Research firm calling AU Alumni

DyeHardAllTheWay

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

A lot of the greatest military leaders were know womanizers, just saying.

And more of them weren't

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

That's what it seems, most all SEC teams have or will step it up, and here we sit with Joe Blow an unknown assistant from Podunk U. I believe the ones that want BP are basically not trusting the idiots doing the hiring.

The Strong mystery interview

Allowing Luper and Trooper to stay on

And now this

And some wonder if BP might get us bad PR, that is happening already. WAKE UP PEOPLE

Well I realize both sides love AU, so I will not say either side should be banished for feeling the way they do. I understand both sides.

But I would like to point out that not hiring Petrino just smacks of hypocrisy to me. As much as some bury their heads in the sand, AU's football program is not the bastion of morality and hasn't been for at least 30 years. Dye has had his off the field issues (and I love CPD). Tot had the SAME issue Petrino had, but did it while at AU! Tubs has his "pine box" moment as well as his yearly habit of using the sleazeball Jimmy Sexton to get him raises. It is interesting to note that Tubs run a cleaner program than either Tot or Chizik even though Tot and Chizik were quick to talk about religion while Tubs almost never did.

On top of that, AU has had its fair share of players who were from the wrong side of the tracks. Chizik had more of those types of players than I remember from any prior staff. If the AU creed people were really serious, they would have marched on campus and demanded Chiz suspend Dyer and all the other players he had that were of questionable morals, but nope, they cared more about winning. And now they want to sit here and lecture us about "winning at all costs" when the AU program has been about that for a long time. Part of it is that AU has been forced into this mindset by bammer, but also by LSU, UF, USCe, UT, etc. All of the top programs in this league have the mentality of winning. It's just reality and AU is no different. We can either choose to win or choose to be Vandy. It's really that simple.

Well said

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

I agree the guy made an egregious and immoral mistake but guys in his position get caught up in the power. I was living in Little Rock when this all went down and he was the Saban of Arkansas......I was (not so secretly) hoping he would get fired b/c I knew he was building a powerful program there. Again, not saying he is my first choice but I would applaud the administration at AU for making a ballsy and right minded hire if we do hire Petrino. There would not be a more motivated coach on the planet to get his professional and social integrity righted!!

The polling question could be to see what the popularity of hiring Petrino would be. Not an awful idea if you plan on hiring someone with a shady past and want to see what percentage of the contributing alumnus would be on board.

The truth of the matter is that if you hire Petrino, you're going to polarize a large chunk of the fan base. And I don't mean 'make them a little mad'. More like, shock them into reconsidering whether or not the Auburn family and administration believes in their own creed or not. It may not be as large of a pool as I might have originally thought, but I would be one of them. This is a chance for Auburn to prove we are more than a university seeking to win a few football games. Do we believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect of my fellow men? Because if we do, Petrino should not have our respect. The only reason he does is because he wins. I'm looking for more than just wins. Maybe I'm looking for too much?

We're hiring someone to be a football coach, not to be the Pope. If you want and honest, truthful, good man then you need to drive up to the athletic complex and try and convince them to rehire Gene.

We aren't going to change eachother's views...even though I think you have severely skewed mine. I never said I needed someone who was on the level of pope. Just not on the level of lying adulterer. I'm going to leave it at that.

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

That's what it seems, most all SEC teams have or will step it up, and here we sit with Joe Blow an unknown assistant from Podunk U. I believe the ones that want BP are basically not trusting the idiots doing the hiring.

And now this

And some wonder if BP might get us bad PR, that is happening already. WAKE UP PEOPLE

Well I realize both sides love AU, so I will not say either side should be banished for feeling the way they do. I understand both sides.

But I would like to point out that not hiring Petrino just smacks of hypocrisy to me. As much as some bury their heads in the sand, AU's football program is not the bastion of morality and hasn't been for at least 30 years. Dye has had his off the field issues (and I love CPD). Tot had the SAME issue Petrino had, but did it while at AU! Tubs has his "pine box" moment as well as his yearly habit of using the sleazeball Jimmy Sexton to get him raises. It is interesting to note that Tubs run a cleaner program than either Tot or Chizik even though Tot and Chizik were quick to talk about religion while Tubs almost never did.

On top of that, AU has had its fair share of players who were from the wrong side of the tracks. Chizik had more of those types of players than I remember from any prior staff. If the AU creed people were really serious, they would have marched on campus and demanded Chiz suspend Dyer and all the other players he had that were of questionable morals, but nope, they cared more about winning. And now they want to sit here and lecture us about "winning at all costs" when the AU program has been about that for a long time. Part of it is that AU has been forced into this mindset by bammer, but also by LSU, UF, USCe, UT, etc. All of the top programs in this league have the mentality of winning. It's just reality and AU is no different. We can either choose to win or choose to be Vandy. It's really that simple.

