McElroy Rhodes Scholar?

AU!

Just read this on ESPN. Forgive me if its already been posted, but even if we are taking the field against him in a week or so, he deserves some recognition for this.

ESPN

Just read this on ESPN. Forgive me if its already been posted, but even if we are taking the field against him in a week or so, he deserves some recognition for this.

ESPN

He has not won the scholarship. Many people apply for this program. Is that laudable?

ESPN

He has not won the scholarship. Many people apply for this program. Is that laudable?

Yea, cause I believe he's participating in final interviews. He's probably made it through a few steps of qualifications already to make it to this point. We also have two student athletes at Auburn currently competing for these scholarships as well.

Rhodes honor escapes McElroy

By Chase Goodbread Sports Writer Published: Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.

BIRMINGAM | University of Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy was not one of two chosen among 12 finalists as a Rhodes Scholar Saturday.

"We gave it our best shot, going up against a few MIT students, a Yale grad, a Harvard grad, a Naval Academy grad, I’m just proud to have been able to make it to this point and represent Alabama for that," McElroy told The Tuscaloosa News.

McElroy said a Naval Academy graduate and a Harvard graduate were chosen among 12 finalists.

Still a nice accomplishment for him even without being chosen.

Now, I hope we plant him in the grass about 6 times on Friday. :)

By Chase Goodbread Sports Writer Published: Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.

BIRMINGAM | University of Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy was not one of two chosen among 12 finalists as a Rhodes Scholar Saturday.

"We gave it our best shot, going up against a few MIT students, a Yale grad, a Harvard grad, a Naval Academy grad, I’m just proud to have been able to make it to this point and represent Alabama for that," McElroy told The Tuscaloosa News.

McElroy said a Naval Academy graduate and a Harvard graduate were chosen among 12 finalists.

How about 12 times?

How about 12 times?

Better!

Really stinks he had to suffer such a big let down this week.

Oh, and the Rhodes scholar thing sucks too I guess.

i notice he left out that he was also up against TWO Auburn students :moon:

Even if he didnt win the Rhodes, its a pretty big honor to even be considered.

I disagree. He sent in some paperwork and attended an interview. Big deal. This was all self-seeking. He was not honored by anyone...nor was he selected for anything. In fact, this was just self-promotion from a guy that wants to enter politics.

I disagree. He sent in some paperwork and attended an interview. Big deal. This was all self-seeking. He was not honored by anyone...nor was he selected for anything. In fact, this was just self-promotion from a guy that wants to enter politics.

Seriously? Just being selected for an interview is an honor. The committee would laugh at your application - since you obviously have zero respect for your fellow beings.

Seriously? Just being selected for an interview is an honor. The committee would laugh at your application - since you obviously have zero respect for your fellow beings.

Seriously. So you're saying he doesn't want to enter politics? He was greatly honored by "being selected for an interview"? All applicants are interviewed.

Again, he was selected for nothing other than a scheduled time to appear before the board. I see no reason for the hero worship.

I have plenty of respect for fellow human beings. I also understand that some things are laudable, and others are not. Applying for a Rhodes scholarship is not all that unusual.

Seriously. So you're saying he doesn't want to enter politics? He was greatly honored by "being selected for an interview"? All applicants are interviewed.Again, he was selected for nothing other than a scheduled time to appear before the board. I see no reason for the hero worship.

I have plenty of respect for fellow human beings. I also understand that some things are laudable, and others are not. Applying for a Rhodes scholarship is not all that unusual.

Wrong. 2 seconds of research could have taught you that.

And I have no idea if he wants to enter politics.

Seriously. So you're saying he doesn't want to enter politics? He was greatly honored by "being selected for an interview"? All applicants are interviewed.Again, he was selected for nothing other than a scheduled time to appear before the board. I see no reason for the hero worship.

I obtained my information from the Rhodes Scholarship website. I read about the application process in detail before I even responded. Perhaps you'd like to provide your link showing my error. Thanks!

I obtained my information from the Rhodes Scholarship website. I read about the application process in detail before I even responded. Perhaps you'd like to provide your link showing my error. Thanks!

No prob!

A preliminary elimination will be made in all Districts on the basis of credentials. Committees of Selection will then invite selected

applicants to a personal interview; no Scholar will be selected without such interview. Committees of Selection will meet on November 19

and 20, 2010.

PDF

if all applicants are interviewed, then why is this included in the FAQ's?

Q3. When am I likely to hear if I’m to be interviewed?

A. There is no set date. Given the high numbers of applicants in each district

taken by selectors, it could be as little as a week before the interviews.

Seriously. So you're saying he doesn't want to enter politics? He was greatly honored by "being selected for an interview"? All applicants are interviewed.

Again, he was selected for nothing other than a scheduled time to appear before the board. I see no reason for the hero worship.

You lack knowledge as it relates to a scholastic achievement. Lord, irony is super fun!

I will say that I bleed Orange and Blue, but to get that far with the Rhodes is impressive, scratch that, it's an honor. Say what you will about the kid, but he has definitely put in the work in the classroom and other areas. Granted, I hope we make him eat more grass than a goat, but you gotta give the kid props.

I wish him the best.

War Eagle, Beat Bama!

All applicants aren't interviewed.

The essay is very important, and one should approach it conscientiously. Until the

interview (if you are selected for one), it is an important way—along with the letters of

referees and the endorsement letter of your institution—to get a sense of who you are,

how you think, how you write, and what you aspire to. Committees realize that it

cannot be guaranteed that an essay is not reviewed or critiqued by anyone else—

although that is our desire and is the reason we ask that it be certified as one’s own

work. Usually, however, it is evident to committees when an essay has effectively been

written by one’s advisor(s), or by committee, or when it has been so heavily edited that

it is no longer the applicant’s voice. Such essays are not useful.

Additionally, it is a little more than filling out a form:

Very briefly, you will need from five to eight letters of recommendation, the

endorsement of your institution, a personal essay, a certified transcript, a list of

activities, a photograph, and proof of citizenship. Preparation should probably begin

by the spring of your junior year as deadlines for receipt of applications and letters fall

in early October.

Soooo:

I read about the application process in detail before I even responded.

I'm guessing you won't be winning a Rhodes Scholarship for showing aptitude in the areas of research or reading comprehension.

But if they're taking applications on being a dick just because you don't like a football team, I'm sure you'll do great in the interview process.

But if they're taking applications on being a dick just because you don't like a football team, I'm sure you'll do great in the interview process.

I just don't like people that don't eat their hat. :moon:

Archived