Lowering the flag for Whitney Houston?

augrad68

Should the flag be lowered for Whitney?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the flag be lowered for Whitney?

• No
    • Yes

The Govenor of New Jersey has announced that the flag will be lowered to half staff for Whitney Houston. I think that should be reserved for dignitaries specifically soldiers and policeman! Not entertainers!

There are specific rules in place as to when the American flag should be lowered. I am pretty sure that a state governor does not have the authority to order the American flag to be lowered. He only has the authority to order the state flag to be lowered. It should not be lowered for Whitney Houston's death unless President Obama orders it lowered (I wouldn't put it past him).

I am sure that the parents of U.S. soldiers from N.J. who were killed in combat and did not have the flag lowered for them will appreciate seeing the flag lowered for Whitney Houston.

Edit: As shown in my later post, the state governor does have the authority to lower the flag for the death of a present or former government official. I stand corrected.

The gesture by Christie is one thing. If it were done nationally I'd have a problem with it. Brothers and sisters lost in combat get a day each year set aside on Memorial Day. For me it's every day, but I don't have a problem with it in her home state.

The gesture by Christie is one thing. If it were done nationally I'd have a problem with it. Brothers and sisters lost in combat get a day each year set aside on Memorial Day. For me it's every day, but I don't have a problem with it in her home state.

The question is: Does Christie have the authority to order the flag lowered?

According to this, a state governor can order the plag flown at half-staff for the death of a present or former official of the state .

This is from the U.S. flag code:

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and

(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

According to this, a state governor can order the plag flown at half-staff for the death of a present or former official of the state .

This is from the U.S. flag code:

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and

(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

If it had been me, I'd lower the State of NJ flag and left the U.S. alone. I am a bearer of flag honor, and I HATE to see people misuse it. I guess this is something Gov. Christie will have to explain if people want him to.

Archived