Barbee rallies the students

RunInRed

Auburn's Tony Barbee adjusts strategy after key losses; tells students they are 'on my team'

Evan Woodbery

5.09p+barbee.jpg

The loss of Kemp and Cothron, combined with potential season-ending injuries to projected starters Frankie Sullivan and Ty Armstrong, has made Barbee's first-year rebuilding task even more daunting.

But he exuded energy while hosting a pep rally -- dubbed a "Barbee-Q" -- for roughly 800 students in the new Auburn Arena.

"You are on my team," he told the students, many lured by the promise of free food and a tour of the new arena. "Who creates the atmosphere? Does the 80-year-old season ticket holder in the top row? No, you do. Look at your seats. Think about this place if you don't come."

Student tickets wrap around three-fourths of the floor seating, and Barbee told students that all seats would be free this year after he fought "the administration" to stop charging for tickets.

Barbee also introduced a popular local disc jockey, DJ Holleywood, and promised he would be at every home game.

Why?

"We want it to be an event, not just a game," he said.

He met with 40 student leaders before speaking to the larger group and said they shared ideas to increase student participation.

"Everybody strives to be like the Cameron Crazies (at Duke), but you've got to have a starting point, and this is a starting point," he said.

Read more...

Maybe CTB should start asking for volunteers from the student section. With all the attrition we have had I'm sure there are some frat guys and independents can can suit up for us. :bawling::bawling:

we've gone from legitimate contender in the SEC west to lucky to win an SEC game. I'm sorry but that's what happens when you recruit academicly troubled prospects Barbee. Ask Tubberville how his 2007 class panned out, it pretty much cost him his job. Barbee best bring in one hell of a class this year.

Looks like we're going from Lebo's empty seats, to Barbee's empty seats. The season hasn't even started and I'm already not looking foward to it.

Looks like we're going from Lebo's empty seats, to Barbee's empty seats. The season hasn't even started and I'm already not looking foward to it.

WOW.. that didn't take long. Way to over reach and emphasize a totally unfounded point. You really should change your screen name here. It's pretty sad that the man hasn't even coached a game and you've already given up on him. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I guess supporting your university you "claim" to be a fan of is lost on you, huh?

Good ole Sam up there has already written off the entire SEC season with all losses. Nice job buddy. Atta boy. Supporting the university is lost on you too apparently. I hope you two aren't this shallow with everyday life.

WOW.. that didn't take long. Way to over reach and emphasize a totally unfounded point. You really should change your screen name here. It's pretty sad that the man hasn't even coached a game and you've already given up on him. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I guess supporting your university you "claim" to be a fan of is lost on you, huh?

Good ole Sam up there has already written off the entire SEC season with all losses. Nice job buddy. Atta boy. Supporting the university is lost on you too apparently. I hop you two aren't this shallow with everyday life.

etuw77.jpg

Good ole Sam up there has already written off the entire SEC season with all losses. Nice job buddy. Atta boy. Supporting the university is lost on you too apparently. I hope you two aren't this shallow with everyday life.

Tell me one thing in my OP that isn't true...

"we've gone from legitimate contender in the SEC west to lucky to win an SEC game".
Salters, Kemp, Cothron.. all top recruits were going to be the main guys right away. Armstrong and Sullivan out for all or most of the season. That leaves us with no player that averaged higher than 1.9 points per game. We will be lucky to beat an SEC caliber team from what I've seen from the players we have, most of whom have never seen significant playing time.
I'm sorry but that's what happens when you recruit academicly troubled prospects Barbee.
umm duh.
Ask Tubberville how his 2007 class panned out, it pretty much cost him his job.
When you have a class where only about 1/3 actually ever see quality time, this is a big setback for a team. Especially when your competing in the SEC.
Barbee best bring in one hell of a class this year.
Or else we will still not be able to compete at a high level.

And oh by the way..

Good ole Sam supports the university with 20+ grand a year. Good ole Sam will also be at all football and a good number of basketball games this year screaming his lungs out. So... I glady accept your atta boy, and nice job buddy.

The first tip hasn't happened and you're already declaring "we won't win one game." Sheesh.

Nowhere in my post does it say we will not win a game this year.

As Sam said, we're going to be short-handed this year. We're going to have the thinnest bench in the SEC this year and one of the most inexperienced. I think we'll be able to win a few games but I'm not expecting a winning record in the SEC. Even with the new arena it's not going to be filled when we go 5-11 or 6-10 in the SEC this season. That's why I made the empty seats comment.

I don't think I'm the only shallow Auburn fan. Apparently all the empty seats the last several years should prove that.

Eventhough everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, I will never understand what the point of pissing on Auburn accomplishes. Call it fact, the truth, or whatever else you want. I'd just like to know how such a mentality has ever benefited Auburn? Seems to me that some people who like to refer to themselves as "realist" and such, think its important to take it upon themselves to provide a reality check for everyone else. Kinda like Mom making sure junior takes his medicine. Well guess what Mom? I'm a grown @$$ man now and I don't want your damn medicine.

And yes me = :homer:

• 2 weeks later...

"Who creates the atmosphere? Does the 80-year-old season ticket holder in the top row? No, you do."

I hope my mother doesn't see this. She is a scholarship season ticket holder who chose to sit in the top row. She's 79 now, but will be 80 before the end of basketball season, bless her heart.

we've gone from legitimate contender in the SEC west to lucky to win an SEC game. I'm sorry but that's what happens when you recruit academicly troubled prospects Barbee. Ask Tubberville how his 2007 class panned out, it pretty much cost him his job. Barbee best bring in one hell of a class this year.

Kemp and Salters were early signees of Lebo's, Barbee had nothing to do with signing them.

By the time Barbee was hired, approximately 90% of the best players in the country had already signed in the early period or at least committed elsewhere. Moreso than football, a basketball coach gets a pass in his first year's recruiting because of the early signing period. Picking up Cauthron was a great thing by Barbee. 4* players, late in the recruiting season, are a rare opportunity and worth a shot.

Lebo left us in a mess, and his recruiting class was going to be much worse than what Barbee managed to put together. The guard from Columbus and the forward from the Huntsville area are top prospects that Barbee was able to add. Unless you blame Barbee for the injuries to Sullivan and Armstrong, there's nothing to fault him for.

Now, the unfortunate loss of the two injured players plus Kemp, Cauthron and Salters does leave us in a mess. I'd like to think we'll win six SEC games, but that's probably not realistic after all that's happened.

Archived