***2016 GT CB Marshall Taylor (AU commit 4/3/16)***

aujeff11

I think I read somewhere it was in big part due to Coach McGriff (Crime Dog) and the relationship they have!

That was part of it. Seeing how good our DL is, at least in practice was a big factor too.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I read somewhere it was in big part due to Coach McGriff (Crime Dog) and the relationship they have!

That was part of it. Seeing how good our DL is, at least in practice was a big factor too.

^^This^^

• 1 month later...

If this young man comes in and helps us to win some games such as bammer, Lsu, and Uga he will be worth his weight in gold.

If this young man comes in and helps us to win some games such as bammer, Lsu, and Uga he will be worth his weight in gold.

welcome back Doc! How is your chemo treatment going?

This kid gonna have to play lights out to beat out Dean... Also al.com talking bout how Roberts and Ruffin are the #1 safety's. Can they really beat out Trey and Rudy? Saying Rudy is gonna play nicke. U know what guys we have some serious guys in the back. Rudy, Trey, Irvin, Dean, Davis boys, Dinson and then u have guys like Holsey and ummm the other guy that was hurt lol..

This kid gonna have to play lights out to beat out Dean... Also al.com talking bout how Roberts and Ruffin are the #1 safety's. Can they really beat out Trey and Rudy? Saying Rudy is gonna play nicke. U know what guys we have some serious guys in the back. Rudy, Trey, Irvin, Dean, Davis boys, Dinson and then u have guys like Holsey and ummm the other guy that was hurt lol..

Likely won't have to beat out Rudy. He played Nickel almost solely the last part of last year & that's likely where he will be this year. That positions plays around 80% of the time in our scheme. On Trey yes if he continues w/ injuries or struggles.

Personal opinion, Roberts was our best safety last year. Ford played a lot of nickel down the stretch, but he was also playing safety then. We did a lot more mixing coverages and shifting to disguise schemes with him closer to the line. He can always drop back on a given play.

Dean is a wildcard, and there is a possibility that Carlton Davis is suspended for some piece of the Clemson game. Holsey or Taylor could start. Dinson won't be back this year. Unfortunately.

So, my question is this: If we have all this great talent and depth at the various DB spots, why did we sign Marshall Taylor? The staff must not see the defensive backfield as the rose garden we fans think it will be.

So, my question is this: If we have all this great talent and depth at the various DB spots, why did we sign Marshall Taylor? The staff must not see the defensive backfield as the rose garden we fans think it will be.

Good point, it does make you wonder.

Maybe think of it as a depth issue and making the current ones have more competition to improve.

Not talent, it's experience they are after. They need to fill the gap until the players previously mentioned get reps under their belt.

Maybe the others stepped up and improved more than the coaches thought they would

Great point,This is the logic I use with the qb situation. I thought I was the only person who thought like this

Makes sense to me. Holsey can't be truly relied upon, and he's the only CB with any experience opposite Davis. If Dinson were healthy, the need might not be as strong, but Taylor seems like perfect Holsey injury insurance or a guy to push Dean/Holsey to start or a potential third CB with length for dime sets.

I also think Roberts is a great player and will start. But from what I read it sounds like Holsey is odd man out. They have staters as, Dean, Davis, Ford, Roberts and Ruffin in the 5 DB set. With the other Davis as 3rd CB. Holsey is at nickel I think behind Ford and Irvin. I hope Taylor is great and starts cause it sure helps our depth to have Dean as 3rd CB with Davis 4th. I just really like our depth. Ruffin, Trey, Boston, Ford and Roberts can all play IMO. And I think we are finally starting to have depth that doesn't drop off much.

Great point,This is the logic I use with the qb situation. I thought I was the only person who thought like this

The logic works. Now, when we sign a QB your point will be valid. If we don't sign a QB (and it appears that we wont), then maybe they don't see as much of a need at QB as they did with the "sign one for depth" DB position.

Dean is far from set. He's looked good, but from the folks I talk to, it's not clear he's another Carlton Davis this season. He's a Montae Pitts. Length and talent but only the future knows what's coming. Holsey is far from the odd man out. We have no clue who the CB rotation will be, and that's especially true with a potential suspension pending and/or an injury during the season.

Logic shows that if the coaches were worried about depth and quality they bring in someone to shore it up. Logic also shows that, if that person brought in has not secured a position, then the ones that were here previous to his arival must have grown and developed to a level not forseen by the coaches.

Archived