AU Defensive Line Depth

TigerWar

2 hours ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

You could say the same for SW. The dude was literally sun tanning on the sideline as even Vegas was thinking JJ had a shot at the Heisman. He wasn't thinking he had a chance to play more than clean-up for 2 years until JJ graduated. But then boom, JJ went full crazy. 

We cant judge the QBs on a freshman(rs*) performance that they were not prepared for. What % of QBs have you seen come in as 2nd string unknowingly and just light up the scoreboard. There aren't many. The offense was not groomed for him and they dont have the experience. Gus didnt trust him and our offense went stagnant. 

I guarantee you a healthy SW improves there is no way he digresses. We had these same conversations about Jason many years ago and then one year the lights came on. These QBs are like wines, they need a little aging. 

100% accurate and </End derail>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope SW, JF3 or JJ light it up this year.  But right now QB is the weakest position on the AU team.

Hope SW or JF3 would be one of types like Bo who just ball out in games. My hope is that JF3 turn out to be this. 

You obviously watched a different SW than I did last season. The kid didn't even expect to play, much less thrust into the starting role early in the season. However, I thought Sean White was damn near awesome before his injury considering he was still a freaking redshirt freshman with no expectation to be the starter. Oh, and another thing, that redshirt freshman quarterback that wasn't expecting to play, he was the first Auburn quarterback since Dameyune Craig in '97 to throw for 250 yards in three straight games.

You're a knowledgable poster WDE, so I'm surprised you're so down on SW. After winning the Elite 11 MVP this is his 3rd year in the program and I'm expecting a damn fine signal caller.

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

So now we should move on to how we lost Craig and LSU thought he was a good WR coach and now we have Burns. I wonder how our WR's basketball skills are? To bad their not as fast as Usain Bolt. 

Lets just cut to the chase and admit that these topics are meaningless until we find out what these said people are bench pressing. 

I think our defense will average about 310.00 total yards per game allowed for 2016. If the offense can average around 450 plus yards per game, we will win a lot of games and who knows where we may wind up.

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Lets just cut to the chase and admit that these topics are meaningless until we find out what these said people are bench pressing. 

I thought bench press was meaningless ??? If u really wanna know how good they are put the football on a string. 

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell no I expect more threads after the season starts about I told you so

You guys obviously get paid by volume.....otherwise you would pin most of these threads after about half dozen pages.

So which currently active thread will beat that dead horse enough to get to 100 pages. ?

I remember the days of 100 pages............everyone would just post even if they added nothing to get the page count up.

Just like this post.  :wareagle:

11 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

What about Leard '98? Campbell '01? Todd '08?

Nope.  Didn't destroy them.  Only Frazier. 

:poke:

19 hours ago, DAG said:

You and me both..you and me both. I miss the Auburn Defense glory days. My favorite game was the AU-UF game of 2006. Our defense was lighting people up. The loudest game I've ever been to. 

Both of you just need to wait about two more weeks.

29 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Both of you just need to wait about two more weeks.

I hope so. As pessimistic as I'm feeling about AU's QB situation after reading this stuff, I'm equally OPTIMISTIC about the Defense.  

I just hope the DB attrition doesn't hurt the depth too much.  That's where I'm most cautious.

13 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Ah so you're saying it was the player, not the opponent, that destroyed the player

My guess would be that through circumstances ie: mental toughness, intestinal fortitude, good coaching, team around them, etc. those other QB's survived and learned through the experience to become solid, if not great, AU QB's in their time.  Evidence would show that because of, or in spite of, those same circumstances Frazier did not.

That's how I interpreted the opinions being offered.

So my opinion would be.... The player. Thus why only Frazier was named.

When the DL can generate pressure without the DC having to send LB's, Safety's and Corners it they key to good defense.  Look back at the our great defenses of the past.  It ain't the DC or the scheme. It's all about the push up front.  You got it you gonna be good.  If you don't you are not.  As Dye used to say "it ain't the X's and O's its the Jimmys and Joes".  When you have the depth up front and can roll those guys in and out and keep them fresh for the end you are going to win a lot of close games.  It's always great to have dominate guys like Rocker and Fairley who can make great plays when the pressure is on but having the depth to keep them fresh is even more important.  

6 hours ago, weagl1 said:

When the DL can generate pressure without the DC having to send LB's, Safety's and Corners it they key to good defense.  Look back at the our great defenses of the past.  It ain't the DC or the scheme. It's all about the push up front.  You got it you gonna be good.  If you don't you are not.  As Dye used to say "it ain't the X's and O's its the Jimmys and Joes".  When you have the depth up front and can roll those guys in and out and keep them fresh for the end you are going to win a lot of close games.  It's always great to have dominate guys like Rocker and Fairley who can make great plays when the pressure is on but having the depth to keep them fresh is even more important.  

I agree. It all starts up front. I am hoping this is a breakthrough year for our d-line. They look really good on paper. I think some success early would go a long way for these guys to keep pushing forward. To get our swagger back on D this group has to play well.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:24 AM, 80Tiger said:

Going to give you a youth pass on best line ever. The line that Tracy Rocker anchored was absolutely dominate. This current line is all about potential at the moment. Yds allowed passing 142 per game. Yds allowed rushing 57.9 per game

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/119313/sec-preseason-position-rankings-front-seven-2

Hmm, number 11 on paper??

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

To be fair, they're talking front 7 and not just D-Line.  Our LB's haven't proven anything yet, though they have more potential than last year's group (and any group we've had since Bynes/Stevens.

All kidding aside, as long as we can stop people on 3rd down, I'll be happy as a opossum eating persimmons. 

It seems like 14 and 15 more so we would of won many of those close games if we could just get a stop on 3rd down. Didn't matter if it was 3rd and 20 or 3rd and 1, it seemed we had real problems stopping folks on 3rd. The DL has a LOT to do with this. 

It would also be nice to generate a consistent pass rush by anyone not named Lawson. Carl is one of the best, but we have got to get pressure from these other guys...

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

All kidding aside, as long as we can stop people on 3rd down, I'll be happy as a opossum eating persimmons. 

It seems like 14 and 15 more so we would of won many of those close games if we could just get a stop on 3rd down. Didn't matter if it was 3rd and 20 or 3rd and 1, it seemed we had real problems stopping folks on 3rd. The DL has a LOT to do with this. 

It would also be nice to generate a consistent pass rush by anyone not named Lawson. Carl is one of the best, but we have got to get pressure from these other guys...

Now I haven't heard that expression in over 40 years. Impressive @Auburn2Eugene

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Now I haven't heard that expression in over 40 years. Impressive @Auburn2Eugene

Yes sir, I was raised by my grandparents, who were probably your parents age, or older. My grandfather was a Navy fighter pilot in the South Pacific in WWII.  He flew a F4U and he taught me all the expressions from the "Greatest Generation."

Back on topic, anyone know if Derrick Brown will be in the rotation? Or will we look to redshirt him since we are so deep in the position? Personally I think it'd be a waste to redshirt him. I personally dont expect to see him stay all 4 years, but what do I know? I thought the same thing about Monte. Also, what about Andrew Williams? I expected big things from him as well...

Archived