I am now on the Chuck Person Bandwagon

Droxside

He does have some nice credentials, and I will be a fan of his as long as I live. I do have some reservations about him though. It has been proven it isn't easy to recruit to Auburn, so we need a top notch coach who is also a top notch recruiter IMO. Chuck has never recruited a kid in his life and has also never been a HC at any level. I would love to see us hire Tubby and bring in Chuck as a coach-in-waiting type deal. Chuck could learn under a quality college coach on how to recruit and run a colleg team.

He does have some nice credentials, and I will be a fan of his as long as I live. I do have some reservations about him though. It has been proven it isn't easy to recruit to Auburn, so we need a top notch coach who is also a top notch recruiter IMO. Chuck has never recruited a kid in his life and has also never been a HC at any level. I would love to see us hire Tubby and bring in Chuck as a coach-in-waiting type deal. Chuck could learn under a quality college coach on how to recruit and run a college team.

I agree fully with what you are saying.  Auburn needs someone to come in and make us relevant again in BB.  We need someone who will get us in the door with top recruits with his name, (Tubby or Anderson).  I love Person and he has always been one of my all time favorite AU athletes.  I would love to see him assist a Tubby or Anderson.

:wedance:

I have read all of the comments here and respect everyone's thoughts and opinion's. Maybe the Lebo experience has everyone gun shy towards hiring a man that has never been a head coach and I understand that. Let me say though that there is absolutely zero chance Chuck Person comes To Auburn or probably any where else in the NBA unless it is as a head coach. He has paid his dues and you do not leave the Lakers and Phil Jackson in LA for an assistant job at Auburn, even if your heart is there, makes absolutely no sense. I stand by what I said...My first choice and by far the man I think we should go after is Scott Drew, hands down. My second choice is Chuck Person as he is not Lebo and the young, very talented high school players and their parents would flock to play for him. Just my opinion...Read what MikeP said above and understand that if we are to keep players like DeMarcus Cousins instate that it does not hurt to have someone coaching who has been there and done that...   

Can we please now put to rest the "doesn't have a degree, can't be HC" thing? Does everyone understand you (for right or wrong) don't have to be a college graduate to be the Head Coach? Man, that is getting old!

I am not disagreeing with you but do you have an official link that states that? 

Degree or not, do you want a man to be the Head Coach at Auburn who has never been a Head Coach at any level and has never been more than a third or fourth seat NBA Coach?  I personally want a proven college Head Coach or at least an assistant at a successful major college program.   

Here it is again. Link:

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/03/does_a_basketball_coach_really.html

As far as "official link" no, there is no official link and also, no way to prove a negative.  In civilized (non-internet) debate, the burden of proof is on the person that claims there is such a requirement, since, as noted, a negative can't be proved. The closest to proof is that Brett Hawke, the head swimming coach, does not have a degree.

Now, Basketball recruiting is different from other sports. Every, and I mean EVERY D-1 prospect expects to play in the NBA. I did not say hopes to play or dreams of playing, they EXPECT to play. They'd much rather play for a Chuck Person or Sam Mitchell, with proven NBA ties than somebody that's never been there. A college degree is something that might come up if they get in a auto accident and become paralyzed.Otherwise, NBA is what they are thinking.

And Chuck person has, among other things, been defensive Coordinator for two different NBA teams. Like in football, DC is an important job.

There is no nwritten requirement that says you have to have a degree. And just because the NCAA doesn`t have one doesn`t mean an individual school can`t have that requirement. Hawke does not have a degree but is actively working on his and isn`t far away. Person doesn`t have one; isn`t close to one and isn`t working on one. That distinction has been discussed within the Athletic Dept. more than once. I don`t know if a recruit would rather play for Chuck or Mitchell than someone else.

If everybody puts aside their personal preferences for the new coach and read all the posts on this thread, it will be obvious why the choice of the new coach will be made only by Jay Jacobs. Thank goodness.

Hawke does not have a degree but is actively working on his and isn`t far away. Person doesn`t have one; isn`t close to one and isn`t working on one. That distinction has been discussed within the Athletic Dept. more than once. I don`t know if a recruit would rather play for Chuck or Mitchell than someone else.

Please tell me how you know the status of Hawke's and Person's academic progress. Last time I checked, that information was covered under the Privacy Act. Also, where were you standing while Athletic Department people discussed this "more than once"? Was this in the building or at the next table at the Auburn Oyster Bar? You've got my curiosity up!

Hawke does not have a degree but is actively working on his and isn`t far away. Person doesn`t have one; isn`t close to one and isn`t working on one. That distinction has been discussed within the Athletic Dept. more than once. I don`t know if a recruit would rather play for Chuck or Mitchell than someone else.

Please tell me how you know the status of Hawke's and Person's academic progress. Last time I checked, that information was covered under the Privacy Act. Also, where were you standing while Athletic Department people discussed this "more than once"? Was this in the building or at the next table at the Auburn Oyster Bar? You've got my curiosity up!

Be curious my friend. All I can say is that my info is correct as best I can find out. I haven`t given out any info covered under any privacy act. Most if not all of this info came from published or openly public sources. Whether a person is in school or not is not so private. If the info turns out to be incorrect or if the sharer of the info allows me; I will let you know. At this time I can`t and I`m sure you understand that also. Mike P, my e-mail address is lised if you would care to contact me otherwise. Would be willing to talk otherwise on this or anything else we need to.

WDE

on undercover, it was mentioned that he has actually had quite an impact on the lakers this year so tifwiw

He may have had an impact but he is not even listed as an assistant coach on their website. 

on undercover, it was mentioned that he has actually had quite an impact on the lakers this year so tifwiw

He may have had an impact but he is not even listed as an assistant coach on their website. 

His impact is the same as it has been elsewhere.  Keep Ron Artest from freaking out.

:dunno:

Archived