Chuck Person

chappaslappa

Chuck should be the top canidate to replace Lebo, IMO. Didn't he just within the last week say that he would be open to taking a college head coaching job as long as it was in a big conference? Doesn't sound like coincidence to me...

Not only is he an alum, and maybe the best basketball player in our history but he is an assistant for Phil Jackson. He is perfect.

I am not on the same page as you. Chuck Person is not a splash hire and the only reason he is coaching at the Lakers is because they signed Ron Artest. We need a splash hire and someone with a lot of energy and coaching experience.

I wouldn't say perfect.. He hasn't proven himself as a head coach.. can he even recruit? can he direct a big program? is he all that you believe he is? there's a LOT of questions concerning Chuck.

The thing is Jacobs hired Chizik. He was not a splash hire, but had connections to Auburn. I have a feeling the same is going to happen with Persons.

Yeah, but there is a difference. There isn't anything wrong with the football program. It just needed a good leader. The basketball program is down and out and needs someone to resurrect it.

IMO Chuck Person being the next head coach would not be a step backward, it would be a whole staircase backward.  He is the fourth or fifth coach on the Lakers bench.  He doesn't even sit with the other assistants.  He has never been a head coach at any level.  He has never coached in college in any capacity.  He has never recruited a high school athlete.  He has never sat in a living room trying to convince a player and his family that he needs to come to Auburn.  And after all of that, he does not a four year degree.  Doesn't the job description require that Head Coaches have a minimum of a four year degree from an accreditted university?  

We must hire a proven head coach or a long time assistant from a major program.  JMO.  

. We need a splash hire and someone with a lot of energy and coaching experience.

I think Chuck would be a splash hire for Auburn. He may not have the head coaching experience but he is a Phil Jackson protege which is priceless and he was a leading canidate for the Bulls HC job the other season so obviously the NBA thinks he can coach. I also think that he would be pumped to come back to his alma mater and would come in with the energy and recruiting tenacity to start to turn this ship around. And even if he can't personally recruit I'm sure he will get an assistant that can and that big, pretty, brand-new coliseum sure won't hurt recruiting.

Chuck should be the top canidate to replace Lebo, IMO. Didn't he just within the last week say that he would be open to taking a college head coaching job as long as it was in a big conference? Doesn't sound like coincidence to me...

Not only is he an alum, and maybe the best basketball player in our history but he is an assistant for Phil Jackson. He is perfect.

I don't think that he was actually on the Laker's coaching staff. He was only there assisting Ron Artest.

. We need a splash hire and someone with a lot of energy and coaching experience.

I think Chuck would be a splash hire for Auburn. He may not have the head coaching experience but he is a Phil Jackson protege which is priceless and he was a leading canidate for the Bulls HC job the other season so obviously the NBA thinks he can coach. I also think that he would be pumped to come back to his alma mater and would come in with the energy and recruiting tenacity to start to turn this ship around. And even if he can't personally recruit I'm sure he will get an assistant that can and that big, pretty, brand-new coliseum sure won't hurt recruiting.

I don't think you understand. He isn't a Phil Jackson protege. He was ONLY hired by the Lakers b/c they signed Ron Artest and Person was familiar with him from when he was with the Pacers.

I think you may very well get your wish...but I don't like it. War Eagle to Chuck. He's an AU man. Great player etc. I've got all kinds of respect for Chuck Person, but I don't think he's the right choice to be our coach. I could be wrong and there's nothing wrong with your logic. What you just said makes sense and I'm not flamming you in any way whatsoever.

I would just rather have a guy who's a hot up and coming Head Coach somewhere, that has some successfull experience being a Head Coach somewhere else and is ready to jump to a bigger school, conference etc. Just my opinion. I'm nervous that Chuck is going to be it....and you may just get your wish. If so, I wish Chuck all the luck and success in the world and will go to games and do my part as a fan to help. I'll get behind him of course. I'll just be nervous... :-\

I guess I heard wrong then. Either way I think ya'll are being way to down on him and I think he would do as good as Mike Anderson or Barbee.

I would still be happy with any of the top canidates named and I think any of them would better than Lebo has.

Why dont we hire Chuck as an assistant coach?

Now there is an idea I like. Not so sure he would go for it but it's a good idea.

I don't agree at all. We need somebody who can recruit. Chuck has never recruited a player in his life. Chuck has very little coaching experience, and none as a HC, as far as I know.

Guest War Eagle 29

This whole thread is a moot point. Chuck does not have a degree, therefore he is not eligible to be the head coach at Auburn.

What is this I hear about Chuck Person not having the appropriate degree to even be considered for the job??  Can anyone add any insight to that rumor?

We have a new $92.5 million arena. We need to go ahead and go for the gusto and hire a proven coach (PITINO). As someone posted earlier, would you put a double wide on a million dollar piece of land?

This whole thread is a moot point. Chuck does not have a degree, therefore he is not eligible to be the head coach at Auburn.

Got a link to that requirement? I've seen that "must have a degree" thing thrown around, but so far nobody has been able to prove it.

I have mixed feelings on this.

I think Person could coach, and do so pretty well. I also think he would be the guy who could get around the Mark Komara ban.

He played in state at Brantley, and Auburn, and has the street cred inside our state to work around this Komara deal.

Can he recruit big time? :dunno:

Can he really excite the fan base? :dunno:

Would he be a splash hire? :thumbsup:

I will support whomever is chosen, I hope that they are the BEST Auburn can get. I really do not wish to settle for just a good guy again.

WAR EAGLE!

:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

They actually coach in the NBA? Wow, I thought they just give it to their best player and let em do what they do.

Archived