Is this the biggest game in Auburn History?

PChamp119

Ranking wise, I'm sure Stat Tiger can help me out here...

I would think Auburn and Alabama have played with similar rankings at some point or maybe just some other matchup... but a 3 vs 5 (Coaches) / 3 vs 8 (AP) has to be up there. I would think definately in the past 10 years.

Watch Gameday go to Harvard again...

I think this would be the 5th top 10 - top 10 game this year? USC-Cal, OU-Texas, Miami-FSU, AU-UT right? Hmmm.... I wonder who has the hardest schedule? Only one of these teams will face a top 10 team twice as a top 10 team. And faced 3 (at the time) overall. That will soon turn into three top 10-top 10 games; 4 overall in Atlanta. That will mean there will be 6 top 10-top 10 games and Auburn will be in 3 of them! Which one was/will be the best matchup. Obviously the AU-UGA will have the most on the line, but USC-Cal can give an argument.

you just confused the hell out of me with all that top ten 10 10 top pop stuff. but i think there was a 1 v 2 auburn alabama game once. Don't really know where i'm getting this from, but I think i remember reading that somewhere. I'll try and look it up.

1963 Aub ( 9 ) - Ala ( 6 )

1971 Aub ( 6 ) - UGA ( 7 )

1972 Aub ( 9 ) - Ala ( 2 )

1983 Aub ( 3 ) - UGA ( 4 )

1984 Aub ( 3 ) - Mich ( 8 ) Bowl

1985 Aub ( 6 ) - UF ( 2 )

1987 Aub ( 6 ) - FSU ( 4 )

1989 Aub ( 7 ) - FSU ( 4 ) Bowl

1994 Aub ( 6 ) - UF ( 1 )

1994 Aub ( 6 ) - Ala ( 4 )

1995 Aub ( 7 ) - UF ( 3 )

2003 Aub ( 6 ) - USC ( 8 )

6-5-1 record

alright...well I don't know where I pulled that game out of. I could have swore I heard or read that somewhere, but I guess I was just dreamin.

That answered my next question...first time since '83 that AU and UGA have both been top 10 when the game was played. Hopefully we'll see the same result as that one (AU 13, UGA 7)

That answered my next question...first time since '83 that AU and UGA have both been top 10 when the game was played.  Hopefully we'll see the same result as that one (AU 13, UGA 7)

116998[/snapback]

the end result would be just great, but I think I will suffer 2 heart attacks before the game is over if its that close ;)

9-0......UGA is the biggest game in AU history

10-0.....UA is the biggest game in AU history

11-0.....SEC Champ. game is the biggest game in AU history

12-0 Orange Bowl is the BIGGEST GAME IN AU HISTORY!!!

As long as we keep winning the next game is going to be the biggest in AU history. One at a time!!!

Lets BEAT THOSE DAWGS!!!!

i agree with MStiger in the context of what is being said and the importance of each of those games THIS YEAR.....in my humble opinion, in 1989,the biggest game in AU history was played....the second that the tires on the bus entered the city limits,AU leveled the playing field against the red devils from turdtown

In this Tiger's humble opinion, DECEMBER 2nd, 1989 is was and ever shall be the biggest game in AU history. They were finally FORCED to come and AU WON the day ! ! ! ! :au:

No doubt, the upcoming UGAly game will be the biggest in school history. With a win, then the UAT game becomes the biggest, same with the SECCG and then , hopefully, The Orange Bowl. As long as we are winning, the next game is the biggest. In terms of putting Auburn above UAT and completing a long drive for equality in the State, the UAT game in 1989 was the biggest.

Anyone can play with history and numbers all they want but I can tell you that this is the BIGGEST game Auburn has played, considering National Implications since 1957! :au: The next one in T town could ;) be bigger considering the same implications.

I would never dream of questioning Stat, so instead I will ask some of you old timers (like me) to tell me where my senile memory has gone astray in this scenario:

My vivid (albeit perhaps inaccurate) memory of 1971 (my senior year in high school and Sullivan's senior, Heisman Trophy year at Auburn) was that we played and beat Georgia when both of us were undefeated, then played and lost to Alabama the following week when both of US were undefeated.

