Letter to the Editor: Former AU head football coach Pat Dye weighs in on lottery & gaming bill

autigeremt

I've nothing against gambling & such. The claims of $ raised & jobs created often SEEM to fall short, but there's no denying it can help. The poor & lower income folks do waste much of their limited resources, but that's their choice.

I'd rather have the opportunity to not gamble by MY choice than have some overpaid do-gooders decide for me.

Private enterprize should run a lottery. Goverment cant do nuthin rite. Pivitize all them schools and lotteries and liquer stores and such. Everthing else is just sociolism.

Private enterprize should run a lottery. Goverment cant do nuthin rite. Pivitize all them schools and lotteries and liquer stores and such. Everthing else is just sociolism.

I'll take over the liquor stores......:)

I'm all in favor of allowing gaming and/or a lottery. I have questions as to whether that alone is sufficient to solve the state's fiscal crisis, however every extra penny helps. (Also, seems pretty obvious to me that Poarch Creek Indian loan offer was mostly an attempt to keep the state out of the gaming business to preserve their in-state monopoly.)

Glad to see Coach Dye voicing his opinion in such a clear, logical manner. I love him, but he doesn't always come across quite so coherently when addressing the media. :rolleyes:

the two biggest problems are the poor gambling their money away in the lottery and that some lotteries are poorly managed resulting in the state get little revenue.

The strongest point is that the surrounding states all have lotteries and people from alabama travel there to gamble and spend more money there.

If the state allows this it should be efficiently managed so the state gets as much money as possible.

He does when he's sober !

J/K

Funny. I thought I could hear the faint clinking of ice cubes in a highball glass somewhere off in the distance while reading that.

The state clearly needs more money. And merely "trimming the fat" is not an answer. State agencies and education has been trimming the fat for years in response to past budget shortfalls; there's only so much fat that can be trimmed. Raising taxes is also a political "No go" in this state.

So what other source is there except gambling? As I said earlier, my biggest concern is that gambling may not provide all the revenue we need. I honestly believe we will live with such budget shortfalls until such time as we completely revise our tax system (or the entire state constitution, actually) and decide to fund things like education, public safety, highway/infrastructure, etc. at the level necessary to do those jobs adequately.

I'd be in favor of a modest tax increase coupled with the allowance of a lottery and gaming. Let the people choose if they want to play or not.

Hurts the poorest in Society...

So does a broke state government.

Let the poorest figure it out on their own then. Give them the choice while also keeping the state on it's feet. The State of Alabama is up the creek and this group of "lawmakers" have no clue.

Assuming that you are correct, your writing identifies you as the product of a government education.

Archived