Well said

Like the pot calling the kettle black

Unless the poll is vetting the the person being polled up front, it's worthless. Asking a university's graduates about possible football hires is almost as bad as asking them about possible hires for the university presidency. The average alum does not follow college football closely enough to know who the head coaching candidates are.

They could have been looking for other feedback and the coaching choices were just an ploy to keep you on the phone?

I was also in the Air Force and I think you are spreading this stuff on a little thick. Leaders of men ? Do you think Eisenhower wasn't a good leader because of his transgressions and should have been decommissioned instead of leading D Day ? How about when he was President or for that matter several of our Presidents ?

Why do you think that Auburn is lowering its standards to hire a person who has fallen previously ? You don't give my Alma Mater much credit if you think that is the case because Auburn isn't lowering any standard and it shouldn't. The person who is being hired has to raise their standard up to meet Auburn's higher standard not the other way around. If the new hire can't continue to operate at that higher standard, they will be fired. Quite frankly, I think it speaks highly of Auburn if they are willing to give someone another chance if they are convinced the person redeemed themselves and is deserving.

I think you are all reading too much into this. It's probably a media poll by someone like AL.com, trying to drum up data for a hit piece about how the fans are so divided on who the next coach should be.

I was also in the Air Force and I think you are spreading this stuff on a little thick. Leaders of men ? Do you think Eisenhower wasn't a good leader because of his transgressions and should have been decommissioned instead of leading D Day ? How about when he was President or for that matter several of our Presidents ?

Why do you think that Auburn is lowering its standards to hire a person who has fallen previously ? You don't give my Alma Mater much credit if you think that is the case because Auburn isn't lowering any standard and it shouldn't. The person who is being hired has to raise their standard up to meet Auburn's higher standard not the other way around. If the new hire can't continue to operate at that higher standard, they will be fired. Quite frankly, I think it speaks highly of Auburn if they are willing to give someone another chance if they are convinced the person redeemed themselves and is deserving.

What is dangerous to me is not the affair. That happens. It's bad but is based on a normal human function that some men and women do not seem to be able to control. The two bad things are first the hiring of an unqualified candidate, breaking labor laws leaving the school wide open to lawsuits. From what I have read if Ike he never prompted an officer into a position for which others were better qualified for sex. the second is the 2003 meeting to replace the man who revived his career. Sorry, loyalty is high on my list of things I like. Plus Petrino is an 2:1 coach at Arkansas (34-17) so I don't know why everyone thinks he is the end all coach. He's a hell of a play caller though.

I have limited privileges, as a new-scum. So, I can't start threads.

I stumbled on something I'd like to bring up on the boards.

Multiple websites have us playing Georgia at home - again - next year.

Anyone else seen that? Any idea why the change? I've always thought the athletics department scheduled the Turds in year when we played LSU and UGA away, so we would still sell season tickets. Next year, it is the Turds and UGA at home. It is still nicely balanced, IMVHO. But, when did that meeting occur, and how did they settle on us getting back-to-back at home?

What in the hell are doing with a research firm asking the alumni who we want to be the coach.....Why don't we just put a poll up on the website.

JJ has no business hiring another coach.

Unreal! JJ that is!

First bed checks, now this! What a laughing stock JJ has made our Univesity!

Really off the mark by a wide margin. its all about business...not sin, not moral high ground, not about bammers. I suppose you could somehow be further off the mark but I swear I do not know how!

This is one of the many reasons JJ needs to be fired and we need a Pres. that has the back-bone to do it!

What an idiot! Next JJ will be growing Elvis sideburns or something!

A search firm asking about AD's would be nice.

POST of the year.

I am so tired of this moralizing and rationalizing .

BP and his women, I have serious reservations concerning his

ethics as to hiring the chick on the side and putting his employers in a serious litigation situation.

That said, all this is BS to cover up to me what is the 8 K lb gorilla in the room, JJ can't get a serious hire.

Oh the Fishers, the P's will listen, go to their ADs and get nice raises, " thank you very much AU ".

We'll debate BP all the way to either not ethcially pure enough or he takes another job,

but that is part of the deception.

It hides the fact JJ can't attract better than an up and coming candidate for a 100 million dollar business.

So, learn on the job and let us all be ethically pious if it lets us ignore the obvious.

Until we get a competent strong and independent leader as an AD. we will Settle for whoever and whatever set of circumstances

lets us keep the SOSO and we settle for JABA.

