I am now on the Chuck Person Bandwagon

Droxside

None of the people I have listed are being considered so I have looked at the people who are and my choice is Chuck Person. I just read the scarbinsky article and the high praise coming from some quality NBA guys is striking. He is an Auburn man through and through and has the passion that it takes to succeed and will do it the right way...If we cannot have Scott Drew then I am all for Chuck Person...Here is a link to the article...

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/scarbinsky_auburn_smart_to_tar.html

I'm almost sure that a position held by a state employee that pay's close to 200k (that's how much he would get from the state), you have to have a college degree. 

I'm almost sure that a position held by a state employee that pay's close to 200k (that's how much he would get from the state), you have to have a college degree. 

I keep hearing that, but the article I list says nothing about it...

I cannot believe that Scott Drew is not be considered!! Just look at the job the man has done with the Baylor program. I do not believe for one second that AU could not get him. With the money that people are talking about that AU is willing to put up for a coach, I believe that we could get him. If I were JJ I would wait it out and test the interest that Drew and Anderson have in the job. I hope Baylor wins it all!! If Drew isn't interested, move on, but give him the first chance to turn it down.

I do not believe that we will hire Tubby Smith. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I am glad that the T. Barbee love fest has cooled. It was beginning to remind me of the Turner Gill bandwagon senario.  :laugh:

I hope UK and UThug lose the very next time that they play!!!

:we:

Or be working toward it as Chuck is. I heard it on Sportscall the other day. The Auburn swimming coach does not have his degree but is working towards it.

I cannot believe that Scott Drew is not be considered!! Just look at the job the man has done with the Baylor program. I do not believe for one second that AU could not get him. With the money that people are talking about that AU is willing to put up for a coach, I believe that we could get him. If I were JJ I would wait it out and test the interest that Drew and Anderson have in the job. I hope Baylor wins it all!! If Drew isn't interested, move on, but give him the first chance to turn it down.

I do not believe that we will hire Tubby Smith. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I am glad that the T. Barbee love fest has cooled. It was beginning to remind me of the Turner Gill bandwagon senario.  :laugh:

I hope UK and UThug lose the very next time that they play!!!

I do not get it either. If you look at what he did with a program that was basically dead with all the problems and restrictions they had and see what he did, he is easily the best choice in my opinion. He comes from a strong basketball family and is flat out a winner. Makes no sense to me...  

Or be working toward it as Chuck is. I heard it on Sportscall the other day. The Auburn swimming coach does not have his degree but is working towards it.

That would work. The more I read Of Person the more I think he would be a great choice. I prefer him over Tubby Smith by a long shot.

I do not get it either. If you look at what he did with a program that was basically dead with all the problems and restrictions they had and see what he did, he is easily the best choice in my opinion. He comes from a strong basketball family and is flat out a winner. Makes no sense to me... 

I believe that the reason that he is not being considered could be, dare I say it, he is white.  :-X I believe that Auburn is determined to hire a minority coach this time. They are tired of the brow beating that they got when they hired Chizik over T. Gill and they don't want to go throught that again. Don't get me wrong, I believe that Mike Anderson should have been hired the last time. That is pretty obvious now. Hire the best Coach that is available, if that be Tubby, Mike Anderson, Chuck Person, Scott Drew, etc. so be it. IMO the best coach is Scott Drew, find out if he is available and if he is hire him. If he's not available, hire someone else on the list. In the long run, I will support the coach that is hired and wish him the best. This is a Very Important hire for the future of the program.

I believe that the reason that he is not being considered could be, dare I say it, he is white.  :-X I believe that Auburn is determined to hire a minority coach this time. They are tired of the brow beating that they got when they hired Chizik over T. Gill and they don't want to go throught that again. Don't get me wrong, I believe that Mike Anderson should have been hired the last time. That is pretty obvious now. Hire the best Coach that is available, if that be Tubby, Mike Anderson, Chuck Person, Scott Drew, etc. so be it. IMO the best coach is Scott Drew, find out if he is available and if he is hire him. If he's not available, hire someone else on the list. In the long run, I will support the coach that is hired and wish him the best. This is a Very Important hire for the future of the program.

Well said...I agree with everything that you said...

This is from the Scarbinsky article...

Auburn is smart enough to consider several options. One of them appears to be Chuck Person.

His candidacy is the most intriguing because most observers seem to know the least about him, beyond his stature as perhaps Auburn’s all-time greatest player.

Person enjoyed a long and distinguished career as an NBA player, too. Since his retirement, he’s worked with four different NBA clubs as everything from associate to the head coach to assistant to the president to assistant coach and defensive coordinator.

Beyond the titles, Person has become one of the most respected men in the NBA.

Don’t just take my word for it. Listen to Dallas Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle, who’s known Person for 20 years, dating to their playing days.

