violence in Lee County

autigger

I know that there has always been crime commited in our county but its always been kept on the hush hush as not to scare off prospective students but lately Lee County is getting a violent rap. The 3rd shooting in a week whats up people. First it was the stand off in Opelika between 2 police officers and a gunman thatr resulted in the critical condition of a police officer and a dead gunman, then it was the man found shot to death on on Slaughter Ave. and now an University Employee killed.....wsfa

I agree i live a mile from slaughter Ave.....its kinda scarey.....thats where i go to vote....

Yesterday....high school student stabbed at Northridge High in Tuscaloosa.

Yeah when I was in highschool we had two guys get shot...one killed...in Mountain Brook.

Stuff happens everywhere.

Any time you get alot of people in an urban area, it is inevitable there will be crime. It's a sad statement on society but people are for the most part crazy. All over the world not just in AL, or USA, Everywhere. If more responsible laws would summarily execute murderers, crime rates of this type would surely decline.

Yep, when all the gang bangers,thugs and/ or junkies are gettin executed for their murdering, the ones that are living, and free, will think twice about pullin the trigger.

Yep, when all the gang bangers,thugs and/ or junkies are gettin executed for their murdering, the ones that are living, and free, will think twice about pullin the trigger.

Wrong...If you think the death penalty deters murder, then you must also admit that it doesn't do a very good job of that. The death penalty exists only to inadequately fulfill its' advocates desire for vengeance.

Wrong...If you think the death penalty deters murder, then you must also admit that it doesn't do a very good job of that. The death penalty exists only to inadequately fulfill its' advocates desire for vengeance.

before we make judgment calls on whether or not the death penalty is an effective deterrent, it should be given an adequate chance to work. currently it isn't.

yet, as BS states, it 100% adequately deters each recipient from doing it again.

further, deterrence isn't the only goal is it? isn't punishment one of the reasons for it as well?

Its cheaper to kill them (and some would say more humane) than to put them in a pen and feed them for 40 years. That money could be used for more welfare. ;)

It's also cheaper to have an abortion, but, that doesn't make it the right thing to do. However, doing the right thing is hardly ever the easiest or cheapest option to exercise. If it were, there would be little worth in being virtuous as it would be very common.

Completely off topic.......

If you have never read this thread, it is quite humorous just to skip to page 2 or this thread. I expected to see stuff about violence in Lee County!! Geez, what a moron I am!!

before we make judgment calls on whether or not the death penalty is an effective deterrent, it should be given an adequate chance to work.  currently it isn't.

yet, as BS states, it 100% adequately deters each recipient from doing it again.

further, deterrence isn't the only goal is it?  isn't punishment one of the reasons for it as well?

The death penalty was reinstated in 1976. In 1976 there were 420 inmates on death row and in 2002 there were 3,692. In those 27 years, 859 people have been executed. How has it not had an adequate chance to work?

Texas, our most 'execution happy' state has over 300 people on death row at an estimated cost of 2.3 million dollars per case. That's about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million. It costs six times more to execute a person in Florida than to incarcerate a prisoner for life with no parole. The death penalty provides very little bang for the buck compared with life imprisonment.

As for punishment, why is life in prison not considered punishment?

It's also cheaper to have an abortion, but, that doesn't make it the right thing to do. However, doing the right thing is hardly ever the easiest or cheapest option to exercise. If it were, there would be little worth in being virtuous as it would be very common.

So you are equating the "rights" of Charles Manson to an unborn baby... :roll:

So you are equating the "rights" of Charles Manson to an unborn baby... :roll:

Your comment dealt with the financial costs of capitol punishment vs. lifetime incarceration, not constitutional rights. If you want to assess the correct course of action regarding social questions based solely on monetary costs, then the cheapest solution would always be the 'correct' solution.

The answer to your question would probably be, technically, yes, I think that Charles Manson DOES have more rights than an unborn baby. Maybe one of our attorneys could give a more educated and insightful answer, though.

Charles Manson DOES have more rights than an unborn baby.

Typical of liberals. You'd rather support "human rights" than look after the unborn. You'd rather worry about the extinction of species in the amazon than worry about the murder of children. You'd rather worry about legal question marks than concern yourself with the well being of thousands of people being tortured across the globe.

before we make judgment calls on whether or not the death penalty is an effective deterrent, it should be given an adequate chance to work.  currently it isn't.

further, deterrence isn't the only goal is it?  isn't punishment one of the reasons for it as well?

The death penalty was reinstated in 1976. In 1976 there were 420 inmates on death row and in 2002 there were 3,692. In those 27 years, 859 people have been executed. How has it not had an adequate chance to work?

Texas, our most 'execution happy' state has over 300 people on death row at an estimated cost of 2.3 million dollars per case. That's about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million. It costs six times more to execute a person in Florida than to incarcerate a prisoner for life with no parole. The death penalty provides very little bang for the buck compared with life imprisonment.

As for punishment, why is life in prison not considered punishment?

Because life in prison is NOT what the victim got. They got NO life at all. Also, the prisoner is not being punished, he is doing nothing. Now, crushing big rocks into litlle ones all day long every day might be better. but you and your kind would call that cruel. Just like all good little libs, you will maintain this position until one of your loved ones are involved. then you'll want to kill them all. Same old story, same old victim.

Fry'em early and fry'em often. If you make a few mistakes along the way.....

Bet ya they weren't arrested out of Wednesday night prayer meeting.

Charles Manson DOES have more rights than an unborn baby.

Typical of liberals. You'd rather support "human rights" than look after the unborn. You'd rather worry about the extinction of species in the amazon than worry about the murder of children. You'd rather worry about legal question marks than concern yourself with the well being of thousands of people being tortured across the globe.

Typical of AURainman. You take a fragmented 10 words out of a 23 word sentence so you can twist its' intentional meaning into your anti-liberal rant. That's dishonest, lazy and cheap. Young man, if you aren't able to argue the opinions, as they are clearly written by the author, then you should read only.

How did I twist what you wrote? I was simply highlighting what you wrote. Maybe I misunderstood you. You said, technically I think Manson should have more rights than an unborn child. That offends me greatly. I know you value life. You have to. I have met you before and know you are a good person. I did not aim that post directly at you, but rather indirectly. I was speaking of the stereotypical liberal.

Allowing technicalities to get in the way of common sense seems to be the crusade of most liberals. Legally does Manson have more rights than an unborn child. Technically yes. Does it follow any course of logic? No.

Archived