Preseason AP Poll = inaccurate (& irrelevent)

AUloggerhead

All my brains are hurts now.

How many damn brains do you have?

Golf, my head hurts where my brain used to be...

This certainly doesn't come as a surprise. While I have some reservations about the playoff format as is, this is part of what makes it better than the BCS where 2/3 of the rankings came from polls that were still influenced by preseason rankings at season's end.

A couple of years ago, I did a feature on the same topic but researched data back to 1970. What I saw was that writers across the country placed a lot of stock in traditional powers in terms of preseason rankings. I also noted the accuracy of the polls improved after 4 weeks into the season. This is the primary reason why I believes polls should not come out until every team has played at least 4 games. It helps weed out the "pretenders" and places a higher value on the dark horse teams.

A couple of years ago, I did a feature on the same topic but researched data back to 1970. What I saw was that writers across the country placed a lot of stock in traditional powers in terms of preseason rankings. I also noted the accuracy of the polls improved after 4 weeks into the season. This is the primary reason why I believes polls should not come out until every team has played at least 4 games. It helps weed out the "pretenders" and places a higher value on the dark horse teams.

That's one good thing about the Playoff Committee's Poll not coming out until later.

Even worse s they don' account for the fact that the poll actually causes some of what little success it does have, Some teams get credits for beating teams that were on that preseason poll even if they prove they are not good, That is why polls should wait till later so as not to prejudice the outcome . WDE

Stat, the CFP member referenced rankings by national polls as justification in their initial polls. So while they wait several weeks but still give credit to the worthless initial preseason polls. WDE

TL DR

Is there any dumber/lazier comment than TL:DR?

First?

This?

Those are shorter, and maybe dumber; but not lazier, IMO.

ETA: And really, they're only shorter in the sense that they're one word, rather than an acronym for a phrase.

We are judging the accuracy of an opinion poll based on the results of an opinion poll?

This idea that you can have an "accurate" ranking system is why we are still deciding our champion by voting. Some day the only relevance of polls will be to select at large bids, hopefully sooner rather than later.

The polls are just marketing....a way for the various media sources to generate readership and hits on their sites. Not surprising that the further from the end of the "journey" the less accurate the predictions......this concept pretty much applies to most of life.....we don't see the future very clearly.....otherwise my 401k would not be down 6% in the past couple weeks.

IMO the early polls don't do much harm as long as people don't take them seriously or make important decision based on them. I think there was a time when the polls were a good source of information for sports fans....before the internet, before the computer calculations, before ESPN, etc. etc.

These days, anyone who follows sports closely probably has a better handle on relative strength of teams than many journalists who follow their region....or coaches who download their poll responses to some staffer. As noted above, they are generally just an average of people's opinions.

Start publishing polls after 4 weeks, or 5 weeks or whenever...... the closer we get to December, the more reliable the polls will be since most of the data will be revealed along the way and there are fewer potential surprises left to occur. That result is to be expected.....and should be respected by people following the polls. Don't worry about your team being 'dissed'.....and don't place your bet on the AU vs UGA game in September.

Just saying...IMO, read the polls, yack about them, dispute their accuracy.....but don't take them too seriously.

Never take a poll seriously. They are full of favoritism, people's wants and dreams, influenced by the media, and just bad information.

Polls are a worthless way to run college football. Yet here we are still clinging to them like a lost child. While the initial committe poll doesn't come out until after week 6, their poll is still effected by the current ap, coaches, and every other poll out there. And all of those polls are still effected by their initial preseason rankings, especially when there are teams ranked who have played an entire season of what should be dev 2 and 3 teams.

There is only one way to fix college football. You take the winner from each of the 10 conferences and have a true playoff. No at large bids, no extra teams based on someone's dream or wants.

Before you start crying about the irrelevant conferences and teams not deserving to be there I have 2 things to say about that.

1. This would only be a problem to fans and teams who are butt hurt about not being in the playoffs because they didn't win their conference. Quit crying and win.

2. The so called undeserving would change in time as teams who can compete but fail to win their conference over time would eventually start shifting to smallet conferences to dominate them just to make the playoffs.

Eventually all this will bring money to the smaller conferences making all 10 worth more as a whole, which would make college football worth more to everyone. There are tons of people who cling to the NFL because of the way we "choose" our champion. And in a way we are still choosing our champion. Until polls and opinions are no longer part of college football it will remain a fictional championship. Until polls areally no longer a part of college football it will always be influenced by some guys wishes, hopes, and dreams before the season even starts.

Rereading my diatribe, I should have said: even afyear week 6 the polls are "infected", not effected, with peoples wishes,hopes, and dreams.

Never take a poll seriously. They are full of favoritism, people's wants and dreams, influenced by the media, and just bad information.

Polls are a worthless way to run college football. Yet here we are still clinging to them like a lost child. While the initial committe poll doesn't come out until after week 6, their poll is still effected by the current ap, coaches, and every other poll out there. And all of those polls are still effected by their initial preseason rankings, especially when there are teams ranked who have played an entire season of what should be dev 2 and 3 teams.

There is only one way to fix college football. You take the winner from each of the 10 conferences and have a true playoff. No at large bids, no extra teams based on someone's dream or wants.

Before you start crying about the irrelevant conferences and teams not deserving to be there I have 2 things to say about that.

1. This would only be a problem to fans and teams who are butt hurt about not being in the playoffs because they didn't win their conference. Quit crying and win.

2. The so called undeserving would change in time as teams who can compete but fail to win their conference over time would eventually start shifting to smallet conferences to dominate them just to make the playoffs.

Eventually all this will bring money to the smaller conferences making all 10 worth more as a whole, which would make college football worth more to everyone. There are tons of people who cling to the NFL because of the way we "choose" our champion. And in a way we are still choosing our champion. Until polls and opinions are no longer part of college football it will remain a fictional championship. Until polls areally no longer a part of college football it will always be influenced by some guys wishes, hopes, and dreams before the season even starts.

I agree with the notion of win your conference or shut up.

But the solution is to demote the smaller conferences to the FCS. We could have a perfect playoff if the P5 consolidated to four conferences, and the four conference champions competed in a four team playoff.

Letting ten conferences compete in a 16 team playoff is fine in theory, but ultimately we dilute the talent pool when all the good high school players are distributed to 120+ teams rather than 64 teams, and we see more mediocre football.

For all the noise about polls being inaccurate, last year's preseason Top 25 had all 4 playoff participants ranked in the top 5. They missed badly on Oklahoma (#3) and TCU (unranked) among others, but as far as the playoff goes, they were pretty dang close.

We are judging the accuracy of an opinion poll based on the results of an opinion poll?

This idea that you can have an "accurate" ranking system is why we are still deciding our champion by voting. Some day the only relevance of polls will be to select at large bids, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Can you explain what you mean by this, Aufan59?

Archived