three?

You're right, but see this part of my post (I'm REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLL ready for the next Jason Campbell to step up at Auburn!!!!!)

If Todd is the best option this year, start him. If he can run the offense efficiently enough to get some of the other QB's in for game time experience, all the better. I think he did make some pretty good choices last year. I don't remember him throwing an exorbitant amount of int's, but he just didn't have the deep ball, which was evident at the end of the Vandy game when he gave it everything he had for about 35 yards. The coaches will evaluate all personnel in fall camp, and will see more than anyone on this board will. Stand behind their choice and cheer on whoever it is. What we don't need is more grumbling and booing from the stands.

Stepping off my soapbox before I really get started.

You're right, but see this part of my post (I'm REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLL ready for the next Jason Campbell to step up at Auburn!!!!!)

Ole flappy arm huh? Do you know what you are talking about? He probably shouldn't have played at all last year. What if he is the next Jason Campbell. You know Campbell never lived up to the expectations until his senior year right.

So you would rather have a QB out there making bad decisions and throwing INTs on deep passes than someone making good decisions and driving the ball down the field, got it.

"You know Campbell never lived up to the expectations until his senior year right"

Jason Campbell had 4 different OCs in 4 years and all of them ran different systems. Then he goes to the NFL and has 3 different Off. heads his first 4 years there. JC not living up to expectations is less than half of that story, he was a phenomenal athlete/talent w/ the coaching luck of Job. At a USC or ND he wins the Heisman.

Ole flappy arm huh? Do you know what you are talking about? He probably shouldn't have played at all last year. What if he is the next Jason Campbell. You know Campbell never lived up to the expectations until his senior year right.

So you would rather have a QB out there making bad decisions and throwing INTs on deep passes than someone making good decisions and driving the ball down the field, got it.

I agree that Chris Todd should never of played last year. Sorry if I sounded like an ass with my flappy arm comment. I DO WANT whoever is making the best decisions out there to be starting. I AM ready for the quarterback bullshizzle to stop and for SOMEONE to step up and be a bad ass! That's all!

I DO WANT whoever is making the best decisions out there to be starting. I AM ready for the quarterback bullshizzle to stop and for SOMEONE to step up and be a bad ass! That's all!

.....and the congregation said "AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!!!".

I DO WANT whoever is making the best decisions out there to be starting. I AM ready for the quarterback bullshizzle to stop and for SOMEONE to step up and be a bad ass! That's all!

.....and the congregation said "AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!!!".

What if I am? Both of us have an equally good chance of being that man.

If I were an Auburn fan, I would want either Caudle or Rollison. Winning 9 games with Todd as QB would signal Armageddon. And I'd rather be alive than win football games.

What if I am? Both of us have an equally good chance of being that man.

If I were an Auburn fan, I would want either Caudle or Rollison. Winning 9 games with Todd as QB would signal Armageddon. And I'd rather be alive than win football games.

Well I'm an Auburn man and I want the one who wins the job....period. Doesn't matter what his name is, how many stars he has, or what he has done in the past. Now what does it take to win the job....plenty. Knowledge, execution, leadership, and respect.

To the person who said Cambell had all the different OCs and that is why he struggled, you do realize Todd has his 4th offensive co-ordinator this year and tack on an injury to that. So it is a pretty similar situation. Not to mention he has been at three different schools so he could never get more than a year of practice with the same recievers until now.

with that said I hope the best man is NC.

Also, I remember when Neil got there and everyone said he was most accurate. Then KB got there and said he had the strongest arm. Then CT got there and everyone said he had the arm and decision making. Don't buy into what everyone said.

To the person who said Cambell had all the different OCs and that is why he struggled, you do realize Todd has his 4th offensive co-ordinator this year and tack on an injury to that. So it is a pretty similar situation. Not to mention he has been at three different schools so he could never get more than a year of practice with the same recievers until now.

with that said I hope the best man is NC.

Also, I remember when Neil got there and everyone said he was most accurate. Then KB got there and said he had the strongest arm. Then CT got there and everyone said he had the arm and decision making. Don't buy into what everyone said.

Um Caudle probably is the most accurate out of the 3, Burns does have the strongest arm, and Todd does usually make the best decisions on the field. Now Rollison looks to have accuracy and arm strength, lets hope he learns this offense because he has all the tools to be a great future QB.

I am amazed that so many believe that Todd made the best decisions. Compared to whom? I would take Kodi's decision making over Todd's. I remember Kodi's problem being an inability to throw any timing or short route with accuracy. Kodi did make some poor decisions, but no more than Todd.

Campbell had an All-SEC caliber year as a sophomore; he just didn't begin the year as the starter. The whole "he never panned out until he was a senior" is overstated. Decent play as a RS Frosh, great play for the entire second half as a Soph, bombed out as a Junior (with the worst playcalling in America), moved into the first round of the NFL draft as a Senior. As the standard progression goes, his Junior year was the anomaly, not his Senior year.

As for this year, I don't expect to see Todd out there. He had more problems than just an injured arm: bad decisions (if you have a balky arm, you don't force the ball), bad throws (I'll give him slack for this), and a complete lack of confidence. He was painfully scared of making mistakes last year, and he doesn't get the defense of "looking over his shoulder" because he had the longest leash in the SEC at start of the year. If he's the best guy, play him. I just won't hold my breath.

