Alabama's economy ranked 46th overall

RunInRed

Great job Governor Bentley and GOP state congress, that's some real progress we're making :rolleyes: ...

A recent ranking still put the state near the bottom for the worst state economies.

Business Insider compiled the list, ranking Alabama's economy 46th overall. The report cited Alabama's 2013 GDP per capita, $37,389, which is well below the state average of $48,183.

The housing market was also used to determine Alabama's ranking, with prices increasing by 1.64 percent year-over-year from Q3 2013 to Q3 2014.

The state's manufacturing sector reportedly employs a larger share of the state's population than any other U.S. state. This is compounded by other factors that show a state in dire need of improvement.

We previously reported that Alabama was ranked as the second worst state for quality of life, with factors including employment, homicide rates, voter turnout and household disposable income per capita.

Additionally, Alabama residents, on the whole, also do not seem happy, according to the most recent Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index for 2014. The Index ranked Alabama 45th overall for the well-being of its citizens and 45th for financial well-being.

The state's myriad problems could be a result of bad leadership, another sector where Alabama ranks near the bottom.

We recently reported on an analysis by 24/7 Wall St., which ranked Alabama as the 10th worst run state, with 10 percent of households in Alabama earning less than $10,000 a year in 2013 and 19 percent of the state population living under the poverty line.

The gender pay gap in Alabama also has a negative effect on the state's economy, ranking 31st nationally, with men in Alabama making $10,462 more annually than their female counterparts.

http://www.bizjourna...th-overall.html

Oh the joys of red-state-living.

Forgot to mention, if you follow the link to the source article from Business Insider, the feature image ...

46-alabama.jpg

Forgot to mention, if you follow the link to the source article from Business Insider, the feature image ...

46-alabama.jpg

The main reason the economy stinks in Alabama.

46-alabama.jpg

Something we all can agree on!

46-alabama.jpg

Something we all can agree on!

It's an anchor stuck 6 ft. in the muck with no help from the engine house. ;)

46-alabama.jpg

And there you have it.

Great job Governor Bentley and GOP state congress, that's some real progress we're making :rolleyes: ...

A recent ranking still put the state near the bottom for the worst state economies.

Business Insider compiled the list, ranking Alabama's economy 46th overall. The report cited Alabama's 2013 GDP per capita, $37,389, which is well below the state average of $48,183.

The housing market was also used to determine Alabama's ranking, with prices increasing by 1.64 percent year-over-year from Q3 2013 to Q3 2014.

The state's manufacturing sector reportedly employs a larger share of the state's population than any other U.S. state. This is compounded by other factors that show a state in dire need of improvement.

We previously reported that Alabama was ranked as the second worst state for quality of life, with factors including employment, homicide rates, voter turnout and household disposable income per capita.

Additionally, Alabama residents, on the whole, also do not seem happy, according to the most recent Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index for 2014. The Index ranked Alabama 45th overall for the well-being of its citizens and 45th for financial well-being.

The state's myriad problems could be a result of bad leadership, another sector where Alabama ranks near the bottom.

We recently reported on an analysis by 24/7 Wall St., which ranked Alabama as the 10th worst run state, with 10 percent of households in Alabama earning less than $10,000 a year in 2013 and 19 percent of the state population living under the poverty line.

The gender pay gap in Alabama also has a negative effect on the state's economy, ranking 31st nationally, with men in Alabama making $10,462 more annually than their female counterparts.

Rob, in reality we were no better when the Democrats ran everything in Alabama.

The real problem is that we are a one party state then and now.

Rob, in reality we were no better when the Democrats ran everything in Alabama.

The real problem is that we are a one party state then and now.

Ding, ding, ding! All 7's. Jackpot.

Clinton killed Textiles in Alabama, and the rest of the U.S., with nafta. That equals Many-many thousands of jobs....carry on

I more rib the AL GOP for their mantra of jobs jobs jobs and no new taxes ... the results don't fit the red meat they continue to feed the blindly following masses.

DKW - GOP has had state in a strangle hold for quite some time ... the buck has to stop somewhere.

It's been over 30 years since I lived in AL. I see that the saying we had back then, "thank God for Mississippi!" hasn't changed!

sad but very true.......

I more rib the AL GOP for their mantra of jobs jobs jobs and no new taxes ... the results don't fit the red meat they continue to feed the blindly following masses.

DKW - GOP has had state in a strangle hold for quite some time ... the buck has to stop somewhere.

Rob, if i thought i could find enough people here to launch a valid Independent Party, or could help rebuild the ADP, i would join in.

When the entire state is run by one party, be it either Dem or Republican, we all lose. We no longer even have a debate or discussion about what is right in Alabama.

Bentley wont even talk about an education lottery. Yet Alabama sends $100Ms to neighboring states.

The ADP is not even replying anymore they are so woefully disorganized and so horribly lead.

The LIA, Left In Alabama, openly mocks the ADP leadership as incompetent.

Clinton killed Textiles in Alabama, and the rest of the U.S., with nafta. That equals Many-many thousands of jobs....carry on

Oh I just love when people oppose NAFTA. Free trade not your thing?

What's wrong with 46th? Now, if we could get another million or so to go elsewhere we might slip to 50th and there'd be some peace and quiet around here!

Seriously, I can't think of a single time in the past decades when I'd have been better off with a booming economy. Anybody that likes smokestacks, 12 lane freeways and industrial noise can move to Ohio or Texas.

On the gender gap thing, I've never seen anything that convinces me that it's a problem. Compare apples to apples and then we'll talk. Show me where, oh say, female graduates from AU's School of Forestry with five years experience make $10,000 per year less than male forestry graduates with five years experience and there could be a discussion. Show me where male hotel room maids make $10,000 more than female room cleaners and there's a problem. As long as the genders are filling different jobs and working for different lengths of time, saying "women make less than men" is a meaningless statement.

Remember when somebody pointed out the gender pay gap in Obama's whitehouse? The excuse (sound in this case) was that the maids and tour guides were almost exclusively female while positions that required more responsibility and experience were pretty much balanced between male and female. Yet statistically, the pay gap is there. It's only meaningful when people holding the same positions with equal experience are getting paid differently and nobody has ever shown that to be the case except in isolated incidents.

Archived