And now this

Standing Ovation!!

Except that Vandy is on the rise and we… well… aren't.

POST of the year.

ethics as to hiring the chick on the side and putting his employers in a serious litigation situation.

That said, all this is BS to cover up to me what is the 8 K lb gorilla in the room, JJ can't get a serious hire.

Oh the Fishers, the P's will listen, go to their ADs and get nice raises, " thank you very much AU ".

We'll debate BP all the way to either not ethcially pure enough or he takes another job,

It hides the fact JJ can't attract better than an up and coming candidate for a 100 million dollar business.

So, learn on the job and let us all be ethically pious if it lets us ignore the obvious.

Until we get a competent strong and independent leader as an AD. we will Settle for whoever and whatever set of circumstances

I do not beilieve JJ is making this hire which kind of limits my ability to agree with any of your post. I do not believe the members of the search committee that was assembled would have agreed to what they've agreed to if JJ was going to be making this hire but thats just my take.

POST of the year.

It was mentioned before on this board that Will Muschamp would be within reach were it not for JJ.

And, this is how I feel about that:

musraaage.0_standard_730.0.gif

"That said, all this is BS to cover up to me what is the 8 K lb gorilla in the room, JJ can't get a serious hire."

His job is to make a "successful hire".

Who knows what a serious hire is: UT made one with Kiffin, Arky made one with BP (and look what it got them) UNC hired Butch Davis and now has NCAA troubles, I'm sure there are cases out there but I can't think of a lot of "serious" hires out there. Many/most current coaches' job before their current home was at some non-SEC school and sometimes as coordinators. Call the names one by one and see what I mean.

Essentially every coach in the SEC was not in the SEC before they got here and had not won in the SEC until they got the chance. The argument that a coach has to have won in the SEC before he is a "serious" hire defies logic and history.

A successful hire, is a goal to be proven .

Taking a wild shot , our up and coming coordinator model, is usually not a formula for getting someone who will become a successfull hire.

Besides, BTDT ; Doug Barfield was our last hire with that model.

If you make a hire based upon their proven abilities, Saban to ua, that is a serious hire.

If you make a hire based upon a proven level of success and experience, Muschamp as a proven SEC assistant and Coach in Waiting @ UT, that is a serious hire.

If you hire based upon no one else will take your phone call and they'll be glad to get a 4 X muliplier for salary while they figure it out, that, is a JJ hire.

That is our logic and our history

.Standing by for disclaimers based on an established SEC program, based upon who ? Richt ? , in 3 2 1.........

Saban came into the SEC with a mediocre record at Mich State...that's history

Talk to some UF folks about Muschamp and many of them would give him to AU but meanwhile, what was his W-L as "coach in waiting"?

Urban Meyers came to the SEC as a WAC coach I think and everyone said his "offense" and style would not play in the SEC.

Richt was a coordinator

Mullens was a coordinator

Spurrier was at Duke before UF

Sumlin at Houston in USA or something

Miles had a mediocre record at Oka State and LSU fans howled when they hired him

Franklin was a coordninator at Maryland

Kiffin was a former NFL coach.....and how did that work out?

Should I go on?

Petrino is not the man to coach AU football. It's not just that he's morally bankrupt, it's that he's a proven winner that can win 8 or 9 games most years. I'm just not sold on his coaching ability or his competence in hiring capable assistants. If he becomes our coach and still loses to 'Bama and LSU a few times, the natives will again get restless and start wanting yet another change. Every sportswriter (using the word loosely) out there will get blisters on their fingers writing about how we sold out and got what we deserved.

The SEC is getting stronger. If Franklin stays at Vandy and Freeze at Ole Miss those programs might not become world beaters but they'll become teams that can beat any other team on a given Saturday.

No matter who we hire as head football coach, we're taking a chance on their having success in the arena. Success at one school does not mean success at another. Why take another chance by hiring a coach that is a moral equivalent to Richard Scrushy? Like with Scrushy, it doesn't matter what Petrino says and does while his neck is in the sling. History proves that to be the case with most any coach, The only real data that we can trust is his actions over his career, and if that doesn't put up a red flag then nothing will. I surely wouldn't want you to be the personnel director at my company.

Right now, there are too many other viable options. Would those that want Petrino be upset with Franklin? With Strong? I think hires like those would bring the Auburn Family together. Petrino will only further splinter us.

Anyone who questions Petrino's ability as a coach doesn't know what they're talking about. He's the only coach that's taken 2 programs to their FIRST BCS bowl game. Say you don't like him, but you can't question the man's coaching ability.

Archived