Mike Dyer

dabrasco

And he was in the game during the last drive. He got more run in the fourth than any other tailback.

I have a question for folks on here that were bashing Mario Fannin earlier this year (despite the fact that he had a shoulder injury). Is Mike Dyer just a fumbler? I mean, that's his second of the year (same number as Mario). Is he just a guy who fumbles a lot? (see the sarcasm dripping? Nothing is wrong with either guy)

And he was in the game during the last drive. He got more run in the fourth than any other tailback.

I have a question for folks on here that were bashing Mario Fannin earlier this year (despite the fact that he had a shoulder injury). Is Mike Dyer just a fumbler? I mean, that's his second of the year (same number as Mario). Is he just a guy who fumbles a lot? (see the sarcasm dripping? Nothing is wrong with either guy)

The jury is still out on that, but it is an increasing concern.

I think both times he fumbled, he was hit low and sent spinning through the air. If that is the case, then they need to work in that area; not sure how you fix that though. :no:

I was kidding! He doesn't have a problem fumbling! He got rocked last night on the fumble. Sometimes, the ball just hits the carpet. Mario doesn't really have a problem either. His second fumble this year came when he got hit on top of an injured shoulder! It just happens sometimes. Both guys are just fine.

I think both times he fumbled, he was hit low and sent spinning through the air. If that is the case, then they need to work in that area; not sure how you fix that though. :no:

I'd be interested in any suggestions too. How do you get a 5'9" 215-lb RB to run so that he isn't hit "low?" j/k There's nothing wrong with Dyer. Someone name me all the RBs who've never fumbled in their football career.

I was kidding! He doesn't have a problem fumbling! He got rocked last night on the fumble. Sometimes, the ball just hits the carpet. Mario doesn't really have a problem either. His second fumble this year came when he got hit on top of an injured shoulder! It just happens sometimes. Both guys are just fine.

Fannin does have a fumble problem. It has been ongoing since he first stepped on to campus. But he is a great player.

Fannin's biggest problem isn't the fumbles. He simply can't/won't see an inside hole. He's going outside, period. If that's open, fine. If it's not, too bad.

The guy is doing his best, but he can help us more as a pass catcher than a RB.

Fannin's biggest problem isn't the fumbles. He simply can't/won't see an inside hole. He's going outside, period. If that's open, fine. If it's not, too bad.

The guy is doing his best, but he can help us more as a pass catcher than a RB.

mARIO IS VERY TIGHT HIPPED AS WELL..THE OPPOSITE OF dYER... If he did run inside he either hits the hole or cannot bounce it outside. Mario is half a step faster but I doubt if he would run inside even if he was face with being benched..sorry. Dyer loves to run up the middle!

Not knocking Cam but GIVE DYER the ball more...Kentucky was playing Cam to fake the option read EVERY time which was giving MD all kinds of running lanes up the middle in the 4th!

Wish I'd seen this thread first....

Dyer only touched the ball 3 times after the fumble, and only 1 of those carries was in the 3rd quarter. He went from midway of the 2nd to the 3 minute mark of the 3rd w/ out a carry. After his fumble, AU only scored 3 pts, until the 4th quarter, and only scored 6 pts the entire 2nd half.

I understand sending a message to Michael that he needs to protect the ball. But the way Cam was shredding the UK D ( 28 carries is FAR too many for any QB ) it seems that Dyer would had a field day gashing the middle, if given a chance.

I'd understand it if he was shaken up some on that fumble play, but that he didn't carry the ball again until late in the 3rd quarter.... I have to question.

I think it had to do more with Cam being able to get 5-7 yards a carry. UK couldn't stop him.

I think it had to do more with Cam being able to get 5-7 yards a carry. UK couldn't stop him.

Probably, but why feed your star QB the ball 28 times, and your best RB only 9 ? If anyone can explain why Mario and Onterrio were given more carries than Michael, other than just Cam was unstoppable, I'd appreciate it.

We were held out of the end zone in the 2nd half. That CAN NOT happen down the stretch. Not with this D.

Probably, but why feed your star QB the ball 28 times, and your best RB only 9 ? If anyone can explain why Mario and Onterrio were given more carries than Michael, other than just Cam was unstoppable, I'd appreciate it.

We were held out of the end zone in the 2nd half. That CAN NOT happen down the stretch. Not with this D.

Technically we (rightfully) CHOSE not to go into the end zone at the end of the game. But we could have if we needed to.

Kentucky keyed on the backs and forced Newton to beat us. They know our coaches are hesitant to run Newton with a lead, the first two series that fizzled in the second half had no Newton runs.

Teams are going to make Newton run 20+ times a game, it is the strategy Kentucky took and I think other SEC teams will pick up on. Force us into calling plays that will wear down our star player...

Kentucky keyed on the backs and forced Newton to beat us. They know our coaches are hesitant to run Newton with a lead, the first two series that fizzled in the second half had no Newton runs.

Teams are going to make Newton run 20+ times a game, it is the strategy Kentucky took and I think other SEC teams will pick up on. Force us into calling plays that will wear down our star player...

That may be a strategy, but if it doesn't start working pretty soon they will all be looking for a different strategy. There is no reason Newton can't run 20 to 30 times a game if that's what they give us.

Absolutely. Make him run, and most of the time he'll beat you as he's proven time and time again this season. Also, I see no problem with him running 20 something times a game. I see lots of comments all over about how we don't need our QB to run that much. Why not? He has a great YPC and I don't see how he would be any less "durable" than a running back. Newton's the one dishing out hits, not the one taking them.

I would like to see more of Dyer, he ran the ball well other than the fumble which I think he took a pretty good shot on that play.

One thing is for sure I'd like to see a lot less of O'Mac as a RB! He simply is not an SEC RB. He goes down way too easy.

If they really are keying in on the backs, all we have to do is fake the zone read, let Newton lean into the "run" and air it out.

Or put Fannin and Dyer in the backfield, put Fannin in motion to the opposite slot, if they follow him out, Option to other side, if not, hit Fannin on a quick route.

We have so many options on offense it's scary. They can try and make us run Newton all night but I doubt they'll ever be able to make us wear him out.

I can explain it: at this point, Mario is a better running back than Dyer. He's just as good carrying the ball, he's a MUCH better blocker, and he's a GREAT pass catcher out of the backfield. He's a better option, and if he stays healthy, he'll get more carries from now till the end of the year.

Fanin seems to have a bit of the same problem - he gets airborne and then the ball gets hit - at least on many of the fumbles I've seen of his...maybe knowing when it's time to go to the ground.

I can explain it: at this point, Mario is a better running back than Dyer. He's just as good carrying the ball, he's a MUCH better blocker, and he's a GREAT pass catcher out of the backfield. He's a better option, and if he stays healthy, he'll get more carries from now till the end of the year.

We'll have to disagree on most of that. I'll give that Fannin is a better pass catcher, because they don't seem to call passes to Dyer very often. I haven't seen Dyer wiff any blocks and I doubt that Fannin is any better a blocker than Dyer. Fannin only runs outside, he can't see a hole inside. Dyer is a much better runner, he can do both.

Also, if the coaches thought Fannin was a better option, the two-game stats wouldn't have looked like this:

Dyer: Rushes 23, net yards 143.

Fannin: Rushes 8, net yards 20.

Fannin didn't get hurt until well into the fourth quarter of the second game. In the eyes of our coaches, at least, Dyer has been the #1 RB since opening day. Fannin may have been listed as the starter as a courtesy to a senior, but the proof of the puddin' is "who were they playing"? They were playing Dyer first, McCalebb second and Fannin third.

Archived