Texas Tech beat Iowa State today in the battle of two former AU coaches

benjazz

Good for Tubs. Unlike some, I have fond memories of his tenure. For the most part, I'm thankful for what he did for Auburn.

Coach Tuberville's ten-year run at Auburn was one of the very best in our history. No telling what he would have accomplished had The Powers not been constantly trying to back-stab him. If Auburn doesn't win the National Championship in any given year, I hope Tuberville's team does.

Coach Tuberville's ten-year run at Auburn was one of the very best in our history. No telling what he would have accomplished had The Powers not been constantly trying to back-stab him. If Auburn doesn't win the National Championship in any given year, I hope Tuberville's team does.

^^ THIS ^^

he had one good season and that was it we were mediocre most of the time and he had plenty of time to get us to the next level and he couldn't recruit as well as we are now

Tubs did a lot more with less talent than what we are doing currently with all the 4, 5, 6 star players this year. I will always appreciate the job he did here. And I'm happy for Rhodes. He's doing a good job for a school with major recruiting and facility disadvantages.

I bet both teams know how to look for the football when it's n the air, and most importantly, Tackle!!!

Actually Tubbs does not coach to look back either. For example, remember how LSU beat us on that fade pass with 1 second left. The DB did not look back.

Yeah, that DB was a bum with terrible technique. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerraud_Powers

E, you're a rational person about just about everything except Tuberville. Then, you just turn into a bitter crazy. One season? We went 22-3 in the SEC from 2004-2006. Yeah. Mediocre. You're right.

He was a winner but wasn't championship caliber. The proof is in the pudding. I know we were robbed in 2004 but foundations need to be set years ahead of those seasons just in case things like that happen. Maybe could have swayed more votes... BTW, we didn't exactly destroy VT in the bowl game.

he had one good season and that was it we were mediocre most of the time and he had plenty of time to get us to the next level and he couldn't recruit as well as we are now

I wish Chizik could take mediocre talent and beat mediocre teams. Unfortunately, he needs 4 and 5 star talent and then struggles to beat mediocre teams. It's pretty simple really, Anyone who thinks Chizik is a better coach just isn't paying attention.

Oh wait, We should give Chizik another 4 or 5 years to clean up Tubbs mess.

He was a winner but wasn't championship caliber. The proof is in the pudding. I know we were robbed in 2004 but foundations need to be set years ahead of those seasons just in case things like that happen. Maybe could have swayed more votes... BTW, we didn't exactly destroy VT in the bowl game.

So in otherwords, he's no Chizik.

I wish Chizik could take mediocre talent and beat mediocre teams. Unfortunately, he needs 4 and 5 star talent and then struggles to beat mediocre teams. It's pretty simple really, Anyone who thinks Chizik is a better coach just isn't paying attention.

Oh wait, We should give Chizik another 4 or 5 years to clean up Tubbs mess.

The perfect combo would be Chizik's recruiting, and Tubbs' player development and Defenses.

Yeah, that DB was a bum with terrible technique. http://en.m.wikipedi.../Jerraud_Powers

E, you're a rational person about just about everything except Tuberville. Then, you just turn into a bitter crazy. One season? We went 22-3 in the SEC from 2004-2006. Yeah. Mediocre. You're right.

Some people just have selective memory when it comes to Coach Tub. We beat a hell of a lot more teams than just bama under him. His stat's speak for themselves.

I am glad for Coach Tub. I am, and will always be, a Coach Tub fan.

First game with a new QB in the loss the Georgia Tech (when that same new QB threw 4 INTs), and we're calling that "inexcusable"? Really? Disappointing? Yep. Unexpected? Somewhat. Inexcusable? Not even close. Wisconsin, I'll agree with you there.

In 2006, turns out people were just wrong about that Arkansas team. They ended up going 7-1 in regular season conference play. It was an unexpected loss because Arkansas got manhandled the first week of the season by USC. Then, they regrouped. They reconfigured the offense to feature two guys named Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, and they didn't lose again until the last week of the season in a great game with LSU. They went 7-1 in the SEC!!! We can pretend like that was a terrible loss all you want, but that's just make-believe. It was an unexpected loss, and it was disappointing that we couldn't get stops in the second half. In hindsight though? Not an awful loss.

The only games in that three year stretch where we "choked" were Wisconsin (2005) and UGA (2006). It happens. You can pretend like he was just an average coach all you want. I'm just saying you sound like a bitter crazy.

