what's the most objectively scored/reffed sport?

what do you think is the most objectively scored/reffed sport? what's the least?

i think bowling is the most objectively scored sport...either the pin falls or it doesn't...and a machine determines if you cross over the line or not.

i think any olympic sport where they have judges from the eastern bloc isthe least objective.

ct

i think any olympic sport where they have judges from the eastern bloc isthe least objective.

ct

Would France be in that eastern bloc? Wasn't it a French judge that was sent home because of making deals with the Russians? No that was just another example of French surrender.

Scoring is pretty cut-and-dried in every sport not involving a judge, so outside of diving, gymnastics and figure skating, it's a wash.

As far as refereeing, well, that's a whole 'nother story...tennis is up there on the objective list...McEnroe aside, you don't hear too many people complaining about the linesmen and/or (the person who sits in the high chair). Probably the most controversial thing in tennis is whether or not someone is committing a foot-fault.

Golf has some weird situational stuff, but overall you don't hear too much about the officials out on the course...assessing a penalty for slow play is on the books and that is pretty subjective, but that is about the only thing I can think of.

All of the others have some significant gray areas:

* Football: pass interference, 5 or 15 yard face mask, late hit or not, holding or not, fumble or not, possession or not, etc.

* Baseball: strike zone interpretation, balks, runner interference, fan interference (think Jeffrey Maier from 1996 in Yankee Stadium), etc.

* Hockey: I wouldn't even know where to begin...lots of different penalties and infractions there.

* Soccer: See hockey.

To me, basketball is the least objectively (or most subjectively) officiated sport around...block/charge, what exactly constitutes a foul (defined as contact that gives one an advantage), technical foul criteria, what constitutes an intentional foul (more college than pro), traveling, 3-second violations, etc. Some of those violations are plainly outlined, but there is absolutely no consistency from one officiating crew to the next as far as when these are called.

Everybody will have to forgive me here, but i have a VERY NARROW opinion on what a sport is. Sorry, I just don't consider anything that has judges to be a sport. I don't deny they should be considered athletes, but my definition of sport is extremely NARROW.

Well, at the risk of hijacking this thread even more, I'll throw the Webster's definition of sport out there...

sport--an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

Carry on.

what do you think is the most objectively scored/reffed sport?

Professional wrestling!!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: Exactly what I was thinking. I am also not real big on sports that used judges. Yes, you do have to execute, but if more then one contestant executes just as well as the others, then you have to go by a judges perception or personal preference. I think that is bogus. AUP, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are more like me when it comes to the defination of "athlete" rather then the term "sport". Any competition can be called a sport. Heck, "hide and seek" is technically a sport and I do not have a problem with that. Where my difference comes into play is who is considered an athlete in certain sports. I believe bowling is a sport, but bowlers in general do not have to be athletic to participate or even be good at it. Same with golfing, hunting, and fishing, in which I particpate in all three regularly. I still consider myself an athlete and participate in athletic events, but some things I am involved in do not require athletic skills. Some say if it only requires "good hand/eye coordination" then it is an athletic event, but I strongly disagree with that. Surgery requires good hand/eye coordination, but not all surgeons are athletes and as far as I know, surgery is also not a sport., though I am sure some competitive doctors may think of it as a sport. :lol: Hope this little thesis made some sense. :D:P

what do you think is the most objectively scored/reffed sport?

Professional wrestling!!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: Exactly what I was thinking. I am also not real big on sports that used judges. Yes, you do have to execute, but if more then one contestant executes just as well as the others, then you have to go by a judges perception or personal preference. I think that is bogus. AUP, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are more like me when it comes to the defination of "athlete" rather then the term "sport". Any competition can be called a sport. Heck, "hide and seek" is technically a sport and I do not have a problem with that. Where my difference comes into play is who is considered an athlete in certain sports. I believe bowling is a sport, but bowlers in general do not have to be athletic to participate or even be good at it. Same with golfing, hunting, and fishing, in which I particpate in all three regularly. I still consider myself an athlete and participate in athletic events, but some things I am involved in do not require athletic skills. Some say if it only requires "good hand/eye coordination" then it is an athletic event, but I strongly disagree with that. Surgery requires good hand/eye coordination, but not all surgeons are athletes and as far as I know, surgery is also not a sport., though I am sure some competitive doctors may think of it as a sport. :lol: Hope this little thesis made some sense. :D:P

ranger, we totally agree. I will never deny that those that participate in track and field, gymnastics..etc are atheletes...but I, In NO WAY shape or form consider a professional bowler or golfer, fisherman an athlete. I don't discount their talent, just the definition of athlete. Playing a piano takes incredible talent, but its certainly not a sport. I used to be an avid table tennis player, (even a USTTA member for three years) and got quite a workout from it, but certainly don't consider it to be a sport.

Everybody will have to forgive me here, but i have a VERY NARROW opinion on what a sport is. Sorry, I just don't consider anything that has judges to be a sport. I don't deny they should be considered athletes, but my definition of sport is extremely NARROW.

What sports don't have "judges"?

maybe deer hunting is the most objective then... binary results...0/1, dead/alive.

i think sporting contests have to have judges, no?

nobody has mentioned boxing yet... mano versus mano! yet, judges regularly come back w/ results that seem inconsistent w/ what the viewers have seen.

Archived