Mark Schlabach (Twitter)...

RunInRed

John Brady? Oh god. NO. That would be as bad as hiring tubby smith. We don't need brady. He would set our program back further than it already his.

I pray it isn't Brady. I had a feeling Anderson would turn his nose up this time. Don't know that Person is the right guy.

I hope that all of those names are smoke screens. Hopefully, our next coach is currently busy preparing his team for the Big Dance.

WT, do we have to have the Tubby Smith conversation again?!?!

I hope that all of those names are smoke screens. Hopefully, our next coach is currently busy preparing his team for the Big Dance.

certainly not. I have nothing good to say about tubby smith.

I'm with you WT. I wonder how many of those here saying they like him have in fact ever met the guy. Frankly I don't want to win at basketball enough to have Tubby or Anserson as our coach. I just can't imagine how bad I would hate to game see Tubby or Anderson lead our team into the new areana for the opening game.I had much rather take my chances with Person. People are ignoring that Person is currently working under PhilJackson, one of the best ever.

I'm with you WT. I wonder how many of those here saying they like him have in fact ever met the guy. Frankly I don't want to win at basketball enough to have Tubby or Anserson as our coach. I just can't imagine how bad I would hate to game see Tubby or Anderson lead our team into the new areana for the opening game.I had much rather take my chances with Person. People are ignoring that Person is currently working under PhilJackson, one of the best ever.

Working under is the key word. Never had any head coaching experience, much less at college level.

I don't know where people on this board get their information, but Tubby was a well respected figure in Lexington as well now in Minneapolis. People like the guy. And he is a better coach than anyone who has ever coached at Auburn. Maybe not the same can be said for Anderson, but he is probably better than most. Auburn would be lucky to have either.

And even if they were a**holes (which they aren't), who cares? Saban is a douche but he wins. Coach K isn't the nicest guy but he wins. Auburn needs to win not employ lovable losers.

I respect you opinion but don't share it. I don't want to win bad enough to have to do it with a douchebag. Winning isn't everything, at last not with me.

If winning doesn't matter then we should just get Lebo back. I think some of you don't know who you want but you all seem to know who you don't want. :rolleyes:

I hope Auburn just gets somebody that has a track record for turning programs around and has NCAA tournament experience no matter who it is.

Another coach I wouldn't mind see coming to Auburn is Stan Heath. He coached at Arkansas and took them to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments but Arkansas ended up getting rid of him even though he took them to the NCAA Tournament his last year at Arkansas. Heath is coaching at South Florida now and has turned their program around. South Florida is actually on the bubble for the NCAA but looks like they'll end up going to the NIT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Heath

Feel free to quibble about Stan Heath too because I'm sure somebody here will have something to say like "he's a loser".

If winning doesn't matter then we should just get Lebo back. I think some of you don't know who you want but you all seem to know who you don't want. :rolleyes:

I didn't say I didn't want to win. I said I didn't want to win bad enough to get a douchebag for a coach. There are plenty of good ones out there who also have reputable character.

Tubby Smith was run out of UK because he didn't recruit "hard" enough (read: dirty enough). He may or may not be an a-hole (I don't have a clue), but he doesn't have a bad reputation.

As for who I'd like to interview (although I don't know if any of them would want the job): Randy Bennett (St. Mary's head coach), Brian Gregory (Dayton), Stan Heath (South Florida), Chris Lowery (Southern Illinois), Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts), and Mark Montgomery (assistant at Michigan State).

All of those guys are young. All of them have a good deal of tournament experience, and all of them are used to playing against a stacked deck, which is exactly what coaching basketball at Auburn is. It's not a great job. It's not a place where the fan base really cares. It's not a place where the athletic department has a history of giving a crap. But it is a major conference job with a new arena. That's something. I think we should cast the net wide to see if some of these guys fit. I like the fact that we're looking at Chuck as well. People think highly of him in the league.

Look at it this way: it would be hard to do worse than Lebo has done over the last six years (two winning records, two finishes in the upper-half of the SEC West... which isn't a dominant basketball division, one post-season appearance).

Archived