The week before the Iron Bowl (after our Georgia victory) the top 4 teams in the country were 1) Nebraska 2) Oklahoma 3) Alabama and 4) Auburn. We lost to Bama and Oklahoma lost to Nebraska the same day. We went on to play Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl while Bama played Nebraska in a battle between #1 and #2 in the Orange Bowl. Alas, the SEC teams lost both bowls.

Is any of this accurate? Does any of it ring a bell with anyone? Or has my mind created yet another delusional fantasy?

[..not that there's anything wrong with fantasy]

In this Tiger's humble opinion, DECEMBER 2nd, 1989 is was and ever shall be the biggest game in AU history. They were finally FORCED to come and AU WON the day ! ! ! ! :au:

117028[/snapback]

BIGGEST GAME IN THE HISYORY OF AUBURN WAS BAMA IN 89!!!!!!!

I flew in fron Southern California and will never forget it.

Biggest game was Bama 1989 no doubt.

This one will be close though.

Hope it goes our way, and there may be bigger games ahead.

The week before the Iron Bowl (after our Georgia victory) the top 4 teams in the country were 1) Nebraska 2) Oklahoma 3) Alabama and 4) Auburn.  We lost to Bama and Oklahoma lost to Nebraska the same day.  We went on to play Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl while Bama played Nebraska in a battle between #1 and #2 in the Orange Bowl. Alas, the SEC teams lost both bowls.

Is any of this accurate?  Does any of it ring a bell with anyone?  Or has my mind created yet another delusional fantasy?

117116[/snapback]

Not sure about the rankings when they played, but the year is correct:

L 11-27-1971 Auburn 7 Alabama 31

L 01-01-1972 Auburn 22 Oklahoma 40 Sugar Bowl

L 01-01-1972 Alabama 6 Nebraska 38 Orange Bowl

Final UPI Rankings

1 Nebraska 13-0-0

2 Alabama 11-1-0

3 Oklahoma 11-1-0

4 Michigan 11-1-0

5 Auburn (AL) 9-2-0

Final AP Rankings

1 Nebraska 13-0-0

2 Oklahoma 11-1-0

4 Alabama 11-1-0

12 Auburn (AL) 9-2-0

Biggest game was Bama 1989 no doubt.

This one will be close though.

Hope it goes our way, and there may be bigger games ahead.

117436[/snapback]

R. Slack to A. Wright...Sweet.

I would never dream of questioning Stat, so instead I will ask some of you old timers (like me) to tell me where my senile memory has gone astray in this scenario:

My vivid (albeit perhaps inaccurate) memory of 1971 (my senior year in high school and Sullivan's senior, Heisman Trophy year at Auburn) was that we played and beat Georgia when both of us were undefeated, then played and lost to Alabama the following week when both of US were undefeated.

The week before the Iron Bowl (after our Georgia victory) the top 4 teams in the country were 1) Nebraska 2) Oklahoma 3) Alabama and 4) Auburn.  We lost to Bama and Oklahoma lost to Nebraska the same day.  We went on to play Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl while Bama played Nebraska in a battle between #1 and #2 in the Orange Bowl. Alas, the SEC teams lost both bowls.

Is any of this accurate?  Does any of it ring a bell with anyone?  Or has my mind created yet another delusional fantasy?

QF, I don't know about the exact rankings of the four teams, but the rest of your scenario is dead on.  By the way, in '71 we also played Georgia on November 13.

117116[/snapback]

Any game with UGA to me is HUGE!

I'm not native to Alabama. I grew up in Upstate S.C., in a family dominated by Clemson people. I have been orange all my life. I dreamed of running down "The Hill" at Death Valley, rubbin the rock and all. I currently work for the university as a medic for the home games. And while I pledge my allegence to Ole Auburn, I still pull for Clemson somewhat. Just not with the same passion as Auburn. Our common foe has always been Georgia. I dislike Alabama, trust me! But I HATE the dawgs! And for me, at this time in a season that hinges on a win v/s Georgia, I consider it to be the biggest game of my Auburn life. I CHOOSE Auburn over Maryland, Texas Tech, and Clemson because I loved what I saw when I came here in 1993. My scholarship gave me a choice. And while my family was SHOCKED at my decision, I stood firm. I WANT THIS GAME MORE THAN ANY OTHER!

But if we win next Saturday, I may be back saying the same thing about bammer. A national championship shot after last season would be a lifetime dream. I thought we were the best team in 1993, but probation wouldn't let us find out.

Archived