Next AU coach (rooting for Mitchel) and local AL press attacts

jgforau

Besides the fact that he is a proven coach with tons of connections recruiting-wise, one of the main reasons (and the one that pushes him ahead of a lot of the other candidates mentioned) I am pushing Sam Mitchel is that I think he will be a coach that is difficult to ridicule/put down/demean on a constant basis.  If they come after him with the usual BS...the positive response from the NBA media will overwhelm the negative press on a national basis...and that is where we want to recruit if we want to play with the big boys.

Opinions?

If by local press, you mean Finebaum, who really cares what he says?

Why would the NBA media care what local Alabama press says about a coach?  Do you think they read the Birmingham News or watch Fox6?

:dunno:

If by local press, you mean Finebaum, who really cares what he says?

Why would the NBA media care what local Alabama press says about a coach?  Do you think they read the Birmingham News or watch Fox6?

:dunno:

Baldscum = no thanks

Mitchell would be a solid hire for us for a variety of reasons, including the fact he is available right now.

Mitchell would be a solid hire for us for a variety of reasons, including the fact he is available right now.

^^^^^^^aman. I hope his name is one of the names on JJ's list.

You guys have certainly done your home work... I like some of the choices. Its looking like JJ is taking his time... and im guessing that is a good thing... get the right man for the job.

As long as the job is still open, I'm rooting for Tubby Smith, Mike Anderson and Steve Alford. We need a proven winner at the college level.

Besides the fact that he is a proven coach with tons of connections recruiting-wise, one of the main reasons (and the one that pushes him ahead of a lot of the other candidates mentioned) I am pushing Sam Mitchel is that I think he will be a coach that is difficult to ridicule/put down/demean on a constant basis.  If they come after him with the usual BS...the positive response from the NBA media will overwhelm the negative press on a national basis...and that is where we want to recruit if we want to play with the big boys.

Opinions?

The NBA media is not worried about what goes on at Auburn. They have no dog in that hunt. And I don`t expect us recruiting on a national basis whomever the coach is. There is enough talent in Alabama and Georgia that if we can get our fair share of them we will be alright.

I have been rooting for Mitchell the whole time.  People keep throwing the degree thing up.  Sam could use that to his players to show the importance of getting one.  Hey guys dont do what I did.

I'm not concerned about making a splash with a big name coach or an NBA guy that may or may not understand recruiting.  I want a quality guy who knows the college game and has a plan of how to get AU competitive.  THis plan will require knowing what kind of players we can get, and what style of play you have to have with that type of player.  Anderson would be my first choice, but I don't think he will come, so we need to look to his assistants or former assistants that are head coaches at smaller schools now.  Anybody know any of these guys?

Anderson would be my first choice, but I don't think he will come, so we need to look to his assistants or former assistants that are head coaches at smaller schools now.  Anybody know any of these guys?

Anderson is a Nolan Richardson clone, worked for him for 17 years. Why not go for the real deal and just hire Nolan?

You know what happened with him at Arkansas?  That is why, that guy knows basketball and I like his coaching style, but the way he handled those off the court issues excludes him from who we should be considering (IMO).  As they say, sue your boss and you may never have another. 

Archived