“He has all the tools to be a high-impact coach at any level,” Carlisle told me. “He’d be a great hire for Auburn if they could pull it off.”

Donnie Walsh, the president of the New York Knicks, worked with Person with the Indiana Pacers. I asked Walsh if he would recommend Person for the job if Auburn called.

“Oh, yes,” Walsh said. “I’ve recommended him (for head coaching jobs) in the NBA.”

Person was a finalist for the Chicago Bulls job in 2008, which went to Vinny Del Negro.

This season, Person joined the world champion Lakers as an assistant coach. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told me it speaks volumes about Person that head coach Phil Jackson added him to a veteran staff.

“If they didn’t think he could bring something to the table, they wouldn’t have invited him into the group,” Kupchak said.

What would Person bring to the table as the Auburn head coach?

“He’s not a PR guy,” Kupchak said. “It’s not smoke and mirrors with him. He’s got substance. I can envision him in front of a family (on a recruiting visit) being very sincere and honest.”

Carlisle noted that even though Person has been in the NBA, he’s worked with several players who made the jump straight from high school, including Jermaine O’Neal, Jonathan Bender and Al Harrington.

“He’d be great in that (recruiting) environment,” Carlisle said. “Even better, he’d be great at cultivating young men out of high school and turning them into terrific people and terrific players.”

Bottom line: Some of the biggest movers and shakers in the NBA believe the 45-year-old Person has a bright future as a head coach.

“In college or the NBA,” Walsh said.

Kupchak said the Lakers “would be very disappointed if Chuck didn’t come back next year, but we always encourage our guys if they can take a step up to become a head coach.”

Carlisle’s take: “He would get the job done. I don’t have any question. There’s no one out there that would outwork him. There’s no one out there that has his ties to the university and his career credentials that would even compare.”

Sounds like the man for the job...

No degree required. Link:

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/03/does_a_basketball_coach_really.html

As far as Scott Drew not being considered: Where did this information come from? Did JJ post on his facebook and say Drew has been eliminated? No? Ok then, Scott Drew is just as likely (or unlikely) to be under consideration as Tubby Smith, Chuck Person, or anybody else.

Chuck should not be in the same conversation with Tubby Smith.  Or Scott Drew or Mike Anderson or even Barbee.  I suppose I would prefer Chuck over the Brownell guy mentioned, but that is about it so far based on the names being thrown out.

wde

That would work. The more I read Of Person the more I think he would be a great choice. I prefer him over Tubby Smith by a long shot.

You prefer a man who has never held a head coaching position at any level over a guy who has won consistently everywhere he has been?  Really?  I love Person as much as anyone, but to prefer him over someone with a proven track record like Tubby just doesn't make sense.

I appreciate all the praise for Person from the many NBA people, but all of them know him personally...would they really say something bad about him, or not build him up for a job he wants? ( If someone asked you about one of your friends concerning a prospective job, wouldn't you say plenty of nice things about them?)

For me personally, if the new head coach is not Tubby or Anderson...I will be disappointed.  I will support whoever we get, but that's not to say I won't be disappointed that we didn't get one of those two.

:dunno:

You prefer a man who has never held a head coaching position at any level over a guy who has won consistently everywhere he has been?  Really?  I love Person as much as anyone, but to prefer him over someone with a proven track record like Tubby just doesn't make sense.

I appreciate all the praise for Person from the many NBA people, but all of them know him personally...would they really say something bad about him, or not build him up for a job he wants? ( If someone asked you about one of your friends concerning a prospective job, wouldn't you say plenty of nice things about them?)

For me personally, if the new head coach is not Tubby or Anderson...I will be disappointed.  I will support whoever we get, but that's not to say I won't be disappointed that we didn't get one of those two.

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

DING

This is from the Scarbinsky article...

Auburn is smart enough to consider several options. One of them appears to be Chuck Person.

His candidacy is the most intriguing because most observers seem to know the least about him, beyond his stature as perhaps Auburn’s all-time greatest player.

Person enjoyed a long and distinguished career as an NBA player, too. Since his retirement, he’s worked with four different NBA clubs as everything from associate to the head coach to assistant to the president to assistant coach and defensive coordinator.

Beyond the titles, Person has become one of the most respected men in the NBA.

Don’t just take my word for it. Listen to Dallas Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle, who’s known Person for 20 years, dating to their playing days.

“He has all the tools to be a high-impact coach at any level,” Carlisle told me. “He’d be a great hire for Auburn if they could pull it off.”

Donnie Walsh, the president of the New York Knicks, worked with Person with the Indiana Pacers. I asked Walsh if he would recommend Person for the job if Auburn called.

“Oh, yes,” Walsh said. “I’ve recommended him (for head coaching jobs) in the NBA.”

Person was a finalist for the Chicago Bulls job in 2008, which went to Vinny Del Negro.

