AUGYM - Thompsons are moving on

AUTigerMom62

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is a perfect example of how to respectfully discuss and argue points on a subject. Where have you ladies been? I'll have to admit, I am lost as a ball in high weeds when it comes to gymnastics, but because of the knowledge of the ladies in this thread, I know more now than when I first started reading about it. Well done ladies and keep bringing it!!! CLASSY THREAD!!!! WDE!!!!!!!

This thread is a perfect example of how to respectfully discuss and argue points on a subject. Where have you ladies been? I'll have to admit, I am lost as a ball in high weeds when it comes to gymnastics, but because of the knowledge of the ladies in this thread, I know more now than when I first started reading about it. Well done ladies and keep bringing it!!! CLASSY THREAD!!!! WDE!!!!!!!

Thanks Weegle!  I've been here... I've posted mostly in the football threads.. This is the first discussion that has really taken hold on gymnastics.  Gymnastics is our family's first love and the reason my daughter went to Auburn.  The potential for AUGYM is limitless if we make the right hire.  I haven't looked at attendance figures for the other women's sports on campus but my guess is AUGYM is either at the top or close to it. 

We have a couple of really strong recruits for next year and I hope we are continuing to romance them.  I would hate to see them unverbal and go somewhere else.  Our incoming class, which is really good too, arrives on campus in a couple of weeks and it would be great for them to have things already figured out. 

Anyway, it's been great debating the potential hires and I look forward to us celebrating the new hire soon!

WDE!!!

:wareagle:

What would be a guess as to the timetable of hiring a new coach? I would thing very soon since classes start in a few weeks.

The first 2 interviews are next Monday and Tuesday.  There may be a 3rd after the first 2 but not sure about that one.

What would be a guess as to the timetable of hiring a new coach? I would thing very soon since classes start in a few weeks.

The first 2 interviews are next Monday and Tuesday.  There may be a 3rd after the first 2 but not sure about that one.

Thanks coach

Fantastic!

Any hints on who?   ;)  Seriously though that is fantastic news!

WDE!!

I have all the confidence in the world in AD Jacobs. He will make a great hire.

Is Jacobs heading up this search, or is it Associate AD Mines?

I've heard that Jeff Graba and Danna Durante have interviews scheduled, but don't know about who after that.  Whoever is hired will have to begin really soon, but I hope the fact that school starts soon doesn't make for a hasty process.

I've heard that Jeff Graba and Danna Durante have interviews scheduled, but don't know about who after that.  Whoever is hired will have to begin really soon, but I hope the fact that school starts soon doesn't make for a hasty process.

Those are the names I've heard as well.  Great Candidates!

WDE!

You have some very good sources I think.

Well I'm impressed. Glad to see we have some inside info on AU gymnastics.

The Gymnastics community is very small.  Doesn't take long for word to get out.  Sometimes the info doesn't even come from the inside.  Either way I'm excited!

I'm sorry, I just thought that Jacobs made all of the coaching hires. Shows how much I know!! I do hope we get a top notch coach, we need all of our sports to do well at Auburn! WDE!!!!!!!

I'm still impressed. Good job in keeping us updated.

Seeing this much interest in an AU sport other than football, baseball or basketball is wonderful. I`m not up to date always on the ins and outs of gymnastics anymore since my girls are grown but watching or reading the sharing and give and take on here about the coaching search is great. Over the years I have attended at least one event, game, or match of every sport at Auburn. The spirit even for the so called non-revenue sports is amazing.

WDE

This has been a really solid thread on a subject I know nothing about.  And, I will have to rely on AE to keep me up-to-date on the progress of the gymnastics program, because I'm not allowed to watch it on the tube.  Is there anyway the ladies could dress in a crocker sack, or something?  jk

Here's hoping the week brings the announcement of an EXCELLENT hire!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I think someone will be hired this week.  Graba and Durante have interviews, and maybe Raschilla does as well.  All the interviews should be done by Wednesday from what I hear, whether they interview 3 candidates or only 2.

Here's hoping the week brings the announcement of an EXCELLENT hire!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I think someone will be hired this week.  Graba and Durante have interviews, and maybe Raschilla does as well.  All the interviews should be done by Wednesday from what I hear, whether they interview 3 candidates or only 2.

Well I hope they interview all three.  My order of preference would be: Raschilla, Durante and then Graba.  Maybe I will email the Athletic dept and let them know these are my wishes.. haha.. think they will grant them? ;D

How many assistants are allowed in the gymnastics?

I do not believe there is a mandate or limit on the number of asst coaches.  But typically it seems like most schools have a head coach and then two assistants on the payroll.  Sometimes there are volunteer coaches.. which usually are graduated former team members.  So in our case I believe we are in the hunt for a head coach and then an assist coach. 

It's so quiet on the plains.. wish we had some updated information.  :)

I do not believe there is a mandate or limit on the number of asst coaches.  But typically it seems like most schools have a head coach and then two assistants on the payroll.  Sometimes there are volunteer coaches.. which usually are graduated former team members.  So in our case I believe we are in the hunt for a head coach and then an assist coach. 

Depending on who is hired, I would think that current assistant Kurt Hettinger would have a chance to join the new staff.  I would guess the odds of him remaining on staff would be higher if Danna Durante is hired (since she would need 2 asssistants, one of them being a male who can coach bars).

Depending on who is hired, I would think that current assistant Kurt Hettinger would have a chance to join the new staff.  I would guess the odds of him remaining on staff would be higher if Danna Durante is hired (since she would need 2 asssistants, one of them being a male who can coach bars).

Well now I'm going to show how dumb I am. Why does a male have to coach bars? You can stop laughing now and give me hint.

Well now I'm going to show how dumb I am. Why does a male have to coach bars? You can stop laughing now and give me hint.

Right I was assuming Kurt would be staying on.. hoping anyway. 

It's very hard for a women to coach bars.. not unheard of.. but its requires a certain amount of strength and height.  And for a female coach the girls they are spotting are generally the same weight and height - so it's a plus to have a male coach for spotting bars and most times vault.  They also assist with spotting tumbling on the floor.

Archived