Jay Prosch Transfers to AU

jared52

Kid played at UMS-Wright and went to Illinois to play FB but his mom has brain cancer so she asked him to play closer so he could come home more. He's an All-American FB and more on his story is here (props to @JHokanson for the link):

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/former_ums-star_jay_prosch_pla.html

Illinois announces FB Jay Prosch will transfer to Auburn.

@@CFTalk

Illinois All-American fullback transferring to Auburn to get closer to ailing mother http://t.co/x0HpG0yB @rivalsdotcom

@JHokanson

From that link:

An Illinois fullback, who signed with the Illini in 2010 out of UMS Wright in Mobile, Ala., is transferring to Auburn. The former in-state standout has two years of eligibility remaining and will be cleared to play at Auburn immediately...

From al.com:

Prosch, who starred at UMS-Wright and signed with Illinois two years ago, plans to leave the Fighting Illini and hopes to transfer to a school closer to his mother. New Illinois coach Tim Beckman is expected to install a spread offense that doesn't use a fullback, prompting the decision to leave by the player who was recently named first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly.

"I never would have voiced those feelings if they had been running a fullback at Illinois," Iris said, "because I wouldn't want to disrupt the harmony he has there. Since there's not a fullback position, it only makes sense that he transfers somewhere closer and somewhere he can run fullback."

Prosch has requested his release, although he returned to Illinois for the spring semester Monday. Illinois officials have given him permission to talk to nearly 20 schools in the Deep South, Prosch said, and the list includes 11 of the 12 SEC schools, as well as South Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, UAB, Georgia Tech and Florida State.

The only SEC school Prosch can't pursue is Arkansas, where former Illinois offensive coordinator Paul Petrino went after leaving Illinois. Prosch and his family believe Illinois officials don't want him to follow Petrino, fearing it would set a precedent and may inspire other players to follow fired coaches from Ron Zook's staff to other schools.

al.com

Former UMS-Star Jay Prosch plans to leave Illinois, move closer to ailing mother

10454880-large.jpg

MOBILE, Alabama -- Every time Jay Prosch went out with friends during the Christmas holidays, he could feel his mom pulling him back to the house.

It didn't take long for Prosch to realize that Iris Prosch, who is battling brain cancer, wanted the youngest of her four kids to play his college football closer to home.

"She was just like, 'I wish you didn't have to leave. I wish you were closer so you could come home more,'" Jay Prosch said.

That's now the plan.

Read More: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/former_ums-star_jay_prosch_pla.html

Either he expects to fill Lutz's role or he believes the pro-style OC is on the way as well. Either way, I would LOVE to see him lead block out of the I or split I! If he has any sort of hands, watch out!

Statement from Illinois:

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - University of Illinois head coach Tim Beckman announced the transfer of sophomore fullback Jay Prosch to Auburn Wednesday, a move that will allow Prosch to be closer to his family in the Mobile, Ala., area, including his ailing mother. Prosch was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly on Dec. 12 and was an Academic All-Big Ten honoree this year.

"Jay Prosch has decided to transfer to Auburn and will be there for the current semester," Beckman said. "He will have an opportunity to be much closer to his mother, who continues to face health issues. We wish Jay the best as he makes this move."

Prosch served primarily as a blocking back the past two seasons, registering two carries for nine yards in his career. He also was a diligent special teams player, sharing the team's outstanding special teams player award for 2011. Prosch led the squad with 10 tackles this season and had 11 total tackles for the year. In 2010, he helped pave the way for Illinois' single-season rushing leader, Mikel Leshoure, and the Big Ten's top rushing offense.

Are there any special circumstances that he or Auburn can petition the NCAA for so that he can play in 2012?

Prosch has applied for a hardship that would grant him immediate eligibility at Auburn.

Welcome to the Auburn Family, Jay. We hope and pray your mother is able to beat this and we are here for you if needed. I'd rather this didn't happen, but it has and we now stand behind you as you step into a new role here at AU.

WAR EAGLE!

Didn't see this posted above (from ESPN's Big 10 Blog):

Illinois fullback Jay Prosch among 'freaks'

May, 19, 2011

5/19/11

By Adam Rittenberg

In case you missed it -- and I don't blame you after all our of Big Ten spring meetings coverage -- but colleague Bruce Feldman published his much-anticipated "Freaks" list on Wednesday.

Feldman's freaks are the top workout warriors in college football, and Illinois fullback Jay Prosch is the Big Ten's lone representative on the list.

A few years ago there was a 250-pound fullback on top of this list named Owen Schmitt. Prosch, a rising sophomore, may top this list in a year or two. Illini staffers say Prosch has calves as thick as some men's waists. Still, he's been measured at 6 percent body fat. He power-cleans 382 pounds, hang-cleans 401 and can bench 405 for two reps. In high school he was a guard and a linebacker, but Ron Zook's staff loves his presence as a fullback.

Prosch is an interesting story who generated some attention this spring. He left the team in early April for eight days to be with his mother, who underwent emergency surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her brain. Prosch returned to Champaign and drew praise from the coaches for his on-field performance.

May, 19, 2011

5/19/11

By Adam Rittenberg

In case you missed it -- and I don't blame you after all our of Big Ten spring meetings coverage -- but colleague Bruce Feldman published his much-anticipated "Freaks" list on Wednesday.

Feldman's freaks are the top workout warriors in college football, and Illinois fullback Jay Prosch is the Big Ten's lone representative on the list.

A few years ago there was a 250-pound fullback on top of this list named Owen Schmitt. Prosch, a rising sophomore, may top this list in a year or two. Illini staffers say Prosch has calves as thick as some men's waists. Still, he's been measured at 6 percent body fat. He power-cleans 382 pounds, hang-cleans 401 and can bench 405 for two reps. In high school he was a guard and a linebacker, but Ron Zook's staff loves his presence as a fullback.

Prosch is an interesting story who generated some attention this spring. He left the team in early April for eight days to be with his mother, who underwent emergency surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her brain. Prosch returned to Champaign and drew praise from the coaches for his on-field performance.

He sure should be able to block. Can't wait to see him in action! War Eagle! Welcome to the Family!

May, 19, 2011

5/19/11

By Adam Rittenberg

He sure should be able to block. Can't wait to see him in action! War Eagle! Welcome to the Family!

Exactly what our smallish RBs need in front of them?

Welcome to the Auburn Family, Jay. We hope and pray your mother is able to beat this and we are here for you if needed. I'd rather this didn't happen, but it has and we now stand behind you as you step into a new role here at AU.

WAR EAGLE!

^^^THIS^^^

Welcome to the Family and War Eagle.

Archived