Fearless Predictions

WarEagleFL

Game of the Week

Auburn (4-0) at Tennessee (3-0), 7:45 pm EST ESPN

Get your favorite SEC team's gear

Why to watch: In a showdown of two of the SEC's three unbeaten teams, the Vols are looking for payback after a 28-21 loss last year that ended up costing them an SEC East title. Auburn won a nail-biting 10-9 classic against LSU to become the favorite in the SEC West race and can't afford any slipups. While there are still several major landmines ahead, a win over the Vols could get the Tiger faithful dreaming of the Orange Bowl with the only two road games left at Ole Miss and Alabama (while still having to host Arkansas and Georgia.) Is this a preview of the SEC championship game? If Georgia slips somewhere along the way, it could be. 

Why Auburn might win: After losing Karlos Dansby, Dontarrious Thomas and a slew of other great defensive players, most were assuming the Auburn defense would struggle early on. Nope. The Tigers are ninth in the nation in total defense and second in scoring D allowing a total of 26 points so far with 14 of them coming in garbage time against Mississippi State. Tennessee's run defense has been good, but it didn't stop Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats cold and still has to prove it can be a brick wall without LB Kevin Simon.

Why Tennessee might win: All the attention is on the Auburn running game with its great backfield, but it's Tennessee who leads the SEC in rushing with an offensive line doing a fantastic job of paving the way for Cedric Houston and the great Volunteer backs. The offense has had few problems in the first three games, even against Florida, marching on the ground to take the pressure off the young quarterbacks. Auburn's offense has been fine and efficient, but it hasn't blown up like Tennessee's. Can Auburn keep up in a shootout?

Who to watch: Tennessee is still playing around with the two quarterback system, but Erik Ainge is growing more and more into a full-time player throwing an unfreshman-like eight touchdown passes and one interception. However, this is a huge SEC game usually meaning the team with the veteran quarterback wins, and Auburn's Jason Campbell has seen it all before. With 613 passing yards and six touchdowns, he has been more effective than ever proving how valuable he is in the late game-winning drive against LSU. The Tiger backfield remains loaded with Ronnie Brown ready to play after resting against The Citadel with a hamstring problem. While Brown and Carnell Williams get all the publicity, Tennessee's Cedric Houston has been every bit as good coming off a 160-yard, two touchdown performance against Louisiana Tech.

What will happen: Auburn's defensive front seven has been tremendous, but Tennessee's offensive line is playing as well as any group in the SEC. While the Volunteer return game has been abysmal, the kicking game will shine with Dustin Colquitt controlling the field position giving the Tigers a long field all game long.

CFN Prediction: Tennessee 17 ... Auburn 14 ... Line: Alabama -5 | Discuss this game with experts 

Must See Rating: (5 lock yourself in a room to watch - 1 I'd Do Anything) ... 5

Fearless Predictions

They say UT's run defense has been good, but I thought they haven't been able to stop anyone on the ground. Thats what I've been reading a lot of this board anyway.

All the attention is on the Auburn running game with its great backfield, but it's Tennessee who leads the SEC in rushing with an offensive line doing a fantastic job of paving the way for Cedric Houston and the great Volunteer backs. The offense has had few problems in the first three games, even against Florida, marching on the ground to take the pressure off the young quarterbacks. Auburn's offense has been fine and efficient, but it hasn't blown up like Tennessee's. Can Auburn keep up in a shootout?

Fearless Predictions

105876[/snapback]

Hmm.... this sounds strangely familiar... :ermm:

Didn't AU's offense blow up against UT last year? Didn't the AU backfield prove who was #1 in the SEC? :muscles:

I'm looking forward to it happening again!

I have a little trouble with this part:

While the Volunteer return game has been abysmal, the kicking game will shine with Dustin Colquitt controlling the field position giving the Tigers a long field all game long.

Field Position? Did these guys even watch the LSU game and Kody Bliss?

From what I've seen, Colquit is one of the best punters in the nation.  He's good.

105971[/snapback]

Good enough to become a factor in a game where everyone is predicting there to be 20+ points scored by each team? The more he's on the field, that means the more that UT isn't scoring. I say let him be their #1 player for the day!

From what I've seen, Colquit is one of the best punters in the nation.  He's good.

105971[/snapback]

Good enough to become a factor in a game where everyone is predicting there to be 20+ points scored by each team? The more he's on the field, that means the more that UT isn't scoring. I say let him be their #1 player for the day!

106025[/snapback]

Excellent point.

bliss is the next best thing to colquit. ut's got the man at the punter spot, but our boy's good enough to keep him from completely controlling the field position battle.

Archived