This season, Person joined the world champion Lakers as an assistant coach. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told me it speaks volumes about Person that head coach Phil Jackson added him to a veteran staff.

“If they didn’t think he could bring something to the table, they wouldn’t have invited him into the group,” Kupchak said.

What would Person bring to the table as the Auburn head coach?

“He’s not a PR guy,” Kupchak said. “It’s not smoke and mirrors with him. He’s got substance. I can envision him in front of a family (on a recruiting visit) being very sincere and honest.”

Carlisle noted that even though Person has been in the NBA, he’s worked with several players who made the jump straight from high school, including Jermaine O’Neal, Jonathan Bender and Al Harrington.

“He’d be great in that (recruiting) environment,” Carlisle said. “Even better, he’d be great at cultivating young men out of high school and turning them into terrific people and terrific players.”

Bottom line: Some of the biggest movers and shakers in the NBA believe the 45-year-old Person has a bright future as a head coach.

“In college or the NBA,” Walsh said.

Kupchak said the Lakers “would be very disappointed if Chuck didn’t come back next year, but we always encourage our guys if they can take a step up to become a head coach.”

Carlisle’s take: “He would get the job done. I don’t have any question. There’s no one out there that would outwork him. There’s no one out there that has his ties to the university and his career credentials that would even compare.”

Sounds like the man for the job...

You forgot to put this part of the article in with your quoting of it:

It’s hard to compare Smith and Person because one has won a national title and one has yet to become a head coach.

If you are going to use the article to further your point, at least use all of it.

Chuck Person is my favorite AU BB player.  He is also an outstanding man.  But Auburn needs a proven winner.  We are about to enter a $90 million facility and we cannot afford to repeat past mistakes.  Make no mistake about it Auburn is at the crossroads where our BB program is concerned.  Can Person be as a good a coach as anyone out there?  He may very well can.  But we cannot afford to hire an unknown and just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Chuck Person is my favorite AU BB player.  He is also an outstanding man.  But Auburn needs a proven winner.  We are about to enter a $90 million facility and we cannot afford to repeat past mistakes.  Make no mistake about it Auburn is at the crossroads where our BB program is concerned.  Can Person be as a good a coach as anyone out there?  He may very well can.  But we cannot afford to hire an unknown and just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

DING-DING-DING!!!!  We have a winner!!!!

Can we please now put to rest the "doesn't have a degree, can't be HC" thing? Does everyone understand you (for right or wrong) don't have to be a college graduate to be the Head Coach? Man, that is getting old!

Can we please now put to rest the "doesn't have a degree, can't be HC" thing? Does everyone understand you (for right or wrong) don't have to be a college graduate to be the Head Coach? Man, that is getting old!

I am not disagreeing with you but do you have an official link that states that? 

Degree or not, do you want a man to be the Head Coach at Auburn who has never been a Head Coach at any level and has never been more than a third or fourth seat NBA Coach?  I personally want a proven college Head Coach or at least an assistant at a successful major college program. 

I am not disagreeing with you but do you have an official link that states that? 

Degree or not, do you want a man to be the Head Coach at Auburn who has never been a Head Coach at any level and has never been more than a third or fourth seat NBA Coach?  I personally want a proven college Head Coach or at least an assistant at a successful major college program.   

I will try to find something, although other people have posted various links on here showing there is no NCAA rule. It is mostly due to the fact no one can provide any evidence whatsoever that it IS a requirement, and there have been many opportunites to do so. Also, just for the record, no where in my post did I say I wanted Chuck as HC, just talking about the degree thing. WDE.

I don't care if its a rule......how can you, as a coach, preach to kids about getting their degree if you don't have one yourself? 

Think about the state of college basketball these days, if you are recruiting the right players to build a championship caliber team, they are not interested in a degree.  The best are one and done and some are two and done.  The rest are the ones who keep you out of the NCAA doghouse by staying four years and graduating but don't contribute much on the court.  That is the state of college basketball today. 

Here it is again. Link:

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/03/does_a_basketball_coach_really.html

As far as "official link" no, there is no official link and also, no way to prove a negative.  In civilized (non-internet) debate, the burden of proof is on the person that claims there is such a requirement, since, as noted, a negative can't be proved. The closest to proof is that Brett Hawke, the head swimming coach, does not have a degree.

Now, Basketball recruiting is different from other sports. Every, and I mean EVERY D-1 prospect expects to play in the NBA. I did not say hopes to play or dreams of playing, they EXPECT to play. They'd much rather play for a Chuck Person or Sam Mitchell, with proven NBA ties than somebody that's never been there. A college degree is something that might come up if they get in a auto accident and become paralyzed.Otherwise, NBA is what they are thinking.

And Chuck person has, among other things, been defensive Coordinator for two different NBA teams. Like in football, DC is an important job.

Archived