Research says differently. Do some. He won 9 games or more at Auburn 6 of the 10 years he was here. His teams won 3 division championships and an SEC title.

My apologies to the board. There is no changing my opinion of my thoughts of the last half of Tubbs Tenure at Auburn but I will not speak of it publicly anymore.

Sincerely,

Ellitor

So in otherwords, he's no Chizik.

No he's not. He's also not Saban, Miles, or Meyer. They got rings to prove it.

Great players and great senior leadership fell in Chizik's lap. One thing Chizik did do right was hire a great staff that could recruit. I don't know why it's so hard to believe. Tubs had his 10 years to prove it. Couldn't do it.

First game with a new QB in the loss the Georgia Tech (when that same new QB threw 4 INTs), and we're calling that "inexcusable"? Really? Disappointing? Yep. Unexpected? Somewhat. Inexcusable? Not even close. Wisconsin, I'll agree with you there.

In 2006, turns out people were just wrong about that Arkansas team. They ended up going 7-1 in regular season conference play. It was an unexpected loss because Arkansas got manhandled the first week of the season by USC. Then, they regrouped. They reconfigured the offense to feature two guys named Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, and they didn't lose again until the last week of the season in a great game with LSU. They went 7-1 in the SEC!!! We can pretend like that was a terrible loss all you want, but that's just make-believe. It was an unexpected loss, and it was disappointing that we couldn't get stops in the second half. In hindsight though? Not an awful loss.

The only games in that three year stretch where we "choked" were Wisconsin (2005) and UGA (2006). It happens. You can pretend like he was just an average coach all you want. I'm just saying you sound like a bitter crazy.

I never said or implied he was an average coach. There is no denying that when he was motivated he was a great coach. But that is all in the past and I am moving on from this. Again I apologize for the stir I caused.

My favorite thing is how people like to pretend like Chizik needed all this time to rebuild an understocked cupboard, but somehow they ignore what Tuberville did with a FAR FAR FAR worse situation. If you think we had a talent or depth deficit when Chizik walked in, the 1999 roster must look like ground zero at Hiroshima. We were a dumpster fire when Tommy walked into the program. You think Tuberville failed to recruit? Terry Bowden's recruiting made Tommy look like some combination of Ed Orgeron, Rodney Garner, and Trooper Taylor.

What'd he do? He retooled the team completely and got us to the SEC title game in Year 2. Given the front line talent on that team, that's almost as impressive as hoisting a crystal ball in 2010 from a coaching perspective. We have folks willing to give Chizik time and ignore the blowouts in 2011 (his third year... I'm one of those people) but some of those same people still hold the 2001 Arkansas game and the 2001 Iron Bowl against Tuberville (in his third year)? How does that make sense?!? If, at the end of this season, we're the scariest team in the SEC (like we were at the end of the 2002 season), then Gene's doing every bit as good a job as Tuberville.

Tommy had one outlier: 2003. That was the fluke. Otherwise, you see clear progression season on season. We had a bit of sooner-than-expected success in 2000. Took a slight step back in 2001. Grew up in 2002. Hit our potential in 2004 (the best Auburn team in my lifetime). Played great football for two more years. Took a slight step back in 2007 (finished the year on an 8-2 run with the only losses to National Champion LSU and scary as hell UGA). The biggest mistake he made was replacing Borges. We would've been fine, but he tried to transition to the spread, hired the wrong guy, and lost his job. Fair enough. But let's not pretend like he was constantly mediocre or like he couldn't consistently build.

Win totals by season: 5 (would've won more if Leard had been healthy), 9 (more than anyone expected), 7, 9 (while replacing the QB midseason and seeing your starting RB break his ankle midseason), 8 (horrible job), 13, 9 (with a new QB/RB battery and only one conference loss), 11 (which is somehow seen as a bad year), 9, 5 (made a terrible OC hire).

You don't see mediocre there. You see a team that won the West in 2000, could've won in 2002 (missed a chip shot field goal in Gainesville and lost on a last second heave against UGA... either win puts us in Atlanta over Arkansas), won the SEC in 2004, lost a tie break in 2005 (after five missed FGs in Baton Rouge), had a shot in 2006 and 2007 (but for a last second TD in Baton Rouge... I hate that place). We were almost always in the race for the West.

Archived