Chuck Person

chappaslappa

I can't see it.  How does a coach recruit a kid to come a degree when he doesnt' have one himself??  I suspect the Administration will squash this early if necessary.  I agree with ST.  We need a splash and Chuck just isn't to me.

Well we can all agree I'm sure, whoever JJ hires, he'll be better than Lebo  :laugh: (no offense Coach)

Y

Why dont we hire Chuck as an assistant coach?

That would be a great idea.  I agree with u 100%.  Might get your foot in the door at some 4 star recruits house. 

This whole thread is a moot point. Chuck does not have a degree, therefore he is not eligible to be the head coach at Auburn.

Got a link to that requirement? I've seen that "must have a degree" thing thrown around, but so far nobody has been able to prove it.

I agree 100%. People throw the degree thing around like they know what they are talking about but I haven't seen anything to prove it. This rule may exist, I'm not saying it doesn't- but I'd like to see something that states you can't coach if you don't have a college degree. If so, then the Person debate is over and let's move on. Proof, proof, proof!!!!!!

I have done some digging.  I can't find anything specifically for Auburn University.  The closest I found was Head Coach of the Auburn Equestrian Team.  The qualification calls for a minimum four year degree for that job.  There are several sites that list NCAA job openings.  I have linked one below.  Almost every job qualification requires a minimum four year degree or Bachelor's Degree and in alot of cases a Master's Degree is required. 

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/search/results/index.cfm?p=3&ss=1&sb=JOB_EMPLOYER&so=ASC 

It sounds like Person's job with the Pacers, Kings and Lakers is Ron Artest's babysitter.  Is this who we want as our HC right now.  Chuck is an Auburn man but he is not ready to be a HC in college. 

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/01/burning-camp-question-3-will-chuck-persons-hiring-keep-artest-in-line-as-a-laker/22665/

Chuck is an Auburn man but he is not ready to be a HC in college. 

Maybe he is ready, maybe he isn't. I'm sure JJ has some tools to use when evaluating prospective coaches. I'm not ready to rule Chuck Person out.

I am not an expert at selecting the next head basketball coach at Auburn, but I will point out that a basketball coach is basically a 'one man show', who must do everything.  Football coaches have a lot of help from their assistant coaches, especially recruiting!

Chuck Person is well known at Auburn. He has not been a head coach. but he has the experience of knowing basketball and knowing what it takes to win. He is not an unknown. His profile can indicate a lot about his ability to do the things it takes to put a staff together who will work with total commitment to build a winning program. It is taking a chance to hire him, but it is probably a better chance than to take a mediocre coach who wins just a game or two more than he loses every year. My choice would be a young coach who is growing and getting better every game, and never gives up. Yes, experience in working in a college organization would be important. Going after recruits who would fulfill the needs of his team, no matter who they are or where they are, is a requirement. There are a lot of kids out there who play basketball, and a coach who knows basketball will find them. It isn't like having to fill 22+ positions on a team. Surely a few good men are available to fill the bench with good, even some great, basketball players. If it is exciting, they will come! The facility is not an issue!

I can't see it.  How does a coach recruit a kid to come a degree when he doesnt' have one himself??  I suspect the Administration will squash this early if necessary.  I agree with ST.  We need a splash and Chuck just isn't to me.

I think Jay Jacobs is very adamant about graduating student athletes.  To hire a coach without a degree, would not be a very good way to promote this.  I would be very surprised if Jay is even considering Chuck Person at the next basketball coach.  (FWIW)

Archived