Would have been nice to get 1 super star

AURaptor

can't complain. Good coach, solid depth....pip pip  and all that stuff.

143794[/snapback]

Do you not consider Blackmon a super star?

I would rather have super coaches coaching average kids than average coaches coaching superstars.

Some of you guys make me  :puke:   . All you do is read other peoples opinions about players we recruit. You do not look at our team needs, you just want to be the top of someones list. Have you not learned Polls do not mean $#!^ .  If you want players that do drugs become  :ua: fan. If you want a player to run your drugs become :ut: fan. If you want a player that beats his wife become a  :om: fan. If you want a player to be a Fighting Soilder let him come to  :au: .

Just remember opinions are like :moon: everyone has one.

143853[/snapback]

mary jane aint no drug....lol jk :lol::au:

Just seems to me that when a team wins the SEC, goes 13-0, they shouldn't finish 5th or 6th in that conference in recruiting.

143894[/snapback]

We finished 3rd in the SEC behind UT and UGA. Have some faith!

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

144053[/snapback]

Yep, you're right. Upon further review, it seems CTT did pretty damn well. I'll be honest, as a fan, I'm expecting SEVERAL 5 star rated players, not just one. I really was lookin to finish in the top 3 - 5 in recruiting. Also, living in GA, I HATE losing to :uga: in anything..even if its just the apperance of losing. :angry:

::: thinks 24-6, 24-6, 24-6.....::::::::

And yes, I was listening to 'others' talk about how great everyone else's class was, and how GREAT :ut: , :uga: , :ua: , :uf: and :lsu: did while not even mentioning :au:

tray is a superstar but 7 4-stars and 1 5-star? i think we could have gotten a couple more. i just hate how FSU, Miami, and UF can always get amazing players every season. We definently won in our state though. i just hope they got everyone that they really needed.

143834[/snapback]

And what has it gotten them lately? Their classes are almost always overrated. FSU and Miami can't even win their conference championship now. The conference got a little better and now they get banged up all year long like SEC teams do. NOW, they're starting to understand!!!

:au::homer:

It could be worse, you could be a Vandy fan. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143856[/snapback]

Dynamite, yo :D

I agree with those that think the griping is a little bit unnecessary. Tubby knows what the team needs and the type of kids to bring into the program and university. Auburn is one the faster teams I have seen in the :sec: over the past 3 or 4 seasons...could be Tubby is trying to make :au: like the canes of the 80's, just less thuggery. :thumbsup:

143887[/snapback]

A little bit of Jimmy Johnson's mentality about athletic ability and speed and a little bit of Parcell's and Belichik's mentality about a team full of high character, team player, fully devoted FOOTBALL players.

Seems like a perfect combination. The NCAA is not the NFL, but the team with the most superstars is rarely the best team in the NFL. Look at the Steelers and the Patriots teams (from the ownership/management on down the line) that get the right kind of players for their team, most of whom will never be Pro Bowlers.

Recruiting Stars do not a National Champion make! Florida, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee have mostly had better ranked classes than us for the last ten years but if memory serves me correctly that did not help them in 2004 against a better team :au: .

wow . .some of you people . .

For those of you complaining about this class - This is a good class . .period. 12th in the nation, 3rd in the SEC. There are typically only 30 5*'s in country - expecting anyone to get "several" is wishful thinking. However, getting them here and there is huge.

For those of you who think stars don't matter, and rivals has no idea how good someone will be . .let's look at hte 2004 Tigers:

QB - Campbell - 5*

RB - Carnell - 5*, Ronnie 3*

WR - Ben O. - 5*, Devin - 4*, Mix - 4*, Taylor 3*

TE - Wallace - 3*

OL - McNeil - 4*, Ingle - walk on, Palmer, Reddick, and Lindsey - 3*'s

DE - McGlover, Ratliff and Groves - 4*, Eddins - 3*

DL - Jackson and Dickens - 4*

CB - Pitts 4*, Rogers 3*

S - Herring and Rosegeen 3*

K - Yost 4* and Vaughn - 3*

P - Bliss 3*

not a whole lot of 2*'s on the rotation.

We have had only one 5* athlete over the last 5 years not pan out. Brandon Jacobs - the resst - Campbell, Carnell and Ben O.

4*'s have about a 70% chance of becoming solid players in college

It drops significantly from that points.

Yes, overall - I want on my team who the coaches want on our team - but, our coaches wanted Antone Smith, Lucas Taylor, Joe Demps, Brandon Deadrick, Bobby Greenwood, Ryan Stamper on our team - therefore, I wanted them also

Overall, look at how we did - we got the #1 player from the state of UGA

We dominated in state - taking the #1, #3, #4, #5, #7 and #10 players

The #1 player in the state of MS was ours - we stopped recruiting him.

I'm pretty happy with our class.

[color=blue

Dont forget CTT also recruits athletes.

That is, LB and TE's that have great size and speed for converting to other positions. LBs that can put on weight and be a DE or Safeties that can be hard hitters that can be linebackers, TE that can be on the OLine and also move to fullback or DE.

Dont underestimate what we have.

GEEZ.

You guys should see it over on ITAT.

They are in meltdown almost over this 23rd ranked class.

give it time boys. Say, 2-3 years?!!

143837[/snapback]

excellent points. i couldnt agree with you more. who in their right minds think they can just base them being stars by their past performances in high school? hard to measure "heart and desire". u never know how they will adjust. seen too many busts in my day? does anyone remember sean smith "the next bo jackson" from opelika in late 80's"? enuff said....

We have just begun what I call a perpetual positive cycle. We don't usually have a lot of freshemen step in and play. We don't have to. Tubs has recruited the right players that earn their position after a year or 2. This creates leadership. Most teams with young superstar talent lacks the leadership to get the job completed. Recruits see this. The 5's have been convinced by everybody else that they should be getting some award after their first college season. They look at AU and see that the position they play is alread solidly filled for next year. Many have been convinced that they should not have to wait.

It would be nice to go undefeated and pull in the highest rated class in the nation. But at AU we are not the big city. What we are is a program that is just now hitting its stride in that each year we have the talent to replace the talent that just left. That speaks volumes. To get the type of talent that is willing to work and earn their spot off talent and sweat, you have to recruit players with all around work ethic and character. Yes there are exceptions and the staff felt that Antone was one of them. But you aren't gonna see any more Deandre Greens around AU's house any more. By the time these guys step in, they will have demanded leadership, not just showcased talent.

I totally agree with the comment on our situation in Fla with top prospects like Smith, Cromartie, Sims, et. al just toying with us and knowing full well they are NOT going to attend AU. Why waste time and energy on players like that? We even lost Stamper to Fla and Dunham to FUWHO! It's rather frustrating and to say we didn't want these players or they weren't offered is crap! We did and they were! One of our problems is the size of the City of Auburn. If you will notice, larger cities such as Gainsville, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, and Athens always draw top talent because there is so much more to do there for kids. Sometimes it works against them when Mama's want their sons to be out of the big city nightlife, etc. and concentrate on academics. Nevertheless, it IS a fact of life for us. I do feel that there is great value in being able to experience a small town setting while getting a degree, and it does afford one more peace and quiet while studying. Just my thoughts. WDE! :au:

Athens is a large city? UGA should have great classes every year because of all the talent in Georgia and because the only state school to compete with is Ga. Tech. I don't think it has anything to do with Athens. FSU, UF, and Miami should always have great classes because Florida is one the hotbeds for HS talent. Lets face it, most of a state's top talent stay in state.

Archived