As for Rollison, if he's legit, I hope we use him. I don't want to start him because starting a freshman is almost never your best chance to win (unless your team is really, really bad), but I hope he gets some run out there. With the amount of young guys we are going to be forced to play, the benefits of redshirting him diminish. Let those guys grow up together.

Campbell had an All-SEC caliber year as a sophomore; he just didn't begin the year as the starter. The whole "he never panned out until he was a senior" is overstated. Decent play as a RS Frosh, great play for the entire second half as a Soph, bombed out as a Junior (with the worst playcalling in America), moved into the first round of the NFL draft as a Senior. As the standard progression goes, his Junior year was the anomaly, not his Senior year.

As for this year, I don't expect to see Todd out there. He had more problems than just an injured arm: bad decisions (if you have a balky arm, you don't force the ball), bad throws (I'll give him slack for this), and a complete lack of confidence. He was painfully scared of making mistakes last year, and he doesn't get the defense of "looking over his shoulder" because he had the longest leash in the SEC at start of the year. If he's the best guy, play him. I just won't hold my breath.

As for Rollison, if he's legit, I hope we use him. I don't want to start him because starting a freshman is almost never your best chance to win (unless your team is really, really bad), but I hope he gets some run out there. With the amount of young guys we are going to be forced to play, the benefits of redshirting him diminish. Let those guys grow up together.

I do agree the Campbell situation was very different than Todd. Todd was a transfer who would have never been at Auburn if it weren't for Franklin. I don't think he should have ever played last year and taken the year to have surgery and recover.

I also think it would be unlikely to see him starting, but I do think he will have more of a chance than some think. Especially the ones who never want to see him again.

I think it boils down to what does Gus want?

I believe in year one all he wants is a good decision maker. In my opinion, I believe it is Todd. Todd, is definitely the slowest of the three but I would hope that Gus could talior the offense for more running from Ben, Onterio & Mario with play action passing to help pass protection.

I personally think we have to throw out 90% of what occurred last year at the QB position. Between the terrible O line play and The Worst Play Calling I have ever witnessed in my 34 years on this earth, I don't think we know what we have in Burns or Todd. Everyone is throwing Todd under the bus, but that kid's arm was nothing last year and he should not have played beyond his first half of football.

If Rollison hits the field, I think it translates into a dissapointing season. SEC defenses will crush a Freshman, no matter who it is.

Gus has his work cut out for him to find us a field general when practice starts next week...

I personally think we have to throw out 90% of what occurred last year at the QB position. Between the terrible O line play and The Worst Play Calling I have ever witnessed in my 34 years on this earth, I don't think we know what we have in Burns or Todd. Everyone is throwing Todd under the bus, but that kid's arm was nothing last year and he should not have played beyond his first half of football.

If Rollison hits the field, I think it translates into a dissapointing season. SEC defenses will crush a Freshman, no matter who it is.

Gus has his work cut out for him to find us a field general when practice starts next week...

I think SEC defenses are going to crush any Auburn QB unless the OL performance improves significantly. The OL looked better in the spring, but they are a long way from being dominating. Grimes has them headed in the right direction, but I'm not sure there is enough talent and depth there to keep the better SEC defenses at bay, particularly if a starter gets injured. This is probably the thinnest line (as in lack of depth and margin for injuries) Auburn has fielded in 10+ years.

I don't think a fair assessment of the QBs can be made with the current status of the OL. I don't care if you had Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Ben Rothlisberger taking the snaps last year, they only had 3 seconds to get a pass off before the defense was in the backfield. Fixing this situation is job #1, #2, & #3, then we can get into who is the better QB.

That said, let's look at the QB situation with a dose of reality.

1) Chris Todd-- long-term career-threatening injury, did not participate in spring drills

2) Kodi Burns-- great athlete and runner but has a difficult time hitting short passes, accuracy and consistency are big problems

3) Neil Caudle-- both knees have been operated on, has been on campus 3 years and has only taken about 20 snaps, mostly against Tenn-Martin and Western Kentucky

4) Barrett Trotter-- torn ACL, not available

5) Clint Moseley-- true freshman

6) Tyrik Rollison-- true freshman

Is Todd ever going to be able to throw the ball again? I hope so, but probably not.

Has Burns' passing improved? Didn't look like it in the spring game.

Will Caudle rise to the top? He has gotten to where he is now more from lack of competition than by execution.

Can a freshman like Moseley or Rollison win the job? Maybe, if they can run and throw with better accuracy and consistency than the upperclassmen.

I'm not ready to call this a train wreck because I think Gus is something close to a miracle worker, but it doesn't look very optimistic for 2009. As bad as the offense has been, not just last season, but the past 4 years, you cannot expect a night to day turnaround. I think the current coaching staff can get the job done and will bring Auburn back to prominence, but it will take 2-3 years. Anyone who saw the Texas or Oklahoma offenses last season knows Auburn is light years away from having a balanced, attacking offense.

If injuries do not devastate the OL and Grimes gets some decent performance from them, then maybe Gus can develop a QB, whether he be a senior or a true freshman or somewhere in between. Best case scenario is Gus gets enough out of Burns and Caudle to win 6-8 games, and Moseley and Rollison don't have to burn their redshirt. A more realistic scenario is Gus gets fed up with the performance of Burns and Caudle and starts grooming a new starting QB for 2010 by the 4th game of the season.

Archived