UK's One and Done Method

AUtiger98

I keep hearing people bash Kentucky and Coach Cal for his kids only staying one year. The thing is kids have always been able to leave after their Freshman season for the NBA. The only thing different today is kids have to go to college for one year. This was a great rule because way to many High School kids were going to the NBA and many either didn't pan out or were not even drafted. For the kids not drafted they couldn't play in college after they declared. Now those high school kids who were borderline NBA prospects can now prove themselves in college first. They are no longer jumping to the NBA because a family member has convinced them they are the real deal. If you ask me it has made the college game better because best players are spending some time in college and some will now stay more than a year. It will be interesting to see how many Freshman actually go pro this year.

Fyi, the rule is they have to be 1 year removed from high school before going to the NBA, they don't have to go to college. They can play overseas ala Brandon jennings and can even play in the d league. Personally I think the rule is dumb and people should be able to pursue job opportunities as they see fit and assume those risks that go with it. Many of the high school kids who don't get drafted still have the chance to play overseas and make a better living than most Americans.

So should they change the rules for baseball (can go out of high school but if you choose college, must stay three years) and football (must be three years removed from high school graduation) as well?

A kid out of high school is hardly prepared for life in professional sports. Coach Cal isn't breaking any rules and obviously has been sucessful but I think it's a disservice to these kids to use them and send them on their way after a year. At that point, don't even make them enroll in school, just let play for a year and cut 'em loose.

I enjoy Auburn basketball (especially when they're winning!) but to me BB is something that happens between football seasons!! :lol:

I don't understand the John Calipari hate. They get on him because his players leave after their first year. Isn't essentially half of coaching your recruiting responsibilities? His players leave early because he recruits, and gets, the best players -- who are good enough to goto the NBA after a short college stay. He should be commended for landing the best of the best high schoolers, not discounted.

It is, on some level, like Auburn football fans getting mad at Chizik for recruiting guys that end up leaving after their junior years -- I'd be ecstatic that we're landing those types of guys because it means the Auburn staff is doing a bang up job recruiting the best of the best! Especially if its a plug-and-play situation like Coach Calipari has. Kentucky deals with mass exodus year after year, and reloads seamlessly.

A kid out of high school is hardly prepared for life in professional sports. Coach Cal isn't breaking any rules and obviously has been sucessful but I think it's a disservice to these kids to use them and send them on their way after a year. At that point, don't even make them enroll in school, just let play for a year and cut 'em loose.

I enjoy Auburn basketball (especially when they're winning!) but to me BB is something that happens between football seasons!! :lol:

I highly doubt Coach Cal is 'sending them on their way'...I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to keep Davis, MKG and the others for as long as they'd like to stay...

Agreed, basketball is just something to take up time before spring football starts. I wish football could be played 365. That would be great!

Archived