GOP congressman retires

TexasTiger

U.S. Rep. Ed Schrock

The Virginian-Pilot

© August 30, 2004 | Last updated 8:51 PM Aug. 30

VIRGINIA BEACH -- U.S. Rep. Ed Schrock abruptly withdrew from his re-election race this afternoon, citing unspecified allegations.

Over the past two weeks, a Washington-based Web site has spread claims that Schrock was gay, despite having voted against gay-rights issues such as marriage.

"In recent weeks, allegations have surfaced that have called into question my ability to represent the citizens of Virginia's Second Congressional Distict," Shrock said in a press release.

Schrock, who would have been seeking his third term, did not elaborate on the nature of the allegations.

"After much thought and prayer, I have come to the realization that these allegations will not allow my campaign to focus on the real issues facing our nation and region," the statement said. "Therefore, as of today, I am stepping aside and will no longer be the Republican nominee for Congress in Virginia's Second Congressional District.

"Words cannot express the gratitude I have for all of the people who have entusted me to be their representative and have shown unwavering support. Together, we have accomplished so much for the people of Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore," the statement said.

"Although I am retiring from Congress, I still look forward to working within our community to make it stronger and an even better place to live and work," the statement said.

The allegations emerged two weeks ago, on Aug. 19, when a Web site called blogACTIVE.com posted claims that Schrock was gay, and accused Schrock of being a hypocrite for opposing gay rights issues.

The Web site – a one-man operation out of Washington that focuses on gay issues – has a history of “outing” gay members of Congress.

The site did not offer any proof of its allegation that Schrock was gay.

The Web site urged readers to write to Schrock and “let this congressional hypocrite know how you feel.”

In the two weeks that followed, Schrock repeatedly declined to comment on the accusations – neither confirming nor denying them.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...4982&ran=126361

Typical... We live in Jerry Springer's America now. You dont actually have to do anything, all you have to be is accused and therefore you are guilty. Schrock maybe be guilty. But there so far has been no proof offered, just smear away for political edge.

Typical... We live in Jerry pringer's America now. You dont actually have to do anything, all you have top be is accused and therefore you are guilty. Schrock maybe be guilty. But there so far has been no proof offered, just smear away for political edge.

They actually have tapes of him leaving a message of what he's looking for. He resigned for some reason. Stay tuned.

Typical... We live in Jerry pringer's America now. You dont actually have to do anything, all you have top be is accused and therefore you are guilty. Schrock maybe be guilty. But there so far has been no proof offered, just smear away for political edge.

They actually have tapes of him leaving a message of what he's looking for. He resigned for some reason. Stay tuned.

Shhh...David doesn't know that republicans fall prey to sexual indiscretions, too. :ph34r:

...posted claims that Schrock was gay, and accused Schrock of being a hypocrite for opposing gay rights issues.

let's say he's gay.

why would he be branded a hypocrite for opposing gay rights issues.

maybe he actually doesn't believe gays should be receive any more special protection under the law than already provided to everybody.

do all gays have to think alike? believe the same thing?

"those people" don't seem very tolerant of diverse ideas.

further, it's interesting that the "outer" would supposedly seek to damage someone professionally by using that person's 'gayness' as the tool, and in doing so, allow the perception (AMONG SOME PEOPLE) that gays can't serve adequately to be advanced.

i can hear it now: 'why did that guy resign his position, daddy?'... 'because he's gay, son...'

seems counterproductive to me, but hey, what do i know.

ct

...posted claims that Schrock was gay, and accused Schrock of being a hypocrite for opposing gay rights issues.

let's say he's gay.

why would he be branded a hypocrite for opposing gay rights issues.

maybe he actually doesn't believe gays should be receive any more special protection under the law than already provided to everybody.

do all gays have to think alike? believe the same thing?

"those people" don't seem very tolerant of diverse ideas.

further, it's interesting that the "outer" would supposedly seek to damage someone professionally by using that person's 'gayness' as the tool, and in doing so, allow the perception (AMONG SOME PEOPLE) that gays can't serve adequately to be advanced.

i can hear it now: 'why did that guy resign his position, daddy?'... 'because he's gay, son...'

seems counterproductive to me, but hey, what do i know.

ct

Other Republicans have been outed and continue to serve. If its true, perhaps he didn't think his particular district (Pat Robertson is there) would go for it.

I personally don't favor "outing". I suspect many conservative gay people believe that being gay is "wrong" and may engage in some denial and self-loathing. Who knows what is going on inside him. Perceptions of gay people are largely generational. I doubt this will be a major step back regarding acceptance.

What exactly are you referring to?

the article mentioned he was being accused of being a hypocrite because he opposed gay rights issues.

i just stated that opposition in the manner you've quoted above...it may not be an apt depiction of what he opposed, however.

ct

Just quoted from the article linked. If there are tapes, so be it. At least he didnt pull a Clinton when caught with his drawers down and blame a VLWC. ;)

What exactly are you referring to?

A gay person being against special protection for gays is to me the same as a black person being against affirmative action - just because you "are" one doesn't mean you have to believe you deserve special treatment.

I turned down an excellent job with the US Marshal's Office because I found out I was only being hired because I was female. I'll earn my own way, thnak you very much.

Besides, as a female comic said last night - "Stupid feminists. If it weren't for those bitches, I'd be sitting my ass at home on the couch right now, resting!" :lol:

Archived